Best Playmaking Centers in the NHL

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
For those who still think Matthews does not belong among other centres on this topic.

Oh wow a couple of YouTube clips of great passes. It’s not like you can’t pull together those types of clips for 50% of the forwards in the league. Hell Emerson Etem was one of the worst playmakers I’ve seen in the NHL and there were still a couple of highlight reel assists he put up.

Your post is like illpucks digging up a couple of youtube clips of Ovechkin making nice passes and declaring him a better passer than Backstrom.

HTFN

Feb 8, 2009
There is nothing particularly impressive about these 2 passes.

was going to say it but didn't bother.

first one is basically the kuznetsov special, but he turned his body to do it instead of just wrapping the stick behind him.

second pass, well, seems like nearly every top 6 player in the league has one of them on their reel.

Reactions: The Winter Soldier

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
I'm glad you asked.. I believe Duncan Keith is a 2x Norris winner.

It's even a playmaking sequence...so it follows the actual criteria of the OP.

#FilthyMitts

I remember that play by McDavid just silly.

Imagine if he didn't have Lucic stapled to his wing for a major portion of the year, he likely hits 120+ points.

Reactions: North Cole

dlawong

Nov 24, 2011
Vancouver, Canada
If he is as good as I have seen in the Memorial Cup run last month, I will add Sam Steel to that group. His vision, passing, and creativity are all very impressive. Not knowing if he can do the same at the faster pace and hard checking environment of NHL though, but definitely has the potential. For all NHL players in recent last couple of decades, I would put the retired Pavel Datsyuk in his prime on top of all time list of great passers and play makers, next to the great one.

Current players there are quite a few and the obvious ones have already mentioned in previous posts. By the way the passing part does takes two to tangle, as the puck receiver has to be able to anticipate and able to lay their sticks down properly in order for the pass to complete.

Last edited:

BelovedIsles

Oct 22, 2005
Not enough Barzal in this thread. He creates so many plays out there it’s uncanny. He possesses all the qualities of a world class playmaker: IQ, quickness, pure stickhandling/speed, vision, pass accuracy/softness.

I’m not saying he’s better than Crosby, McD, Thornton, or Backstrom, but he should be in the conversation.

TheMalkinEra

May 1, 2017
What about the highest paid center in the league, the guy in Chicago he had a couple of 40 plus assists seasons. I don't think I've seen his name on the list here.

PenguinSpeed

Oct 4, 2017
Sidney Crosby beats not 1, not 2, not 3, but 4, count them 4, defensive players at once. Put Crosby down as smartest.

HTFN

Feb 8, 2009
Sidney Crosby beats not 1, not 2, not 3, but 4, count them 4, defensive players at once. Put Crosby down as smartest.

definitely the smartest...

"they can't flub the pass if the pass goes in the net".jpg

Sergei Shirokov

Jul 27, 2012
British Columbia
I guess he's not 'in the NHL' anymore, but saucer pass? Henrik Sedin.

Has there ever been another forward in NHL history to score 50 points in a season with less than 5 goals??

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad