Best Playmaking Centers in the NHL

Beebop22

May 4, 2017
How many centres have scored a goal like this going up against a 2x Norris Trophy winner?

I feel like it just has to be about Toronto to make you guys happy. No knock on Matthews, but this is the best playmaker(passing) thread. Matthews could use some work on his passing. Nice goal though.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
Alrighty then, hopefully these plays are a better example of his play making ability.

Nobody is denying he is capable of making plays and is a good passer. He’s just far from elite at it and is much better at goal scoring. He doesn’t belong with names like Crosby, McDavid, Getzlaf, Backstrom etc in terms of playmaking.

But of course as a Leafs fan you want every thread to involve Matthews.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Nobody is denying he is capable of making plays and is a good passer. He’s just far from elite at it and is much better at goal scoring. He doesn’t belong with names like Crosby, McDavid, Getzlaf, Backstrom etc in terms of playmaking.

But of course as a Leafs fan you want every thread to involve Matthews.
I'm not the one who first mentioned Matthews or the one who said his playmaking wasn't that good to start with.

Sharksfan83

Jul 27, 2010
I'm a homer, Thornton is still the best playmaking center. He still dishes out passes that leaves you speechless.

Reactions: ds4130

lwvs84

Jan 25, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
As someone that has hated the Sharks for a long time (mainly because of rivalry with a lot of people I know) and Thornton by association, he isn't the playmaker he used to be... and he should still be on this list.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Sponsor
Oct 23, 2014
There's a slight and subtle distinction between best playmaker and best passer, IMO.

McDavid is obviously the best playmaker because of how dynamic he is and can open the ice up like no one else with his speed. He creates offense like no one else right now.

But best passer, like threading pucks through seams and windows between sticks and legs, Joe Thornton and Sidney Crosby are right there. Nick Backstrom probably too.

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
Matthews is 110th in assists per game since entering the league...

He has one of the best shots in the League. Would HF prefer if he didn't shoot and instead forced passes? I mean this is a 40 goal scoring player, what else should he do? He can make the pass when he needs to.

This is a short video but it shows how great he is at creating space and setting up his team mates. It's just that he is elite at goal scoring so he will do that most of the time.

Section88

Kaner? I hardly know her
Jul 11, 2017
He has one of the best shots in the League. Would HF prefer if he didn't shoot and instead forced passes? I mean this is a 40 goal scoring player, what else should he do? He can make the pass when he needs to.

This is a short video but it shows how great he is at creating space and setting up his team mates. It's just that he is elite at goal scoring so he will do that most of the time.

Give it a rest. Hes great at scoring goals, not as much at playmaking. Nobody is saying he cant be a good playmaker, but he isnt one of the best in the league

Luigi Lemieux

Sep 26, 2003

You can be a top goal scorer and playmaker at the same time. Since entering the league Crosby and Malkin are in the top 5 for both goals per game and assists per game.

Matthews is a great player and a big impact player but his lack of playmaking is not because he's too good at goal scoring.

Tad Mikowsky

Only Droods
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2008
Edmonton

Thread is about playmaking

BETTER TALK ABOUT AUSTON MATTHEWS AND GOAL SCORING.

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
Thread is about playmaking

BETTER TALK ABOUT AUSTON MATTHEWS AND GOAL SCORING.

Someone brought up that Matthews was a good playmaker and many jumped on the comment to deny it.

BETTER ATTACK ANYONE WHO TRIES TO ADVANCE THE CONVERSATION.

Sorry, I forget this forum is reserved for no Leaf talk, unless it is negative talk. My mistake.

Reactions: LeafsNation75

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad