Best players MTL has developed since the Patrick Roy days

Number 57

Dec 21, 2004
Montreal
I was curious about this so I decided to make a ranking. For the record I included only players who spent the beginning of their career in the Montreal Canadiens organization. It doesn't mean they were drafted by Montreal but they could have been acquired at 19 or 20 years old for exemple. As long as they didn't play too many games with another team (Eller is included for exemple, but not McDonagh).

What would be your ranking?

1. Patrick Roy
2. Carey Price
3. Chris Chelios
4. Saku Koivu
5. Guy Carbonneau
6. Eric Desjardins
7. Mats Naslund
8. Andrei Markov
9. Petr Svoboda
10. John Leclair
11. Stephane Richer
12. Brendan Gallagher
13. Jose Theodore
14. PK Subban
15. Max Pacioretty
16. Claude Lemieux
17. Tomas Plekanec
18. Jaroslav Halak
19. Shayne Corson
20. Lars Eller
21. Mike Ribeiro
22. Valeri Bure
23. Mike Komisarek
24. Phillip Danault
25. Benoit Brunet / Brian Savage / Michael Ryder / Darcy Tucker / Patrice Brisebois / Craig Rivet

Hopefully I didn't miss too many old timers!

Reactions: Acadien86

Number 57

Dec 21, 2004
Montreal
If we are putting Subban this high like some of you are suggesting that means we are only basing it on his 3-4 elite years. Then it means a guy like Theodore would also need to be top-5 based on his prime.

Meanwhile some of you are questionning why Komisarek is even on the list. Well he wasn't elite like Subban but he too had a couple years of great hockey in his prime when he was Markov's partner on the first pairing.

So how can you ask Subban to be bumped up but Komisarek to be discarded? It makes no sense.

Lebowski

El Duderino
Dec 5, 2010
If we are putting Subban this high like some of you are suggesting that means we are only basing it on his 2-3 elite years. Then it means a guy like Theodore would also need to be top-5 based on his prime.

Meanwhile some of you are questionning why Komisarek is even on the list. Well he wasn't elite like Subban but he too had 2-3 years of great hockey in his prime when he was Markov's partner on the first pairing.

So how can you ask Subban to be bumped up but Komisarek to be discarded? It makes no sense.

... How are those two situations even remotely comparable? 2-3 elite years? Subban was elite his entire career until this season.

As a guy that has been a Norris finalist three times in his career (including a win), how can you possibly justify having Gallagher ahead of him, for example? Or even Koivu?

Last edited:

JoelWarlord

May 7, 2012
Halifax
If we are putting Subban this high like some of you are suggesting that means we are only basing it on his 3-4 elite years. Then it means a guy like Theodore would also need to be top-5 based on his prime.
Because Theodore didn't have 3-4 elite years, he had 1. Subban was a top pair defenceman as a rookie and in 18-19, and had a 7 year run as an elite defenceman between 2011-18 and won a Norris. They're just not comparable situations at all and Subban is a completely different tier of player from everyone on this list besides Roy/Price/Chelios.

Meanwhile some of you are questionning why Komisarek is even on the list. Well he wasn't elite like Subban but he too had a couple years of great hockey in his prime when he was Markov's partner on the first pairing.
Because Komisarek was garbage away from Markov while Subban won a Norris trophy spending almost 70% of his ice time with Gorges and Bouillion. They're just completely different players, I don't get this comparison at all. Komisarek was an OK #4 who was carried by Markov for a few years and Subban was a truly elite Norris winner who spent most of his time playing with Gorges, there is no hypocrisy to thinking Subban should be rated higher for a 9 year run as a top pair D with 7 years of elite play and that a mediocre #4 should be off the list.

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
Nah, Desjardins was our first D in the 90s and then stayed in Philies top Ds for a long while. Markov didn't have an early career like that, he's a late bloomer.

Wuuuuh? Markov turned the habs around by his presence alone and was pretty friggin good as a 21-22 years old. He was far from a late bloomer. Right off thd bat he was by far the team's best and most talented player, even above Saku.

CoupeStanley

Dec 1, 2003
Nicolet
coupestanley.com
Wuuuuh? Markov turned the habs around by his presence alone and was pretty friggin good as a 21-22 years old. He was far from a late bloomer. Right off thd bat he was by far the team's best and most talented player, even above Saku.

I agree with you that Markov was good right off the bad but while I think Markov was a better player overall I still have to put Desjardins ahead because he was such a playoff beast.

Edgy

Nov 30, 2009
Developed into what? Using Roy as the baseline would eliminate 90% of that list.

SOLR

Jun 4, 2006
Toronto / North York

Desjardins was in the lineup at 19, bloomed around 22. Markov was in the lineup at 21 and bloomed at 25.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad