OT: Best Patio in Edmonton

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
The next act has amazing food. They actually own Meat next door, also amazing food and a great patio.

I didn't know Meat had a patio. I find Meat a tad overrated. The Next Act has great burgers. Meat's meats are alright, but nothing remarkable. And the sides are pretty hit or miss. The one sandwich I had there was excellent though. I also like the hipster vibe of the Next Act better than the hipster vibe of Meat. Meat seems to try a little too hard.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
I like the look of Local in south common. Even if you are in the bar it feels like a patio all the doors open. For the most part though I really don't care about the location as much as I do the service. I can go to particular place one time and love it, but then hate it the next time because service was poor.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
I didn't know Meat had a patio. I find Meat a tad overrated. The Next Act has great burgers. Meat's meats are alright, but nothing remarkable. And the sides are pretty hit or miss. The one sandwich I had there was excellent though. I also like the hipster vibe of the Next Act better than the hipster vibe of Meat. Meat seems to try a little too hard.

Meat, really? Sounds like a gay bar(insert george and jerry from seinfeld comment here) or a place where cougars would go to pray on younger men.

PinSeeker

Really narrowed his eyyyyyyyyyesssssss
Aug 22, 2005
YLW
The patio at BLVD on Jasper Ave is killer, exposure from all directions and an outdoor bar.
Food is ok, service not good. Will go back, but probably only for drinks.

oilers9799

Mar 29, 2005
Joeys South Edmonton still has a solid patio even though its staring into a parking lot.

The Royal Mayfair has an awesome patio for overlooking the city.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
I can't speak for their west end location, I've only ever gone to Whyte. As I said, the food is mediocre at best, but if you're looking for a nice patio with a pretty decent beer selection, it's still a good place to go. I pretty well only eat appies there anyway.

O2s on whyte is a rooftop patio. Its pretty sick. Maybe not as nice as other cities, but were not in other cities.

A "rooftop" patio on what I recall is a two storey looking over the grime and spit of Whyte Avenue. Yeah been there before.

We set the bar really low here when it comes to patios and don't demand more. Which is a real shame because Edmonton is summer fall perfect for patios and every other City I've been to in Canada has much better and enjoyable locations and options.

Its OK for us to expect better than this from the marketplace.

McGoMcD

Aug 14, 2005
Edmonton, AB
A "rooftop" patio on what I recall is a two storey looking over the grime and spit of Whyte Avenue. Yeah been there before.

We set the bar really low here when it comes to patios and don't demand more. Which is a real shame because Edmonton is summer fall perfect for patios and every other City I've been to in Canada has much better and enjoyable locations and options.

Its OK for us to expect better than this from the marketplace.

LOL, this is funny but it comes full circle to our other debate with regards to the City of Edmonton. Apperantly there are like close to 100 outstanding applications for Patios. The City of Edmonton is so slow and... well no idea to approve them. We probably would have better choices if only the city was less inept. ps, do you have no desire to people watch. I actually disagree that patios over looking nature are better. If you want nature go for a hike, patios are for people watching, Whyte is the place to people watch.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Meat, really? Sounds like a gay bar(insert george and jerry from seinfeld comment here) or a place where cougars would go to pray on younger men.

Its a place that evokes the charm and ambience of a high school cafeteria while providing the infantile nourishment of Barbecue ribs, Mac n Cheese and wait for it, garlic fries.

Their slogan? "Lets eat meat"

Yeah, I'll pass, thanks..

McGoMcD

Aug 14, 2005
Edmonton, AB
Its a place that evokes the charm and ambience of a high school cafeteria while providing the infantile nourishment of Barbecue ribs, Mac n Cheese and wait for it, garlic fries.

Their slogan? "Lets eat meat"

Yeah, I'll pass, thanks..

No man, its awesome. The food is very good. There are lineups at that place on a monday night, there is a reason it is so popular. If it isn't your cup of tea fine, but it is very good.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
LOL, this is funny but it comes full circle to our other debate with regards to the City of Edmonton. Apperantly there are like close to 100 outstanding applications for Patios. The City of Edmonton is so slow and... well no idea to approve them. We probably would have better choices if only the city was less inept. ps, do you have no desire to people watch. I actually disagree that patios over looking nature are better. If you want nature go for a hike, patios are for people watching, Whyte is the place to people watch.

In terms of people watching Whyte is a cesspool. Really one of the lowest brow drinking districts I've seen in Canadian Cities. Wait, Red Mile is similar. Have to give that abomination credit as well.

I think if I was in my 20's I might enjoy the ambience of drinking next to a ton of people that act like they've never been inebriated before and bring the level of decorum to "girls gone wild" or "spring break" when they're not pissing or vomiting on the sidewalk. Pizza vomit btw, the preferred vomit of choice for the late night Whyte Ave crowd is particularly disgusting to look at. The whole place looks like one big hangover for anybody going there the morning after the night before.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
No man, its awesome. The food is very good. There are lineups at that place on a monday night, there is a reason it is so popular. If it isn't your cup of tea fine, but it is very good.

Edmonton discovers smoked meat and Barbecue. Wow, the 70'c come early. Excuse pun..

Pampas, Meat, man these concepts arrive here decades after they're a going thing anywhere else.

The place is butt ugly. Uncomfortable. Looks like it took a college student budget to decorate, and makes Tony Romas seem resplendent .:p:

McGoMcD

Aug 14, 2005
Edmonton, AB
In terms of people watching Whyte is a cesspool. Really one of the lowest brow drinking districts I've seen in Canadian Cities. Wait, Red Mile is similar. Have to give that abomination credit as well.

I think if I was in my 20's I might enjoy the ambience of drinking next to a ton of people that act like they've never been inebriated before and bring the level of decorum to "girls gone wild" or "spring break" when they're not pissing or vomiting on the sidewalk. Pizza vomit btw, the preferred vomit of choice for the late night Whyte Ave crowd is particularly disgusting to look at. The place looks like one big hangover for anybody going there the morning after the night before.

LOL, you must be blast at parties. Even my dad, who didn't drink at all enjoyed going down whyte from time to time. It is fun to poeple watch. Also your not even correct. Whyte has tons of differnt sorts. you make it out like Whyte is just 18-20 year old college kids. In the summer it comes alive with all types.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
LOL, you must be blast at parties. Even my dad, who didn't drink at all enjoyed going down whyte from time to time. It is fun to poeple watch. Also your not even correct. Whyte has tons of differnt sorts. you make it out like Whyte is just 18-20 year old college kids. In the summer it comes alive with all types.

Hey, I'm on a curmudgeon roll don't mess with me.:laugh:

parties, heh, used to be in a rock band in my misspent University youth and got the party out of my system for the most part. Also had a head start starting partyng much earlier in years than I should have..WE were around a decade ahead of the beastie boys in that regard. ;)

But yeah I'm Not one of those older people pretending to try to be young again or having a midlife crisis. Some times don't come back and that's fine.

Hey Enjoy the limited choices that Edmonton has to offer but by all means experience what most cities have done much better. Otherwise you're just limiting your enjoyable fraternizing experience.

Fact of the matter is I was a regular on Whyte when it was a more interesting place and before it got swallowed whole by the Hudsons type bars. Was an inaugural Fringe regular before most people even know about it when Brian Paisley was still out and around hyping that puppy. They were some great times and a great vibe. Much more artistic vibe back then. The beat goes on..

McGoMcD

Aug 14, 2005
Edmonton, AB
Hey, I'm on a curmudgeon roll don't mess with me.:laugh:

parties, heh, used to be in a rock band in my misspent University youth and got the party out of my system for the most part. Also had a head start starting partyng much earlier in years than I should have..WE were around a decade ahead of the beastie boys in that regard. ;)

But yeah I'm Not one of those older people pretending to try to be young again or having a midlife crisis. Some times don't come back and that's fine.

Hey Enjoy the limited choices that Edmonton has to offer but by all means experience what most cities have done much better. Otherwise you're just limiting your enjoyable fraternizing experience.

Fact of the matter is I was a regular on Whyte when it was a more interesting place and before it got swallowed whole by the Hudsons type bars. Was an inaugural Fringe regular before most people even know about it when Brian Paisley was still out and around hyping that puppy. They were some great times and a great vibe. Much more artistic vibe back then. The beat goes on..

I will be the first to admit Whyte isn't nearly as good as it could be. The biggest flaw is they have blocked development there for so long. If you want a great artistic vibe you need people. Yet you can't build any where near Whyte. I am exited to see the new Raymond Block go up, that along with some simliar developments should bring Whyte back a bit. For better or worse it still is Edmonton's hippest street.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
I will be the first to admit Whyte isn't nearly as good as it could be. The biggest flaw is they have blocked development there for so long. If you want a great artistic vibe you need people. Yet you can't build any where near Whyte. I am exited to see the new Raymond Block go up, that along with some simliar developments should bring Whyte back a bit. For better or worse it still is Edmonton's hippest street.

Actually Whyte Ave and Red Mile are cases where the development transformed the area to something else that is less attractive. if you want next thing now you go to 124st, Alberta Ave, or I guess Entertainment district, 104st etc downtown.

Whyte Ave sold out. Long time ago. You would capture this more if you knew how interesting it had previously been. Kensington in Calgary used to be more interesting as well. Or Granville Island, or Denman, or Robson, or Ambleside, White rock, etc.

Big money moving in doesn't create a grassroots arts vibe. In most cases it vacates it.

McGoMcD

Aug 14, 2005
Edmonton, AB
Actually Whyte Ave and Red Mile are cases where the development transformed the area to something else that is less attractive. if you want next thing now you go to 124st, Alberta Ave, or I guess Entertainment district, 104st etc downtown.

Whyte Ave sold out. Long time ago. You would capture this more if you knew how interesting it had previously been. Kensington in Calgary used to be more interesting as well. Or Granville Island, or Denman, or Robson, or Ambleside, White rock, etc.

Big money moving in doesn't create a grassroots arts vibe. In most cases it vacates it.

What development has been on Whyte ave?

Not really sure what your getting at. The population of the Whyte Ave area is like the same as it was 30 years ago. They have built next to nothing on the Ave in 30 years. If you don't have population influx you stagnate.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
What development has been on Whyte ave?

Not really sure what your getting at. The population of the Whyte Ave area is like the same as it was 30 years ago. They have built next to nothing on the Ave in 30 years. If you don't have population influx you stagnate.

More the change in business in the Avenue is what I am referring to. Understand as well is this isn't only my take as these transitions are well known and studied by anybody from Police services to Strathcona foundation etc. Additionally most cities have some of this transition and the phenomenon is well understood across jurisdictions. The maximization of revenue through such gentrification as Chapters knocking out better beloved bookstores like Greenwood, Chilis instead of more interesting dining, or so many liquor licences being granted in the area are examples of significant change. For instance the Old post office was formerly the abode top to bottom of many eclectic and wonderful independent arts retailers. A real amazing and unique place. Now dominated by Chiantis and watering holes and I don't even know if the upstairs floors are still utilized.

The increase in bar seats in the area has been astronomical. But this is the product of increasing revenue in the area. From a business perspective Whyte Ave is alive and well, not disputing that for an instant. But as a grassroots arts collective its gone downhill.

Still though Old Strathcona during the day remains a pleasant place. if one doesn't arrive too early and they're still power washing last nights vomit off the sidewalks. . Even public defecation occurs in the area quite a lot. Mostly in back alleys but even found on the Avenue. Not exaggerating with any of that either and the shopkeepers find it quite disgusting and it is of course even a biohazard to deal with it all. Yeah, when one sees a preponderance of such things (and I've known some of the shopkeepers) the joys of patio refreshments on the avenue on any windy day take on less glamor. You can thank the individual, and unfunded efforts of some of the business owners that make the effort to keep the area somewhat clean. You wouldn't imagine what it would look like even after a week or two if nobody was cleaning up daily.

Go to Whyte any Saturday morning at 6 or 7am if you don't believe me. Many shop owners arrive early because they know they'll be cleaning up the latest last night mess. Should be all the bars that are doing that and cleaning the sidewalks and area. But they don't arrive until much later.

Last edited:

McGoMcD

Aug 14, 2005
Edmonton, AB
More the change in business in the Avenue is what I am referring to. Understand as well is this isn't only my take as these transitions are well known and studied by anybody from Police services to Strathcona foundation etc. Additionally most cities have some of this transition and the phenomenon is well understood across jurisdictions. The maximization of revenue through such gentrification as Chapters knocking out better beloved bookstores like Greenwood, Chilis instead of more interesting dining, or so many liquor licences being granted in the area are examples of significant change. For instance the Old post office was formerly the abode top to bottom of many eclectic and wonderful independent arts retailers. A real amazing and unique place. Now dominated by Chiantis and watering holes and I don't even know if the upstairs floors are still utilized.

The increase in bar seats in the area has been astronomical. But this is the product of increasing revenue in the area. From a business perspective Whyte Ave is alive and well, not disputing that for an instant. But as a grassroots arts collective its gone downhill.

Still though Old Strathcona during the day remains a pleasant place. if one doesn't arrive too early and they're still power washing last nights vomit off the sidewalks. . Even public defecation occurs in the area quite a lot. Mostly in back alleys but even found on the Avenue. Not exaggerating with any of that either and the shopkeepers find it quite disgusting and it is of course even a biohazard to deal with it all. Yeah, when one sees a preponderance of such things (and I've known some of the shopkeepers) the joys of patio refreshments on the avenue on any windy day take on less glamor. You can thank the individual, and unfunded efforts of some of the business owners that make the effort to keep the area somewhat clean. You wouldn't imagine what it would look like even after a week or two if nobody was cleaning up daily.

Go to Whyte any Saturday morning at 6 or 7am if you don't believe me. Many shop owners arrive early because they know they'll be cleaning up the latest last night mess. Should be all the bars that are doing that and cleaning the sidewalks and area. But they don't arrive until much later.

Ya, but there are not enough stores on the ave, or places. If you limit the number of places it will drive rent sky high. Then don't be shocked when it is only the Chapters of the world that are left. Thus it is a lack of development that has hurt Whyte.

Also I live just off Whyte, I have no idea what your talking about. I have walked up and down Whyte plenty of times early in the morning, you might see the odd puke. However no where close to what you suggest. That actually sounds like fun, you make it sound like a 24/7 Mardi Gras, If only Whyte were that much fun.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Ya, but there are not enough stores on the ave, or places. If you limit the number of places it will drive rent sky high. Then don't be shocked when it is only the Chapters of the world that are left. Thus it is a lack of development that has hurt Whyte.

Also I live just off Whyte, I have no idea what your talking about. I have walked up and down Whyte plenty of times early in the morning, you might see the odd puke. However no where close to what you suggest. That actually sounds like fun, you make it sound like a 24/7 Mardi Gras, If only Whyte were that much fun.

The odd puke? People have taken and posted up pictures featuring a dozen puke pies in one frame picture. Go near funkle pickle sometime and its a disgusting mixture of half eaten discarded pizza followed by vomit. In many instances one can kind of make out a plot story on what happened based on the scenes on the sidewalk..:D

moral of the story maybe being don't eat greasy pizza when you've had too much to drink and stomach is already doing strange things. That some of the pizza and vomit start blending in and looking similar is a little off-putting.

In anycase we must have different standards of cleanliness. The amount of puke, piss, **** I would find acceptable on a front sidewalk and especially in a supposedly gentrified area is none. I'm really amazed at times how poorly people would treat an area. Even the amount of blatant littering is off the charts in the area. One can basically tell which late night vendors do the most business because virtually none of the wrappers ends up in the garbage. Understand this nature of criticism is not Edmonton specific. Places like Granville street in Vancouver simply look like disgusting landfills after any party night.

McGoMcD

Aug 14, 2005
Edmonton, AB
The odd puke? People have taken and posted up pictures featuring a dozen puke pies in one frame picture. Go near funkle pickle sometime and its a disgusting mixture of half eaten discarded pizza followed by vomit. In many instances one can kind of make out a plot story on what happened based on the scenes on the sidewalk..:D

moral of the story maybe being don't eat greasy pizza when you've had too much to drink and stomach is already doing strange things. That some of the pizza and vomit start blending in and looking similar is a little off-putting.

In anycase we must have different standards of cleanliness. The amount of puke, piss, **** I would find acceptable on a front sidewalk and especially in a supposedly gentrified area is none. I'm really amazed at times how poorly people would treat an area. Even the amount of blatant littering is off the charts in the area. One can basically tell which late night vendors do the most business because virtually none of the wrappers ends up in the garbage. Understand this nature of criticism is not Edmonton specific. Places like Granville street in Vancouver simply look like disgusting landfills after any party night.

The puke isnt' that bad, but whatever. We can agree to disagree. Still it is a lack of development that has hurt Whyte, not too much.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad