OT: Best Patio in Edmonton

McGoMcD

Aug 14, 2005
Edmonton, AB
Since it is summer. Seems like a good topic, Edmontonians love their patios. The only problem is we really don't have many, apparently the city is finally getting to approving a bunch. Any way, what onces do you guys like. My call is the Black Dog on Whyte.

Comic Book Guy*

Earls has hot waitresses

Joeys has hotter waitresses

Cactus Club on Jasper Ave has the hottest waitresses

Those restaurants have the best patios

/thread

awesomo

Sep 12, 2007
location, location
the courtyard DT hotel has a patio that overlooks the river valley

also agree with TOPPEP

good luck gettign a spot in the patio/bar area on the weekend

oiler-dude

O2s on Whyte Ave has a great rooftop patio. Food is mediocre at best, beer selection pretty good. The patio & beer makes up for the food.

O'Byrnes on Whyte has a pretty decent patio, but also gets crowded. Food is good.

MKT on Whyte is a decent patio (a bit loud being right beside Gateway Blvd), but excellent food & beverage.

I've yet to go because of ridiculous lines, but the rooftop patio at Craft Beer Market downtown on Rice Howard Way looks ridiculously awesome. Their beer selection is probably the best in town, and the food is excellent.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
As Oiler-Dude mentioned, my go to patios are O2s and MKT on whyte.

Is this a bar only thread?

Not in the know anymore but just out of curiosity but the O2's in the Westend was one of the more despicable gang banger operations in all of Edmonton. Notorious place that anybody not equating trouble with fun stayed away from. Because trouble was never hard to find at that seamy west end location on easily one of the worst streets in Edmonton.

I'm a JP kid saying that. This place was TROUBLE.

Hopefully the rest of the chain isn't anything like that but the operators were not exactly helpful, and were mostly in denial of the problems at the west end location.

O2's just getting hammered in Yelp reviews btw. Among the worse reviews for establishments I've ever seen.

This is pretty much a **** chain and not worthy of recommendation.

Cizin

Jun 30, 2013

Not in the know anymore but just out of curiosity but the O2's in the Westend was one of the more despicable gang banger operations in all of Edmonton. Notorious place that anybody not equating trouble with fun stayed away from. Because trouble was never hard to find at that seamy west end location on easily one of the worst streets in Edmonton.

Hopefully the rest of the chain isn't anything like that but the operators were not exactly helpful, and were mostly in denial of the problems at the west end location.

O2's just getting hammered in Yelp reviews btw. Among the worse reviews for establishments I've ever seen.

These reviews don't look too terrible, http://www.yelp.ca/biz/o2s-taphouse-and-grill-edmonton. And the street is no where near the worst in Edmonton, it's just on the edge between residential & industrial areas. Are you thinking of a different place?

PinSeeker

Really narrowed his eyyyyyyyyyesssssss
Aug 22, 2005
YLW
Marriot Courtyard overlooks the river valley (wouldn't necessarily eat there).
Pint has good exposure. BLVD apparently is quite good. Canadian Brewhouse is ok.

Not a fan of Earls/Cactus with their covered patios.

McGoMcD

Aug 14, 2005
Edmonton, AB
Hotel Mac has the nicest one by far.

True, but I am not sure that is even a patio. We are more talking about things that are on the street that you can walk up to. I do agree though, amazing, just not sure it fits what most mean by patio.

Agree with MKT and O2's on whyte. Also the Sherlock Holmes Downtown is really cool.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
True, but I am not sure that is even a patio. We are more talking about things that are on the street that you can walk up to. I do agree though, amazing, just not sure it fits what most mean by patio.

Agree with MKT and O2's on whyte. Also the Sherlock Holmes Downtown is really cool.

Huh? That is like nobodies definition of a proper patio. In fact its one of the main criticisms of many of Edmontons patios being street facing. In other cities renowned patios face parks, greenery, views, pedestrian only district etc.

The only patios I ever want to go to are facing beautiful views or pedestrian ONLY districts. Mac and the Marriot in Edmonton are easily the best here. No contest really. Its sad really that people here get accustomed to the grimy noisy streetfront patios and don't demand better. Really in a thread where such dreck as O2's are getting top marks we're not setting the bar high at all, excuse pun.

Arpeggio

Jul 20, 2006
Edmonton
Huh? That is like nobodies definition of a proper patio. In fact its one of the main criticisms of many of Edmontons patios being street facing. In other cities renowned patios face parks, greenery, views, pedestrian only district etc.

The only patios I ever want to go to are facing beautiful views or pedestrian ONLY districts. Mac and the Marriot in Edmonton are easily the best here. No contest really. Its sad really that people here get accustomed to the grimy noisy streetfront patios and don't demand better. Really in a thread where such dreck as O2's are getting top marks we're not setting the bar high at all, excuse pun.

O2's is a rooftop and has not a terrible view. It's a pretty nice atmosphere actually.

Black Dog is the most fun.

McGoMcD

Aug 14, 2005
Edmonton, AB

I get what your saying, I agree, patios that over look scenic views are nice. I just don't think thats what most people mean when they say lets grab a pint on a patio. THey mean a bar downtown or on whyte that has a patio.

McGoMcD

Aug 14, 2005
Edmonton, AB
O2's is a rooftop and has not a terrible view. It's a pretty nice atmosphere actually.

Black Dog is the most fun.

O2's patio is really amazing during the fringe, you can look over the fringe grounds. You can see downtown from there, great patio.

edit: O2's has food that is ok at best, I wish it stayed a Chilli's. Great lociation, I wish a really cool bar would move in. Still has a great patio though.

Last edited:

oiler-dude

I can't speak for their west end location, I've only ever gone to Whyte. As I said, the food is mediocre at best, but if you're looking for a nice patio with a pretty decent beer selection, it's still a good place to go. I pretty well only eat appies there anyway.

TheBusDriver

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Aug 25, 2009
Edmonton

O2s on whyte is a rooftop patio. Its pretty sick. Maybe not as nice as other cities, but were not in other cities.

Horseradish

Dec 9, 2005
London, ON
Marriot Courtyard overlooks the river valley (wouldn't necessarily eat there).
Pint has good exposure. BLVD apparently is quite good. Canadian Brewhouse is ok.

Not a fan of Earls/Cactus with their covered patios.

That's the biggest issue with the Courtyard. Patio is impossible to beat, it's just a ****** restaurant. Back when it was the "Thornton Court Hotel," it was the best damn patio In the city-- good bistro food, good service, always packed, great bar menu and drinks. Shame, really.

MikeModano9

Oct 27, 2011
Tallahassee
The Next Act Pub. Amazing food, nice little patio section off Whyte. Loads of different IPAs and decent draught selection. It's the food though that brings me back.

McGoMcD

Aug 14, 2005
Edmonton, AB
The Next Act Pub. Amazing food, nice little patio section off Whyte. Loads of different IPAs and decent draught selection. It's the food though that brings me back.

The next act has amazing food. They actually own Meat next door, also amazing food and a great patio.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
That's the biggest issue with the Courtyard. Patio is impossible to beat, it's just a ****** restaurant. Back when it was the "Thornton Court Hotel," it was the best damn patio In the city-- good bistro food, good service, always packed, great bar menu and drinks. Shame, really.

Its still a fantastic patio and the beer tastes just the same paired with brilliant sunshine. (not my line, a poster on C2E came up with that one):laugh:

I also actually prefer that the patio is rarely crowded and a relaxing beautiful spot to be and really one of the best river valley views.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad