Best OHL playoff series ever?

TuckerFan1

Jul 14, 2012
Oshawa
Erie lost because McDavid was shut down point blank. These are teenagers and athletes. Oshawa was the best team in he league in 2015 and in the CHL tired had nothing to do with it. Give it a rest trying to make your excuses

For real. Oshawa coasted? We didn’t sweep a single series unlike Erie and the Soo. Mancina played unreal for the Pete’s in round 1 and that North Bay series was pure defensive hockey. That excuse is comical.

My favourite series would be that North Bay one. Gennies got worked by them the year before so there was a lot on the line. Series started with North Bay kicking our ass 6-1. I remember being so frustrated at how aggressive they were playing our D. They forced so many turnovers. It looked like it was going to be a repeat of the previous year. Game 2 was a 1-0 OT win for the Gennies (thank you Mermis). Game 3 was another close game. North Bay won 2-1 in OT. Gennies won the next two 3-2 and 4-1. Appleby shut the door in game 6 and won 2-1. A 6 game series, four games were decided by 1 goal, two games in OT. Jake Smith and Kenny Appleby put on a show that series.

A close 2nd would obviously be the finals. We were one of the best teams all year, yet somehow went in as the underdogs against McDavid. Cassels won’t make a name for himself at the pro level, but Gens fans won’t forget what he did in the finals.

Reactions: Nerf27

WillardJFredricks

May 7, 2004
1997 Petes vs. Generals was a good one. Petes were defending champs, and had most of the team back from the previous year. Both teams loaded with good players. Cameron Mann was on fire. Lots of intensity. I remember the elimination game with Bill Stewart not having his players shake hands (and giving an obscene gesture to the crowd) and Shawn Thornton wanting to follow them down the tunnel to the locker room.

It was a disappointing end (for Petes fans) but a classic Petes-Generals series. I remember Colagiacomo and Tripp being very good for Oshawa (and Savard, of course). And Zac Bierk waving goodbye to the crowd as the last one off the ice, finishing his OHL career.

The 1993 series (plural- Super Series plus OHL finals) between the Petes and Greyhounds were great, too. Both were one sided (The Soo in 4 in the Super Series and the Petes in 5 in the finals, if I recall correctly) but they had such a rivalry that year, culminating in the Memorial Cup final.

As has been mentioned, the 2003 Petes-Generals was great (though another heartbreaker for us Petes fans) and the comeback vs. Kingston from down 3-0 in 2014 were also great.

WillardJFredricks

May 7, 2004
I watched a replay of game seven in that Kit/Ply series last Christmas 2017. They aired that game before a live Ranger road game on Rogers. I watched the live game afterwards. It was like watching paint dry in comparison.

When you get to see those older games, it's so different from what we see now. The intensity and passion they had then is just not there in the games today. Everything is so watered down now, the players are like robots, all essentially the same.

BigBuck

Jan 26, 2012
I'll have to go back to 85-86 Petes vs Bulls....After the 1st round 3 teams advanced Kingston,Bellville and Peterborough to a home and home round robin....Bellville and Peterborough advanced to an 8 point Eastern final with the Bulls beating the heavily favoured Petes 9 points to 7 in a fight filled gruelling 8 games....Guelph beat a very tired Bulls team and went on to win the Memorial Cup that year...

Nerf27

Oct 15, 2012
We must have it all wrong. The Eastern Conference fans said whoever wins is always the best and fatigue has nothing to do with it.

This year is the first time that the Eastern Conference has been comparable in this millennium (11 games over .500 so far) so we'll see if their thoughts change this year.
Who’s name is on the trophy. Not your team. Keep up your jealousy by making it all about your teams lack of determination to win and just admit they got beat by a better team.

Fischhaber

Sep 3, 2014
Who’s name is on the trophy. Not your team. Keep up your jealousy by making it all about your teams lack of determination to win and just admit they got beat by a better team.

My team's name is on the trophy, but it is certainly not the Erie Otters. However, I do agree with what the person I quoted had to say.

Everyone that disagrees with you is jealous or stupid. That's no way to have a discussion.

Reactions: ottersguy

Nerf27

Oct 15, 2012
My team's name is on the trophy, but it is certainly not the Erie Otters. However, I do agree with what the person I quoted had to say.

Everyone that disagrees with you is jealous or stupid. That's no way to have a discussion.
Never used the word stupid. You won’t give credit to two teams that won because they were the best in the league in their year. You refuse to acknowledge that. Anyways done with you. Moving on.

Fischhaber

Sep 3, 2014
Never used the word stupid. You won’t give credit to two teams that won because they were the best in the league in their year. You refuse to acknowledge that. Anyways done with you. Moving on.

I gave them plenty of credit. Not everything is so binary. The player with the top +/- is not always the best player in the league. The goalie with the lowest GAA is not always the best.

If you ignore the intricacies of the game in favour of favour of black and white conclusions that don't involve any logic or thought then you are missing out on what makes hockey great in my opinion.

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
For real. Oshawa coasted? We didn’t sweep a single series unlike Erie and the Soo. Mancina played unreal for the Pete’s in round 1 and that North Bay series was pure defensive hockey. That excuse is comical.
It’s not an excuse because I never said Erie was better. They didn’t win. I just used it as an example that teams can be impacted in the finals by the way the previous series went for them

NB was a 37 win team that year with a +42 GD but if you want to tell me that they were tougher physically and emotionally than going in as the road series for a more intense 54 win team with a +146 GD in SSM then lol okay that’s on you.

I’m not at all and never did say it was the reason erie lost. Did it maybe cause them to get off to a slow start or maybe impact their abilities to win another game or 2 that series? Yes I 100% think that because I know that guys like McDavid and Debrincat and strome were exhausted after the intensity it took to overcome a powerhouse team like SSM. Especially when you consider we had 9 hour road trips all series.

Reactions: Fischhaber

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad