Best OHL playoff series ever?

battfan888

Podcaster
Feb 29, 2012
Sleeman Centre
I've had a few Kitchener fans tell me the best series they saw was the 2003 west final vs Plymouth that went 7 games

My personal favourite is the 2009 east final between Brampton and Belleville that the Troops won in 6 games.

Reactions: EvenSteven

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
some of my favorites for Erie:

Erie vs SSM in West finals 2015. Two very talented teams that both played a run and gun style

Erie vs LDN in West finals 2017. Game 7 OT is as close as it gets. Also never have seen a goalie stand on his head more than Parsons did that series

WSR vs Erie in first round 2011. An underrated series probably across the league but if you were fans of either team, you remember how intense it was. Featured 3 OT games, one of which went to double OT. Erie also game back from a 3-0 deficit in game 6 to force OT and ultimately a game 7

Reactions: ohloutsider

Tarantula

Hanging around the web
Aug 31, 2017
GTA
8 games series decided in sudden death OT- London V St Catherines Fincups, 75/76?
Regular season and playoffs had no OT so it was a 8 point series.

Series tied 3 apiece and one tie in St Catherines sets the stage for game 8 where London was down 2 zip going into the third. I believe Dan Eastman scored twice to send it to OT, where he scored the winner.

A long time ago, but still remembered.....

Reactions: three dog night

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
I've had a few Kitchener fans tell me the best series they saw was the 2003 west final vs Plymouth that went 7 games

My personal favourite is the 2009 east final between Brampton and Belleville that the Troops won in 6 games.

That Kit/Ply series was incredible!! Watched every game live. And it came before the idiotic "new rules" came into place in 2005.

They replayed games from that series on Rogers last year over Christmas. What a difference in the hockey played back then compared to the hockey that's played today. It's like night and day. The hockey these days is boring.

GangGreen

May 27, 2012
Even though they were on the losing end, I thought London- Guelph in 2004 was a hell of a series

Reactions: LDN

oooooooooohCanada

Jan 14, 2017
That Kit/Ply series was incredible!! Watched every game live. And it came before the idiotic "new rules" came into place in 2005.

They replayed games from that series on Rogers last year over Christmas. What a difference in the hockey played back then compared to the hockey that's played today. It's like night and day. The hockey these days is boring.

What..?

NorthernVoice

Oct 5, 2017
It was only first round but the 2003 Petes/Gens series was pretty amazing. Staal and Horton head to head and jockeying for NHL draft position, ultimately going 2nd and 3rd.

Staal had 9 goals/14 points in the seven game series and also had the puck go off his ass and in in game 7 overtime to give Oshawa the series win.

2014 Petes/Fronts was a lot of fun too (maybe not for Kingston fans) with Peterborough losing the first three games, then winning the next 4 with the final coming from Nick Ritchie in overtime to clinch the series.

Garyboy

Oct 31, 2010
Toronto
‘91 Generals/Greyhounds. The atmosphere around Lindros playing in the Soo, how heated the games were, the upset of the powerhouse Generals. It was an incredible spectacle,

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
The Belleville Bulls/Kitchener Rangers series from 07-08 was pretty tight.

Will always remember that one!
That was one series that almost killed me. I couldn't listen to the away games. I got too grumpy and the wife would tell me to go cut the grass even if it didn't need cutting. I think I even chewed down a big maple every time she came out and said the Bulls scored again.:eek:

Reactions: WillardJFredricks

AttackSound

Junior Hockey Fan Since Birth
Aug 25, 2016
Owen Sound, Ontario
Attack vs. Mississauga St.Micheals Majors 2011

Lots of raw emotions in the that final series including Dave Cameron's verbal shots towards the Attack in game 4.

Fischhaber

Sep 3, 2014
Sault Ste. Marie vs Owen Sound second round last year was some pretty incredible hockey. I'm convinced that they were the best 2 teams in the league.

Certainly not the best series ever, but the non finals series sometimes get ignored.

Snippit

Dec 5, 2012
Sault Ste. Marie vs Owen Sound second round last year was some pretty incredible hockey. I'm convinced that they were the best 2 teams in the league.

Certainly not the best series ever, but the non finals series sometimes get ignored.

You're convinced that the best 2 teams in the league don't include the league champions...ok then

SeniorJuniorFan

Dec 13, 2013
How many league championship series at any level end up with Game 7 overtime? 1994 Detroit Jr. Wings vs. North Bay Centennials, Det. won 5 here to lead 3-2 with Game 6 there. I couldn’t listen on the radio and I instructed my wife (working nights at the time) not to call me with the result, I would wait until morning to hear about it. Phone rings at 11:00pm or so: “did you hear about the game?” I (politely) advised her of my request (instruction?). “Relax, they won!!!!! Off to arena at 0830 next morning to get in the ticket line for Game 7.

Our seats were in the Cents’ attacking zone for O/T. I swear there were many people who somehow got into the arena between Per. 3 and O/T, the standees ringing the boards were 3 and 4 rows deep and that many weren’t there earlier. Shots 7-1 Det. In O/T, every time the Wings headed up ice I couldn’t look, just stared straight ahead waiting for the groan or cheer. Puck comes into O-zone, Brad Brown tees it up at the line and sends a Brownie special (i.e. 7 hopper) towards the net, Jason Campeau picks himself up after being flattened between the circles in time to swipe at the puck on the way by. North Bay Centennials: 1994 OHL Champions.

Fischhaber

Sep 3, 2014
You're convinced that the best 2 teams in the league don't include the league champions...ok then

Was Windsor the best team when they won their last cup? I would say no, but that's just me. They got a free ticket to the finals and beat up on tired teams. The same thing happened with Hamilton. You have to play the hand you are given and I have nothing but respect for the Bulldogs for that, but anyone who watched the Western Conference playoffs will tell you that the Greyhounds played 2 much better teams before that series and fell flat from exhaustion. That's hockey for you, always interesting.

Reactions: ottersguy

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
Was Windsor the best team when they won their last cup? I would say no, but that's just me. They got a free ticket to the finals and beat up on tired teams. The same thing happened with Hamilton. You have to play the hand you are given and I have nothing but respect for the Bulldogs for that, but anyone who watched the Western Conference playoffs will tell you that the Greyhounds played 2 much better teams before that series and fell flat from exhaustion. That's hockey for you, always interesting.
100% agree with this assessment. Erie/SSM in 2015 is a prime example where I think them battling it out vs Oshawa coasting through their conference slightly impacted the finals. Erie was pretty exhausted when the finals started that year as that SSM team was capable of winning a title and Mem cup .

2017 Erie had to face London and an elite goalie for 7 then face a very strong team in Owen sound for 6. I would argue that Erie/OS beat Windsor in 5/6 games during the playoffs if they met.

Reactions: Fischhaber

Snippit

Dec 5, 2012

Windsor wasn't the best team in the OHL because they lost to London. Hamilton didn't lose to anyone.

It's not like Hamilton didn't play any good teams. Kingston was a strong team too.

Give credit where it's due. They took you guys out in 6 - it's not like they squeaked by.

Nerf27

Oct 15, 2012
100% agree with this assessment. Erie/SSM in 2015 is a prime example where I think them battling it out vs Oshawa coasting through their conference slightly impacted the finals. Erie was pretty exhausted when the finals started that year as that SSM team was capable of winning a title and Mem cup .

2017 Erie had to face London and an elite goalie for 7 then face a very strong team in Owen sound for 6. I would argue that Erie/OS beat Windsor in 5/6 games during the playoffs if they met.
Erie lost because McDavid was shut down point blank. These are teenagers and athletes. Oshawa was the best team in he league in 2015 and in the CHL tired had nothing to do with it. Give it a rest trying to make your excuses

Fischhaber

Sep 3, 2014

We must have it all wrong. The Eastern Conference fans said whoever wins is always the best and fatigue has nothing to do with it.

This year is the first time that the Eastern Conference has been comparable in this millennium (11 games over .500 so far) so we'll see if their thoughts change this year.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad