Best of 2010 draft

FinlandPanther

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 16, 2009
Florida
Florida did okayin the draft though Erik Gudbranson should not have been picked at #3

yes he should have. we need a player like him and we took him. he's developed his offensive game and us taking him there looks even better now. we didn't need fowler, we have kulikov.

FinlandPanther

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 16, 2009
Florida
After one season after last year's draft, which teams picks do you consider best or worst all-around from 1st to 7th round?

Here's my opinions

Best

Predators
Bruins
Ducks
Rangers
Canes

HM : Oilers,Kings,Avs

Worst

Panthers
Jackets
Basically why these two will continue to be bad in the future imo

HM: Devils

This is a joke. We were regarded as having the best draft. Erik Gudbranson, Bjugstad and Howden..... Petrovic, Hyman, Brittain, Donskoi. I'm not even mentioning Mcfarland who can actually turn out to be a regular even with his subpar junior career. I'd say if 7 out 13 have impact potential then we did excellent. I honestly don't know what draft you watched, but we killed it.

Stanleyjub

Oct 24, 2009
hockey
This is a joke. We were regarded as having the best draft. Erik Gudbranson, Bjugstad and Howden..... Petrovic, Hyman, Brittain, Donskoi. I'm not even mentioning Mcfarland who can actually turn out to be a regular even with his subpar junior career. I'd say if 7 out 13 have impact potential then we did excellent. I honestly don't know what draft you watched, but we killed it.

I wasn't evaluating this draft considering how these players will pan out eventually. I was just comparing last season only :)
I can see many ppl think that putting Panthers having one of the worst drafts means that i think they had bad draft. Not at all, I just thought they didn't have one of the best compared to other NHL-teams and overall.

FinlandPanther

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 16, 2009
Florida
I wasn't evaluating this draft considering how these players will pan out eventually. I was just comparing last season only :)
I can see many ppl think that putting Panthers having one of the worst drafts means that i think they had bad draft. Not at all, I just thought they didn't have one of the best compared to other NHL-teams and overall.

I'm still not understanding. Which prospects had bad seasons. All exceeded expecations immensely except for Bjugstad who had a good year and had to battle mono. He should dominate next year though.

J17 Vs Proclamation

Oct 29, 2004
Reading.

Bad ; Of poor quality; inferior or defective
Worst ; Of the poorest quality or the lowest standard

Calling it one of the worst drafts is therefore implying it was also bad, because the two words have very close meanings.

The Panthers certainly didn't have the poorest quality draft. With so many picks in high rounds and many of those prospects having solid years, i think its frankly incorrect to suggest that the Panthers draft lacked quality.

What i think you are meaning to say and are implementing this thought into entirely the wrong context, is you think the Panthers should have done more with their picks. That pound for pound, it may not compare favourably, because they didn't utilize them efficiently enough in your opinion compared to how you view other teams draft. I don't completely agree with this view, but it's a view i can respect. Being a Florida fan, im only really disappointed with the McFarland and Brickley picks, but also recognize that it's likely that we passed up on a better player (Kuznetsov and Skinner) at #25 and #3 respectively.

But to classify Florida's draft as the worst or bad, is a pretty difficult view to assign to. You have 3 1st rounders who made significant progress ; Gudbranson, Bjugstad and Howden. All of which possess the potential to be good or better NHL players. You have Petrovic, McFarland and Brickley who all have solid (if unspectacular) NHL potential, and some later picks who are progressing nicely ; Donskoi, Brittain, Hyman. It's concievable one of those players could become an above average NHL player one day which is certainly positive. Quality, Depth and later developers all plentiful in this draft for the Panthers and although it's almost guaranteed several of these prospects will disappoint and bust, it's difficult to see the Panthers not getting some good NHL players from this draft. Which of course is the point right? Don't confuse efficiency with good or bad.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
So they drafted for what they thought they needed in McIlrath and it backfired on them as Del Zotto bombed and Fowler has been outstanding as a young rookie proven in the NHL. While the whole year their team could have really used a great puck mover and PP QB. That makes it good?

Especially when your current core is Staal, Girardi, McDonaugh, Sauer. All Dmen who are stay at home guys and not going to put up many points.

Fowler wasn't any better than Del Zotto was in his rookie year...it's entirely possible Fowler runs into the same kind of troubles and that Del Zotto gets back on track. I'm not really go on and on about whether the Rangers should have taken Fowler, but Del Zotto most certainly is not out of the picture yet and has a ton of ability (and isn't a gigantic pansy like Fowler is)

Staal, Girardi, Mcdonagh, Erixon, all have the potential to put up 30-40 points...not fantastic but they're all more two way defensemen than strictly stay at home guys.

I thought the Rangers should have taken Tarasenko, I still do, but people are too obsessed with Fowler IMO.

2010 looks to be a pretty decent draft for the Rangers overall. We'll have to see what happens with McIlrath, but past him, Thomas looks like a goal scoring dynamo, but we'll have to see if he can translate that success. One of the best goalscorers in the CHL, though. Fasth is looking like a late round gem...let him develop another couple of years in Sweden and bring him on over. Very fast, very hard working player with scoring ability. Yogan missed a lot of time because of injury, but he's another guy who might have a little something to his game and could be a NHLer in the future.

Mit Yarrum

HoF Turd Shiner
Apr 1, 2010
I don't understand why the Panthers are listed under "worst". You must have some alternate meaning of the word in mind or perhaps English is not your first language.

I doubt you'll find anyone on these boards that agrees with you there. It's a bit mind-boggling actually.

Stanleyjub

Oct 24, 2009
hockey
Hmm, i dont see Panthers having the worst ,just one of the bottom teams all-around with their 13 picks.
Again as i see 2010 draft quite deep, no team had a bad draft. Maybe i should rephrase "worst" to not so good than other teams :)

I see i'm quite alone with my opinion :cry: but we'll see who was right in few years :naughty:

I didn't say that any had a bad season, just nothing spectacular considering the three 1st-rounders.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad