Best of 2010 draft

Stanleyjub

Oct 24, 2009
hockey
After one season after last year's draft, which teams picks do you consider best or worst all-around from 1st to 7th round?

Here's my opinions

Best

Predators
Bruins
Ducks
Rangers
Canes

HM : Oilers,Kings,Avs

Worst

Panthers
Jackets
Basically why these two will continue to be bad in the future imo

HM: Devils

Wheatking

Sep 25, 2006
The Oilers have got to be one of the best. Right now it's looking like they had an amazing 2nd round.

Martin Marincin was one of the best rookies in the WHL and as a Dman was at a point per game for the majority of the season.

Tyler Pitlick had a slow start to his WHL career but after about a month he came around and finished the season well over a point per game.

Curtis Hamilton had 82 points in 62 WHL games this season and his PPG actually decreased after Brayden Schenn was traded and put on his line. He had a very good WJC for Canada as well.

In the 3rd round they grabbed Ryan Martindale. He made up a third of arguably the best line in the OHL last season. He had 83 points in 65 games.

Jeremie Blain was taken in the 4th round. He's a Dman in the QMJHL. He missed close to 30 games but still lead his team's defense in points. He had 37 points in 40 games.

In the 5th round they grabbed Tyler Bunz. It sounds like he was probably the 2nd best goalie in the WHL this season. He got an invite to Team Canada's camp.

ManByng

It's Me OilTastic
Aug 4, 2009
St. Albert, Alberta
the Oilers did well in the draft last year, but the Panthers are one of the worst? not in my book! they did very well, and regardless of what Craig Button or any other so called "expert" thinks, Eric Gudbranson, Alex Petrovic, Nick Bjugstad and Quinton Howdon and Connor Brickley all have a chance to have an impact on Florida in the future.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
the Oilers did well in the draft last year, but the Panthers are one of the worst? not in my book! they did very well, and regardless of what Craig Button or any other so called "expert" thinks, Eric Gudbranson, Alax Perovic, Nick Bjugstad and Quinton Howdon and Connor Brickley all have a chance to have an impact on Florida in the future.

This. I don't think it was a bad draft for them at all.

But uh...OP was your best list ranked in a particular order? Cause Anaheim being third is robbery (Fowler 12 Etem 29 Smith Pelly 42 Lind 5th Heed 5th)

Vic Rattlehead*

Seguin, Spooner, and Knight?

Loving it. Best draft for Boston since '06 when they picked up Kessel, Lucic, and Marchand.

Redwingsfan

Global Moderator
Jul 15, 2006
Probably not the best, but the Wings had a really good 2010 draft..

#21: Riley Sheahan. Looks like a sure bet to at least make the NHL. In what capacity remains to be seen. By all reports he's excellent defensively already, but needs to start putting some points on the board.. Should become a solid 2nd or 3rd line center.

#51: Calle Jarnkrok. One of the guys I wanted with the 21st pick. Extremely skilled and smart center for Brynas in the SEL. Led all junior players in points with 27 (11+16) in 49 games.. Should become a big part of Detroit's future.

#81: Louis-Marc Aubry. I was not a happy camper when they passed on Pulkkinen to pick this guy, but surprisingly enough, Pulkkinen was still available 30 picks later. Aubry has all the tools needed to become a 3rd/4th line center, but he has a long way to go. Will likely spend the next 3 years in Grand Rapids..

#111: Teemu Pulkkinen. 5th in SM-liiga scoring this year with 54 points (18+36) in 55 games. Will hopefully become a really good scorer in Detroit's top-six in the near future.

#141: Petr Mrazek. One of the best goalies in the OHL this year. A real workhorse for the 67's. Goalie's are hard to predict, but he's looking real good so far.

#171: Brooks Macek. A disappointing season with just 41 points in 63 games for the Americans/hitmen in the WHL after putting up 73 points in 72 games in his draft year. Doesn't look like a future NHL player.

#201: Benjamin Marshall. A great skating offensive d-man. 7th in D scoring in the USHL in his rookie season. Has a long way to go, but is showing a lot of promise. According to HF, Detroits 14th best prospect just a year after he was selected in the 7th round..

All in all, I think the Wings did a great job at the draft last year.. I'll be surprised if we dont get at least 3 NHL players out of this draft.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
Um Minnesota?

Mikael Granlund - Need to say anything more? Probably one of the best players right now not playing in the NHL.
Brett Bulmer - Possible power forward that is coming into his own.
Johan Larsson - Underrated Swede, who did well in their league
Jason Zucker - One of the best NCAA players right now and was superb as a rookie. A steal at late in the 2nd round.
Johan Gustafsson - Mini Monster. Did well as well in his league
Dylan McKinlay - Didn't sign him. But he did regress.

Quality =/= Quantity. Minnesota made 4 solid picks in the top 60 and they will contribute to the organization.

Stanleyjub

Oct 24, 2009
hockey
I think 2010 draft looks to be nicely deep, so pretty much all the teams got assets that they needed.

Yes, Panthers will have Gudbranson, Petrovic, Howden who all had good season. While i think Bjugstad and Brickley had kinda meh-season considering where they were drafted.

Also Donskoi imo was a good pick on the 4th round. But having 14 picks and 3-5 of them having good season doesnt look so good, considering how deep this draft was. Also if I would be a Panthers-fan i would have some vague "what if"-feelings considering drafting Gudbranson instead of D-men like Fowler or maybe even Gormley. But no-one knows ofc who will be the best of them eventually.

Oilers,Wings and Wild had all good draft yes :) and the list wasnt in order, even the HM:s could be on that list. Its hard to put them in order. Also it's hard to compare teams that have 4 picks to team who has 14. :)

Remember also that i only compared how these prospects look after this only particular season, it could look very different in few years.

eldiablo17

Aug 22, 2007
Worst = Vancouver.

No picks in the first three rounds, although I did like the McNally and Polasek picks in the 4th and 5th

Roulin

Mar 21, 2007
Montreal
Anaheim did great in the 1st round. They look to be proving the worth of taking players who fall from their consensus ranking.

SeenSchenn2

Itchin' For Mitch
Jun 15, 2010
Thornhill, ON
Considering Toronto didn't start out with a 1st/2nd rounder, we did OK.

2nd round, 43rd overall
- Brad Ross scored 31 goals this year in Portland.

3rd round, 62th overall - Greg McKegg scored 49 goals this year and tallide 92 pts in 66 games.

7th round, 182 overall - Josh Nicholls was a different animal this year playing along side Marek Viedensky and Curtis Hamilton. Tallied 87 pts this year which was a huge improvement on his draft year numbers of 48 pts.

---

Sondre Olden didn't look too bad in the WJC (obviously my only viewing of him other than the Rookie tournament)... needs to fill out more.

Daniel Brodin looks like he could be a decent 3rd or 4th liner.

Hello Johnny

Apr 13, 2007
Our 2nd round picks are ****, but with Johansen, Archibald, Madaisky, and Corbeil, we could have done a lot worse. We also got Chaput from Philly at the deadline, drafted in the 3rd round.

The Panthers had a monster draft also, probably among the best. As if the 2010 draft alone is why the two teams will continue to suffer...

vendetta

#CatsAreComing
Mar 22, 2011
Edmonton
After one season after last year's draft, which teams picks do you consider best or worst all-around from 1st to 7th round?

Here's my opinions

Best

Predators
Bruins
Ducks
Rangers
Canes

Worst

Panthers
Jackets

its clear u dont follow hockey very closely... the panthers had one of the best drafts... guds got better all year howden had a great year bjugstad finished the year on the top line as a freshman hyman won junior player of the year donskoi had decent year in europe. posting them as the worst is beyond ridiculous

Pajicz

Mar 22, 2011
Um Minnesota?

Mikael Granlund - Need to say anything more? Probably one of the best players right now not playing in the NHL.
Brett Bulmer - Possible power forward that is coming into his own.
Johan Larsson - Underrated Swede, who did well in their league
Jason Zucker - One of the best NCAA players right now and was superb as a rookie. A steal at late in the 2nd round.
Johan Gustafsson - Mini Monster. Did well as well in his league
Dylan McKinlay - Didn't sign him. But he did regress.

Quality =/= Quantity. Minnesota made 4 solid picks in the top 60 and they will contribute to the organization.

Agreed, Wild had a great draft. I especially like the Granlund and Zucker picks, as those two guys are extremely important assets for Wild in the future.

Stanleyjub

Oct 24, 2009
hockey
its clear u dont follow hockey very closely... the panthers had one of the best drafts... guds got better all year howden had a great year bjugstad finished the year on the top line as a freshman hyman won junior player of the year donskoi had decent year in europe. posting them as the worst is beyond ridiculous

It's clear that you didn't understand what i meant. Having 13 picks and only those 3-5 picks having good season doesnt make it good draft all-around.

Doesn't mean that it's a bad thing for Panthers of course, as it's likely that those 3-5 might have some kind of nhl-future.

Take for example Bruins, they got 8 picks and i could see they having also 3-5 who might have nhl-future(Seguin included), that's why i think Bruins had better draft overall than Panthers.(and many others)

But this is pretty much opinion-based thing because it's all in speculation-level still, after few years we can find out who had good draft truly etc. :)

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Worst

Panthers
Jackets

Panthers had a pretty solid draft, they just didn't get an immediate contributions. Gudbranson should crack the team this year. Bjugstad looked pretty solid the handful of times I watched him. Connor Brickley looks like he'll be a pretty good 3rd liner down the road. Even though they have Markstrom, Sam Brittain looked great this year and Florida got him in the 4th.

We'll see about the Jackets. I really didn't like them taking Dalton Smith at the top of round 2. Johansen has been progressing nicely, so we'll see how it turns out for them.

As for the Devils, they really lucked into Merrill at the top of the 2nd round. A lot of people had him in the first and he had a good season with Michigan and a decent showing at the WJC. They took Scott Wedgewood in round 3 and he had a decent season with some hiccups as the starter. He's one of four goalies invited to Canada's WJC summer camp. Between the two of them, the Devils draft is looking alright so far considering we didn't have a ton of picks.

Looking back at older drafts, you're pretty satisfied if you walk out with 2-3 useful NHLers. It's rare when you can walk out with 5+ (Detroit 1989 is legendary). Boston getting Kessel, Lucic, and Marchand in 2006 is basically what most teams would want to strive for nowadays.

4thliner*

Man listening to Steve Spott coach and GM of the Rangers, we just gotta have Landeskog!!!!

He said you can talk about RNH all you want, but come back to me in couple of years in the playoffs. He said he is the next captain of the team that drafts him guaranteed and will help them win a cup or come close to it.

Just find away!

He described Strome to Steve Yzerman, a guy that will be a great player in the NHL for 15 years.

Synergy27

F-A-C-G-C-E
Apr 27, 2004
Washington, D.C.

Here's my opinions

Best

Predators
Bruins
Ducks
Rangers
Canes

Worst

Panthers
Jackets

The more I think about it, the more it seems like the Rangers might have known what they were doing all along. With the run on forwards ahead of them there wasn't much left outside of Tarasenko as far as predictable high-end talent was concerned. Fowler looked to be a redundant part after Del Zotto's strong rookie year, so McIlrath was a reasonable risk especially if you acknowledge that their scouts knew they'd be able to get Thomas and Fasth in the later rounds. Both of those forwards look to be early favorites to go in the first round in a re-draft a little while down the road.

Quaz

Mar 15, 2006
St Louis
I thought the Blues had a pretty good draft:

Jaden Schwartz - Great rookie NCAA season - made Canada WJC Team
Vladimir Tarasenko - Great showing at WJC (spot duty at WC), still expected to come to NA in 12'
Sebastian Wannstrom - Played well in WJC, didn't get much playing time in SEL
Jani Hakanpaa - one of last cuts for Finland's WJC team
Cody Beach - Decent season in WHL

jigsaw99

Dec 20, 2010
Florida did okayin the draft though Erik Gudbranson should not have been picked at #3

SouthFLFan79

Feb 2, 2007

Here's my opinions

Best

Predators
Bruins
Ducks
Rangers
Canes

Worst

Panthers
Jackets

Gudbranson, Petrovic, Howden, Bjustad

cats had one of the best drafts not the worst, quite the opposite of what you have. All of those prospects had great years.

kiwidevil

The more I think about it, the more it seems like the Rangers might have known what they were doing all along. With the run on forwards ahead of them there wasn't much left outside of Tarasenko as far as predictable high-end talent was concerned. Fowler looked to be a redundant part after Del Zotto's strong rookie year, so McIlrath was a reasonable risk especially if you acknowledge that their scouts knew they'd be able to get Thomas and Fasth in the later rounds. Both of those forwards look to be early favorites to go in the first round in a re-draft a little while down the road.

So they drafted for what they thought they needed in McIlrath and it backfired on them as Del Zotto bombed and Fowler has been outstanding as a young rookie proven in the NHL. While the whole year their team could have really used a great puck mover and PP QB. That makes it good?

Especially when your current core is Staal, Girardi, McDonaugh, Sauer. All Dmen who are stay at home guys and not going to put up many points.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->