Best national team ever

Blades of Glory

Troll Captain
Feb 12, 2006
California
I'm not so enamored with the 1987 Canada Cup team. Yeah, they had Gretzky, Lemieux, and Bourque. That doesn't hide the fact their defense didn't exactly comprise of Orr, Potvin, and Robinson. They didn't exactly dominate the Soviets, despite playing at home and going up against...what's his name...damn I forgot, but it sure as hell wasn't Vladislav Tretiak in the Russian net.

As pointed out by several of you, on paper and in the games, the 1976 Canada Cup team was mind-blowing. But, I also take off points for the fact that they didn't have a challenge in that tournament from the Soviets, without Kharlamaov, Mikhailov, Petrov, and a few more.

My best team was the 1981 Soviets. That team was stacked.

Eisen

Sep 30, 2009
Duesseldorf
I can't say what was the best team, but that '72 Soviets at least deserve to be on the list over some others mentioned.

Psycho Papa Joe

Porkchop Hoser
Feb 27, 2002
Cesspool, Ontario
Visit site
I can't say what was the best team, but that '72 Soviets at least deserve to be on the list over some others mentioned.

Neither the Canadian or Soviet team 1972 teams should be part of this discussion IMO. The 72 Canadian team was better team than the 72 Soviet team by a tad, and the 72 Canadian team has zero votes. IMO that's an accurate reflection of the overall talent on those teams in that 8 game series. Great series without a doubt, but comparatively speaking, those teams were not as good as the great Canadian teams we have seen assembled since (ie notably 76, 84, 87, 02) and the great Soviet teams (79, 81, 84 and 87).

IMO the team getting the biggest raw deal here is the 84 Canadian and Soviet teams.

Meridian

Feb 18, 2010
Odessa
Neither the Canadian or Soviet team 1972 teams should be part of this discussion IMO. The 72 Canadian team was better team than the 72 Soviet team by a tad, and the 72 Canadian team has zero votes.

maybe it's because of it was too long time ago and hockey was slower less people watched it even on videos.

Psycho Papa Joe

Porkchop Hoser
Feb 27, 2002
Cesspool, Ontario
Visit site
maybe it's because of it was too long time ago and hockey was slower less people watched it even on videos.

I'm going by the talent level. I don't suscribe to the thought process that says that players now are so much better than guys 30 or40 years ago. They just have better equipment and training. It's like saying Lewis Hamilton is a better driver than Schumacher in the 90's because he has a car with better technology.

I saw most of those guys play and the 72 Canadian team's talent level just doesn't measure up IMO. Now if Orr and Hull had been available, It might be a different story. But there were some real non-stars on that team. But that team was still better than the 72 Soviets by a whisker, so IMO neither team deserves to be considered amongst the best since I know that the 72 Canadian team wasn't as good as the teams put together in 76 and beyond.

VMBM

And it didn't even bring me down
Sep 24, 2008
Helsinki, Finland
:laugh::laugh::laugh: I attached videos, you even didn't try to watch it. And i know why: you don't want to let your illusions to leave you, cause they're so sweet.

You are way off. I have no reason to defend Koharskis or Eaglesons of this world; I'm not a Canada fan and never have been. So there are no sweet illusions that would 'leave me'. And I don't need to watch no 'highlight' clips made by a CCCP fan who is still sore about the whole thing; I have the games on DVD anyway (great hockey, eh?).

Was the reffing bad and biased in the 3rd game IMO? Yes. Would Team Canada have won, if these games had been played in Soviet Union? No way, if they didn't change their game plan and play much more defensively (plus I'm pretty sure that the Soviet officials would have also done everything in their power to make it easier for USSR to get the win). But was it somehow impossible for USSR to win the game due to reffing/Eagleson? Like hell it was.

Fuhr >>>>>>>>>>>>> Mylnikov

There's the single biggest reason Team Canada won.

But enough of dis!

PlagerBros*

Ok, that's 'asinine'. :sarcasm:

What is the problem exactly? You know, with that attitude we would have missed a lot of great international hockey over the years ("it wasn't fair because they had their system and we didn't, bohoo"). Luckily Alan 'the Eagle' Eagleson was obsessed to prove that any team with the best Canadian players would beat the Soviets!

Would you have been happier if I compared Soviet club teams with their NHL counterparts??? Or did the Soviet teams have some unfair advantages there as well?

Edit: I can see that you feel there's something fundamentally wrong with comparing the teams, but lighten up, goddammit! A lot of the discussions/comparisons here at History of hockey are 'pointless' - for want of a better word.

Perhaps you should be the one to lighten up since you are the one arguing with everyone in this thread...and complaining to the mods. (and don't deny that since I have been told it was you)

Now, perhaps for the first time in this thread, you can attempt to actually show me why comparing teams who spend 11 months together with teams who are thrown together for a month, at best, using results from head to head play is illogical. You know instead of simply trying to attack and insult.

VMBM

Sep 24, 2008
Helsinki, Finland
Perhaps you should be the one to lighten up since you are the one arguing with everyone in this thread...and complaining to the mods. (and don't deny that since I have been told it was you)

???

Only one time ever have I had any contact with the mods, and that was some 2 months ago, when I had some - to make a long story short - serious technical problems. If that makes me a person who does nothing but complain, well...

Now, perhaps for the first time in this thread, you can attempt to actually show me why comparing teams who spend 11 months together with teams who are thrown together for a month, at best, using results from head to head play is illogical. You know instead of simply trying to attack and insult.

Isn't it your job to show why it's illogical to compare them, since it has been your view on the matter (which no one has backed up yet, though there must be some posters who agree with you)? As of now, the poll has received 55 votes, so to many, it appears to be a legitimate question and an interesting part of (hockey) history.

Why is it so impossible to compare them? There were different systems, but that was the deal and apparently accepted by everyone: Eagleson, the players... and of course, it was/is a rather convenient excuse, if Canada lost, right?!
But you'd think that it's actually quite a tribute to Canadian hockey that they could assemble a team that could compete - and even beat - a Soviet team who obviously (like Czechoslovakia and some others) had the advantage in preparation.

Plus there are two ways to look at this, as Zine for one showed; the best team on paper and the one that looked the best on the ice; I put greater emphasis on the latter, and thus the 1979 Soviets is my choice.

PS. You don't find anything wrong with your attitude/behaviour? But maybe you too could somehow show me how to improve myself (in terms of logic & intelligence) and make these polls, so I'm a little wiser the next time? (*only slightly sarcastic*)

PlagerBros*

Interesting response...not an actual response to what I was talking about but that is all you have done...well besides arguing with everyone in this thread and whining to the mods.

VMBM

Sep 24, 2008
Helsinki, Finland
The 1981 Soviets are kicking the a** of the 1979 version right now, I wonder why? Because 1981 team had KLM (who were just starting out anyway) and 1979 Soviets didn't? Or because they won the Canada Cup so convincingly? I'd still say those teams were very close in terms of depth, chemistry, superstar players and performances.

I'd like to make a closer comparison a little later...

VMBM

Sep 24, 2008
Helsinki, Finland
Interesting response...not an actual response to what I was talking about but that is all you have done...well besides arguing with everyone in this thread and whining to the mods.

That's it. You go this way --->
<---- and I go that way

Okay, guv?

PlagerBros*

That's it. You go this way --->
<---- and I go that way

Okay, guv?

Or what? Are you going to run to the mods...again????:laugh:

How about you sack up and explain why it is fair to select who is the best team by comparing teams who have been together for 11 months vs. ones who have been together for a month or less using one game or one small series?

Can you do that???? So far you have proven that you can't.

Step up, guv.

WingsFan95

Mar 22, 2008
Kanata
1989 Soviet Junior Team?

I know, I'm not being serious, but by names on that team:

Mogilny, Fedorov, Bure.

My Dear Lord.

And obviously a lot of other lesser players, but I'm sure some notables I'm missing because I cannot find the roster.

VMBM

Sep 24, 2008
Helsinki, Finland
But like I've said here many times; their win over the Soviets in the 1984 CC semi-final was the best performance by a Canadian team [vs. USSR] in a clutch game ever IMO.

I guess it's time to reconsider (if Russia counts) :amazed:

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad