Best Middleweights that can play hockey?

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
The two best in my opinion are Carcillo and Neil. Both of them have way more potential than any of the other "goons" in the NHL, especially Carcillo.

Root

Feb 22, 2010
How is Ryan Clowe considered a middleweight, is he not like 6'2 230 lbs.

he is a very good middleweight, can throw with some heavies but because of his offensive talent he doesn't throw with heavies often so i would say he is more of a middleweight.

i don't judge fighters by weight though, i judge by skill. heavy and middleweight are terms that are convenient to use, but i don't think there are real weight classes like boxing.

i go by four tiers. ill use Bruins players as examples.

the first is the enforcers or the ginormous guys who are good players and don't fight often but when they do its hard to call them anything other than a heavyweight. Thornton, Chara

the second is what most call middleweights, guys who fight often are very good but not at the enforcer level. Lucic, McQuaid, Stuart

the third is guys who fight but are smaller and not all that good at it. Campbell

the fourth is guys who don't fight at all but every once in a while have no choice and do it. blake wheeler, paille, whoever.

What is Mike Brown considered?

He is small, but throws them with the "big boys".

brown is a crappy middleweight type imo. he throws with some tough guys but is not all that good

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
I agree.. Prust isn't even big at all. Just a real good scraper who can play effective 3rd line hockey. Another one of the great trades by Sather.

yeah but after D Sutter had Alzheimer though

mrzeigler

.. but I'm not wrong
Sep 30, 2006
Pittsburgh
eagers a heavyweight. id say 210 and under is middleweight.

I, too, use weight to determine heavyweight/middleweight classes. And if we're going with 210 and the cutoff, then Engelland at 202 lbs qualifies.

Most PGH fans consider him to be our middleweight and Goddard our heavyweight. That Engelland is more effective than Goddard doesn't means he's a heavyweight.

jnyman

Jan 26, 2011
Taylor, FLORIDA
he is a very good middleweight, can throw with some heavies but because of his offensive talent he doesn't throw with heavies often so i would say he is more of a middleweight.

i don't judge fighters by weight though, i judge by skill. heavy and middleweight are terms that are convenient to use, but i don't think there are real weight classes like boxing.
i go by four tiers. ill use Bruins players as examples.

the first is the enforcers or the ginormous guys who are good players and don't fight often but when they do its hard to call them anything other than a heavyweight. Thornton, Chara

the second is what most call middleweights, guys who fight often are very good but not at the enforcer level. Lucic, McQuaid, Stuart

brown is a crappy middleweight type imo. he throws with some tough guys but is not all that good

This is how I classify them too. A 250lb European or Swede with a full shield and his gloves glued on is nothing like a Deryk Engelland that has heavy hands and will take on all the HEAVY work for the Penguins when Godard isn't in the lineup. Ryane Clowe is too valuable to be doing all the heavy work for the Sharks. They picked up Eager who if his mind is right he can do pretty well with the big boys IMHO.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad