Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Cure (Kurosawa, 1997)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Tofveve

Mar 10, 2013
The West
Also, one of the creepiest/disturbing horrors from 1990, on youtube in it's entirety is Begotten. I wouldn't call it great, just rather sickening/disturbing/creepy.

Trailer:

Reactions: Violenza Domestica

member 51464

Not to be a stickler, but y'all would consider The Silence of the Lambs as a horror film? I see it more as a psychological thriller/cop flick than anything else...:huh:
I was thinking the same thing for Se7en. I was just voting for the movies I liked, haha. Oops

Reactions: J T Money

Pranzo Oltranzista

Oct 18, 2017
Also, one of the creepiest/disturbing horrors from 1990, on youtube in it's entirety is Begotten. I wouldn't call it great, just rather sickening/disturbing/creepy.

Trailer:

Forgot about that film... I really didn't like it, once you're passed the interesting visuals, there's nothing much left. If you're into weird stuff, try Mecanix, a little less weird, but a lot more interesting IMO:

Reactions: Tofveve

Tofveve

Mar 10, 2013
The West
Forgot about that film... I really didn't like it, once you're passed the interesting visuals, there's nothing much left. If you're into weird stuff, try Mecanix, a little less weird, but a lot more interesting IMO:

I didn't like it either, but honestly, the whole porch sperm-cutting-birth scene is extremely unsettling. Goes down as one of the more disturbing "movies" in horror history. I think it could have been better if there were words and a story that was more apparent. Otherwise it was mostly an artistic/stylish piece. I'm surprised it's in its entirety on youtube.

I haven't heard of Mecanix. Interesting, will have to check it out - thx!

Pranzo Oltranzista

Oct 18, 2017
I didn't like it either, but honestly, the whole porch sperm-cutting-birth scene is extremely unsettling. Goes down as one of the more disturbing "movies" in horror history. I think it could have been better of there were words and a story that was more apparent. Otherwise it was mostly an artistic/stylish piece. I'm surprised it's in its entirety on youtube.

I haven't heard of Mecanix. Interesting, will have to check it out - thx!

Even though I mentioned the Guinea Pig films, I stayed away from what I thought were the most disturbing films I've seen, I'm not sure they deserve the publicity.

Tofveve

Mar 10, 2013
The West
Even though I mentioned the Guinea Pig films, I stayed away from what I thought were the most disturbing films I've seen, I'm not sure they deserve the publicity.

Yeah, I've delved pretty much into the depths of horror. Almost anything as long as it meets its objective has some merit. But not sure I'd own everything, nor do I enjoy everything, and lastly I certainly don't promote everything. Some of the crappy latter Nightmare On Elm Street movies (5-7 for example though I'd have to rewatch to condemn them individually) are equally garbage or worse IMO. Same goes for some widely regarded comedies which I'm thinking of ridding my library of just because overall they're terrible no matter their recognition. Btw comedy, horror and thriller/mystery are my favorite genres.

Pranzo Oltranzista

Oct 18, 2017
Yeah, I've delved pretty much into the depths of horror. Almost anything as long as it meets its objective has some merit. But not sure I'd own everything, nor do I enjoy everything, and lastly I certainly don't promote everything. Some of the crappy latter Nightmare On Elm Street movies (5-7 for example though I'd have to rewatch to condemn them individually) are equally garbage or worse IMO. Same goes for some widely regarded comedies which I'm thinking of ridding my library of just because overall they suck no matter their recognition.

I like the 7th Elm Street film a lot. 5 & 6 are indeed terrible. And 2-3-4 ain't that good either.

Tofveve

Mar 10, 2013
The West
I like the 7th Elm Street film a lot. 5 & 6 are indeed terrible. And 2-3-4 ain't that good either.

I don't know if it was because I binge-watched them, but yeah, thought the last 3 were just recycled notions done horribly. Heck, the last 6 before Freddy vs Jason. I thought the most recent remake was sort of okay, but haven't seen it in awhile.

Honestly I sometimes think I don't want the crap movies in my library no matter what franchise they're apart of.

I actually liked nearly all of the Texas Chainsaw Massacre remakes and sequals. Those were actually pretty good. And I liked Pet Sematary 2. Also, some of the Wrong Turn sequals were decent. But most franchises do definitely drop off after the first one. I just hate crap sequals and remakes.

KallioWeHardlyKnewYe

Hey! We won!
May 30, 2003
Voted Audition but think I probably should have gone with Dead Alive. Despite this period being a pretty formative part of my movie watching life, I can't gin up a lot of excitement for many of these. Not to say there aren't some here I don't love or like greatly ... there are. I just keep looking at the list and feeling a collective meh.

Babe Ruth

Don't leave me hangin' on the telephone..
Feb 2, 2016
It's a weird decade for horror, not a lot of the films listed are true horror films.

Good point.. Silence of the Lambs is almost just psychological drama.. but it does have a serial killer & a cannibal to qualify it as 'horror'. I was thinking same thing about Copycat.. not a traditional horror movie, but it did have the horror element of depicting a serial/spree killer's hunt..

Maybe the horror market was just burned up after the 8os heydey. I mentioned this in one of the other horror decade threads.. The iconic shoes of Jason, Michael, and Freddy Krueger have never been filled. And maybe there's just no desire (or creative skills) to fill 'em. Audiences don't want the extended franchises of indestructible, virtuoso killers anymore (?)

Asheville

Feb 1, 2018
You want me to add one of these awful films so you can vote for it? :laugh: (I'll do it)

You have Scream, a teen slasher flick (what? Couldnt also recall I Know What You Did Last Summer?), yet scoff at Death Machine? Based on your inconsistent criteria, where's The Burbs?

Pranzo Oltranzista

Oct 18, 2017
You have Scream, a teen slasher flick (what? Couldnt also recall I Know What You Did Last Summer?), yet scoff at Death Machine? Based on your inconsistent criteria, where's The Burbs?

Oh, I don't put up the list based on my tastes (when I do, it's only to add the film I will vote for) and I hate Scream (even said in the original post that I wouldn't have include it). I leave open spots exactly because I know I'll miss stuff that others will want to vote for, so the question was honest.

Pranzo Oltranzista

Oct 18, 2017
Very underwhelming results here:

1) Silence of the Lambs
2) Scream
3) Se7en

With Event Horizon and Misery as runner-ups.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad