• The Stendhal Syndrome (Argento, 1996)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Cure (Kurosawa, 1997)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Pranzo Oltranzista

Oct 18, 2017
Not really sure about my selection here, again feel free to propose other films for open spots. I also have stuff like The Reflecting Skin that won't gather any votes and that can be taken out if there's spots missing. I don't like that there's a lot of not-so-horror films in that list, but I tend to vote that way myself here... 1997 sure was a great year. I felt I had to put Scream in there, even if Wes Craven's New Nightmare is 10x better. I also prefer Interview With the Vampire to The Addiction, but thought the vote might go that way...

Other stuff I considered:

The Sixth Sense
Army of Darkness
Wes Craven's New Nightmare
People Under the Stairs
Interview With the Vampire
The Frighteners
Castle Freak
Whispering Corridors
Stir of Echoes
Dust Devil
Hardware
Nadja
The Dark Half
Man Bites Dog
Lord of Illusion
Frankenhooker
Night of the Living Dead
Habit
Body Snatchers
Tremors
Bride of the Re-Animator
Raising Cain
Pi
Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me

Reactions: Tofveve

Babe Ruth

Don't leave me hangin' on the telephone..
Feb 2, 2016
I think The Silence of the Lambs was the best movie of the decade.. really of any/all genres.

Candyman was my runner-up vote..

Reactions: Violenza Domestica

Mimsy

Mar 21, 2015
"Silence of the Lambs" feels like a no-brainer.

Even though "Bram Stoker's Dracula" is flawed (not a fan of either Ryder or Reeves in this one), it's ambitious and has lots of old school eye candy effects and set pieces that bring the story to life. Also has Monica Bellucci.

It's been many years since I've seen "Jacob's Ladder" and am not sure if it holds up. I loved it at the time.

Exorcist III is the best of the sequel/prequel films and is very creepy.

I'm going with "Silence of the Lambs" and "Bram Stoker's Dracula".

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
Jacob's Ladder is my main standout. I was going back and forth between Blair Witch and Audition (Funny Games is up there too) but settled on Blair Witch. I think it's a movie that people look back on negatively because of the whole found footage boom that was just awful afterwards, but there were so many cool things about the filming of it that makes it stand out to me, like the director not being present and instead leaving notes for the actors to go off of, and the whole viral marketing campaign behind it.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
A really good one is Cemetery Man (1994) it's a mix of horror comedy,

For me it would be Twin Peaks Fire Walk with Me since Twin Peaks might be my favorite all time show but I never thought of it as horror.

I really liked Jacobs Ladder but I don't consider it horror it was based off true events by the military. Same for Lost Highway, even Silence of the Lambs doesn't feel like a horror movie to me.

there's a lot to chose from for me from what i've seen,

Event Horizon
Misery
Lord of Illusion
Bram Stokers Dracula
In the Mouth of Madness
Arachnophobia
The Exorcist III
Interview with a vampire
Seven
Sixth Sense
The Frighteners
Stir of Echoes
The Dark Half

Pranzo Oltranzista

Oct 18, 2017
A really good one is Cemetery Man (1994) it's a mix of horror comedy,

For me it would be Twin Peaks Fire Walk with Me since Twin Peaks might be my favorite all time show but I never thought of it as horror.

I really liked Jacobs Ladder but I don't consider it horror it was based off true events by the military. Same for Lost Highway, even Silence of the Lambs doesn't feel like a horror movie to me.

there's a lot to chose from for me from what i've seen,

Event Horizon
Misery
Lord of Illusion
Bram Stokers Dracula
In the Mouth of Madness
Arachnophobia
The Exorcist III
Interview with a vampire
Seven
Sixth Sense
The Frighteners
Stir of Echoes
The Dark Half

Cemetery Man is in the poll. I'm not sure about the rest of your post - do you want me to add Twin Peaks? As I said in the opener, I am too a little bothered by the heavy not-so-horror content of this selection. Even my own selections - Funny Games and Audition - are questionable entries (it seems you haven't seen them, you have to, amazing films!).

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Cemetery Man is in the poll. I'm not sure about the rest of your post - do you want me to add Twin Peaks? As I said in the opener, I am too a little bothered by the heavy not-so-horror content of this selection. Even my own selections - Funny Games and Audition - are questionable entries (it seems you haven't seen them, you have to, amazing films!).

thanks I didn't see it so I had to change my vote.

never saw either but Audition looks good.

I wouldn't add Twin Peaks.

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
Just watched Event Horizon the other day...movie still holds up.
I wasn't big on Event Horizon. I love a lot of the ideas but it just feels lacking or incomplete in its execution. I know it was a nightmare for studio interference for Anderson, but for whatever reason so much was left on the cutting room floor. The TV series is something I'm really looking forward to. Like I said, I love a lot of the ideas and atmosphere behind it, but I think it's something that could be fleshed out so much more, which a TV series should be able to do.

J T Money

Biggest Bozo
Jan 21, 2016
I wasn't big on Event Horizon. I love a lot of the ideas but it just feels lacking or incomplete in its execution. I know it was a nightmare for studio interference for Anderson, but for whatever reason so much was left on the cutting room floor. The TV series is something I'm really looking forward to. Like I said, I love a lot of the ideas and atmosphere behind it, but I think it's something that could be fleshed out so much more, which a TV series should be able to do.

I agree that they could have done much more with it...the 1hr 30min run time hurts it the most.

I was fortunate enough to rewatch it with a few others that had not seen it and they loved it.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
I went with Silence of the Lambs (which I think is an all time great horror movie)

The other movie I selected was misery, Cathy Bates was an absolute powerhouse in that movie, her deadpan "normal" behavior in that hobbling scene is unbelievably creepy, you can almost feel it as its happening

I also loved Event Horizon (which I watched recently) but I couldn't go past those other two movies

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
Misery is one of my favorite movies, so that was an easy pick. Picking the other was harder, but I went with Silence of the Lambs, since it's probably the actual best of the decade, even though it's a film that I don't care to watch often. I saw both in the theater, but have watched 'Silence' only a few times since, whereas I've re-watched Misery every 3-5 years since.

Comparing the polls for both decades, it strikes me that the 90s weren't nearly as good for horror as the 80s. The 80s were jam packed and the 90s didn't have the same number or quality, it seems, at least to me.

Last edited:

Pranzo Oltranzista

Oct 18, 2017
Hard to vote for 2. Blair witch started a revolution of found footage horror

That was Cannibal Holocaust. Blair Witch warmed it up.

Of course Cannibal Holocaust used found footage way before and way better then Blair Witch, but TP is still right. A lot of films tried to emulate Cannibal Holocaust, but weirdly not its technics. Blair Witch, on the contrary, generated lots of found footage films - I don't know about a revolution, but it did have a following. From the list, Man Bites Dog (C'est arrivé près de chez vous) also uses similar technics and came before Blair Witch.

Reactions: TP

Tofveve

Mar 10, 2013
The West

Yup this. Changed my life. Was never into horrors prior, then had nothing to do one afternoon in the summer and watched it by myself in an empty theatre. Just about crapped myself but was entertained like never before from beginning to end. That began my descent into horror movie madness. But the beginning of the movie is so fricking intense. Just amazing.

Tofveve

Mar 10, 2013
The West
But this is a tough one. I put Scream and Ravenous (a vastly underrated movie and just absolutely wonderful).

I guess I'd put The Blair Witch Project and The Silence of the Lambs as honorable mentions. Heck The Lost Highway too.

Denzel Washington's Fallen could also be on the list IMO.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad