• Blood and Black Lace (Bava, 1964)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The Last Man on Earth (1964)

• Wait Until Dark (Young, 1967)

• The Hour of the Wolf (Begrman, 1968)

• The Black Cat / Kuroneko (Shindo, 1968)

• Horrors of Malformed Men (Ishii, 1969)

• Spider Baby (or The Maddest Story Ever Told) (Hill, 1967)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Pranzo Oltranzista

Oct 18, 2017
The best films of the 2010s polls were a lot of fun, so I decided to launch my own series. One of the few fun things I did in life was to teach a horror film class for a few years, so let's get back to it.

This is my selection for the 60s, with a few spots left for add-ins (I probably forgot a few important ones). I'll accept suggestions for the 70s polls and for a global pre-60s poll, so that the German films can sneak in the last best horror film of all time poll.

My understanding of horror for these polls will be pretty large, sci-fi horror, psychological horror, everything is fair game.

Edit: it's really tough to select only 2.........

Reactions: Tofveve

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
I'm pretty ignorant about 60s horror, I start getting much more knowledgeable about them in the 70s. Rosemary's Baby is easily my favorite one I've seen though, and stands as one of my favorites of all time. I also love Night of the Living Dead. The only other ones I've seen are Psycho and Village of the Damned though.

Pranzo Oltranzista

Oct 18, 2017
I'm pretty ignorant about 60s horror, I start getting much more knowledgeable about them in the 70s. Rosemary's Baby is easily my favorite one I've seen though, and stands as one of my favorites of all time. I also love Night of the Living Dead. The only other ones I've seen are Psycho and Village of the Damned though.

Well, I almost voted the same as you did... Chose Repulsion over NOTLD, only because The Last Man On Earth is too much of an influence on the latter one (NOTLD did everything better, and is of much more importance, but doesn't feel quite as original as most of the others). Almost voted for Peeping Tom, a personal favorite. Most of these films are must-see still.

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
Well, I almost voted the same as you did... Chose Repulsion over NOTLD, only because The Last Man On Earth is too much of an influence on the latter one (NOTLD did everything better, and is of much more importance, but doesn't feel quite as original as most of the others). Almost voted for Peeping Tom, a personal favorite. Most of these films are must-see still.
Yeah, I'm looking forward to these because this should be good for recommendations for me. I'm always looking for more horror. Eyes Without a Face was on my October/Halloween movie list to watch but we never got around to it unfortunately.

Reactions: Violenza Domestica

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
Unless I am missing them on list you should probably add films like The Birds , Spider Baby and Kuroneko?

I went with NOTLD from that list over Psycho because I love NOTLD
I think anything by Hitchcock is a safe bet to include. I've seen The Birds and I've only seen 4 of the movies on this list so it's probably a good barometer for more general audiences.

JMCx4

Censorship is the Sincerest Form of Flattery
Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
I've got some home movies from holiday gatherings with my family that I'd like to nominate. Do I have to screen them to the selection committee first? They come with up-front warnings of violent scenes & explicit language.

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Went with Eyes without a Face and Repulsion

Would have voted for Eyes without a Face and John Frankenheimer's Seconds.

Suggestions for the 70s: Don't Look Now; The Bird with the Crystal Plumage; House (Hausu)

Pranzo Oltranzista

Oct 18, 2017
Unless I am missing them on list you should probably add films like The Birds , Spider Baby and Kuroneko?

Kuroneko was already there, I added the other two.

2001? I remember reading people walked out of theaters terrified while watching this Kubrick space story.

I don't think it would gather any vote as a horror film, so I took the liberty of skipping it. If anybody else feel it should be included, I'll add it.

Pranzo Oltranzista

Oct 18, 2017
Rosemary's Baby, NOTLD and Psycho leading the poll is no surprise for me, but Village of the Damned being just behind is a pretty big (and good) surprise, and The Haunting having zero vote is surprising too, such a great horror film, would have been another of my top choices.

Pranzo Oltranzista

Oct 18, 2017
Went with Eyes without a Face and Repulsion

Would have voted for Eyes without a Face and John Frankenheimer's Seconds.

Suggestions for the 70s: Don't Look Now; The Bird with the Crystal Plumage; House (Hausu)

Added Seconds if you want to change your vote.

Reactions: kihei

the squared circle

Aug 3, 2005
Maple Leaf Gardens
I’ve had Village of the damned and the sequel Children of the damned on my pvr for two years and still haven’t watched them. Now that they’ve been mentioned here, I’ll push them up the viewing list.
I started The Sorcerers (1967) tonight, with Boris Karloff. Not that great.

sr edler

gold is not reality
Mar 20, 2010
Not to blast The Birds, because it's a decent film and I like Hitchcock, but I can't personally feel what's so scary about animals on a mental suspense level, unless perhaps it's a million driver ants and you're tied up in the jungle with brown sugar.

If you're in a combat with a shark or a bear or a tiger or (dear god) a chimpanzee, especially in their own preferred habitats, you know you gonna die, and pretty fast too, so where's the suspense? But you also know you gonna die if someone drop you off in the middle of El Capitan and say "free solo this shit", but no one calls Free Solo a "horror movie".

sr edler

gold is not reality
Mar 20, 2010
Rosemary's Baby is brilliant in many ways, but the drugged out rape scene with the devil wearing an out-worn costume from some cheap ass improvisational theatre company, ruins a lot.

Chili

En boca cerrada no entran moscas
Jun 10, 2004
Night of the Living Dead was the first to come to mind.

Remember a couple off the beaten path: 'Little Shop of Horrors' the Nicholson version (Jack the dentist) and a Russ Meyer film, 'Faster p***ycat Kill Kill'.

Chili

En boca cerrada no entran moscas
Jun 10, 2004
The Little Shop of Horror has horror elements for sure, but the Meyer film? I'm a part-time fan of sleazy films, a huge fan of Radley Metzger, but I can't see how FPKK could be considered horror! :)
Not claiming to be an expert on classifying films (which seems subjective), just know that one gave me the creeps.

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012
I've grown to appreciate Hitchcock for what he is, but some parts of Psycho are really goofy sh-t. It's par the course for Hitchcock to have bad acting and a bunch of misogyny, but the overlong exposition at the end is unforgivable. But yeah, it's a classic.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad