Best Hockey TV Personalities

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Have to say that in general I think that TV hockey commentators are a sad sack.

We see it here in NJ with Deb, but it's not just the devils, NHL network have a bunch of stiffs, as does the NBC team. Pierre Maguire as one of the top hockey commentators is just brutal. Eddie O as the top in game color guy for the sport? I don't see him as an outright negative in the way I see Pierre, but being as though he brings so little in terms of personality he's not much of a positive either. Really makes me long for the days of John Davidson.

To some extent I see this lack of TV persona as curbing the growth of the sport. I can only watch so much NHL tonight, I want to watch, but these guys kill it. (and the on ice video cam post game interviews are brutal as well, certainly don't need to watch these awkward non informative interviews after every game highlight)

Now there are a few guys I really like.

Dano is prob my favorite guy, and sure some of that owes to him being Mr Devil, but I also think he is good at his job. I think he has some John Football Madden in his commentating. Not overly sophisticated, more loose and gruf, but still making the important points.

EJ Hradek. Smooth relaxed delivery and can just flow with the information. Have really only become familiar with him this season, but he's quickly become my favorite national analyst.

Doc. Undoubtedly the best play by play guy in the sport. A hockey wordsmith. A true craftsman.

njdevil26

I hate avocados
Dec 13, 2006
Clark, NJ
If it were up to me, I would have Kathryn Tappen host every broadcast. EJ Hradek to do analysis ala Dano style... and Gord Miller and Ray Ferraro doing play by play/colour.

Devils Trap

May 6, 2009
New Jersey
I think Weekes does a great job

Like him alot . Other then that the 2 who went to Fox Sports from TSN were great (They werent only Hockey guys but they knew their stuff)

SeidoN

#OGOC #2018 HFW Predictions Champ
Aug 8, 2012
AEF
steve_c_320x333.jpg

A1

njdevil26

I hate avocados
Dec 13, 2006
Clark, NJ

Like him alot . Other then that the 2 who went to Fox Sports from TSN were great (They werent only Hockey guys but they knew their stuff)

The Jay and Dan podcast is seriously the highlight of my week. I can't think of a duo that is funnier than those two.

Wingman77

Mar 16, 2010
Speaking for our broadcasts, which people put in more time analyzing than the actual games, people don't realize how dull other broadcasts around the league are

Chico and Steve are fine and provide a loose/fun atmosphere on the broadcasts

Wingman77

Mar 16, 2010
Christine Simpson was good in the one season she was here before Deb took over, she knew hockey and was born into a hockey family, her brother being Craig

billingtons ghost

Nov 29, 2010
If it were up to me, I would have Kathryn Tappen host every broadcast. EJ Hradek to do analysis ala Dano style... and Gord Miller and Ray Ferraro doing play by play/colour.

This. But only if the keep the camera on Kathryn the whole game.

The major network clowns are absolutely terrible. Why do I have to see JR and Milbury ever?

Uli Hiemer

Dr. Evil
Oct 19, 2011
Queens
The Canadian broadcasts are so much better it's not even funny. All of my favorite personalities are in Canada.
Real hockey talk.

Gord Miller
Chris Cuthbert

for play by play

Pierre is also so much more tolerable on TSN

Mike Johnson as color man is also fantastic. He actually analyzes the game...it's impressive.

Ed O is much better on Chicago broadcasts than national ones.

Loyal Lou

Oct 25, 2013
Rutherford
Personally I like Randy Hahn (play by play) and Drew Remenda (color) and Brodie Brazil (sideline) in San Jose. Great dynamic and hockey sense between the three.

njdevil26

I hate avocados
Dec 13, 2006
Clark, NJ
We need more actual personality. A lot of commentators are robots. There are a lot of great soccer play by play guys that do it right.

Holy hell that crowd noise...

Zelmo

Jun 18, 2012
Woodstock, GA
Gord Miller
Chris Cuthbert

Couldn't agree more. They are both great. I also love Joe Bowen who does the Leafs games. He's always having a good time.

The Dallas guys are fantastic.

KT is awesome. I wish she had Deb's job or was on NBC.

Doc - does anything need to be said? Best. Ever. IMO

The worst BY FAR are the Pit guys. They need to be Fargo'd (see: stuffed into a woodchipper). TB guys I'd shove in next.

PWiz30

I love to hockey!
Jan 3, 2013
I know I'm gonna get flamed for this but Grapes is awesome IMO. I don't agree with everything he says but the guy calls it like he sees it and doesn't worry about who he offends. We could use a few more people in the media who don't worry about keeping everything PC. Sometimes he's funny and occasionally he even makes some great points.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Speaking for our broadcasts, which people put in more time analyzing than the actual games, people don't realize how dull other broadcasts around the league are

Chico and Steve are fine and provide a loose/fun atmosphere on the broadcasts

Steve's delivery is excellent, and I think he does his homework, but he is a bit too staged in terms of persona, and everyonce in a while you can see a lack of a hockey back ground.

Chico I've grown to like more and more, he's a goof ball, but he's really into it, and despite not being able to see what is going on with the puck half the time, he breaks the game down pretty well.

Overall I think think they are a pretty good tandem.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010

I'm not so hot on either Tappen or Weekes. Both are pretty stiff imo. Fine Tappen is good looking, but good looking girls are easy to find on TV. Don't need em in my hockey.

tr83

Nope, still embarassed
Oct 14, 2013
Jersey Shore
Personally I like Randy Hahn (play by play) and Drew Remenda (color) and Brodie Brazil (sideline) in San Jose. Great dynamic and hockey sense between the three.

:handclap:

I've watched a few SJ games this year because I have Niemi, Pavelski, and Couture on my fantasy team and they are outstanding.

I really like Jim Hughson.

I'm going to get killed for this one, but I do like Sam Rosen. He describes the game well. I like Howie Rose in that he has NO problem ripping on the Isles (no homer there) as well as my Mets when he does radio.

I've listened to Kenny Albert on radio and he's fabulous

Though it would be a train wreck if his brother Marv called the games. Mar-TIN Bro-DEUR with the - uh - great saaaave

John Forsulnd in Carolina, Bennanati in Washington, Strader in Phoenix, and ole nasally Jeanneret

And of course Doc and Chico. Almost goes without mention

Captain Lou

Apr 2, 2004
:handclap:

I've watched a few SJ games this year because I have Niemi, Pavelski, and Couture on my fantasy team and they are outstanding.

I really like Jim Hughson.

I'm going to get killed for this one, but I do like Sam Rosen. He describes the game well. I like Howie Rose in that he has NO problem ripping on the Isles (no homer there) as well as my Mets when he does radio.

I've listened to Kenny Albert on radio and he's fabulous

Though it would be a train wreck if his brother Marv called the games. Mar-TIN Bro-DEUR with the - uh - great saaaave

John Forsulnd in Carolina, Bennanati in Washington, Strader in Phoenix, and ole nasally Jeanneret

And of course Doc and Chico. Almost goes without mention

Kenny Albert did a great job during our Flyers series in 2012. I know he does Rangers radio, but he would be a great replacement for Cangy.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad