Best GM move to "trade up" on Draft day?

Status
Not open for further replies.

trentmccleary

Mar 2, 2002
Alfie-Ville
Visit site
Can anyone think of any in the picks #5-25 range?
It seems like every year, a GM tells himself that "that's the guy, I need to pick him" and deals up. But I can't remember any... and thus can't figure out if they actually worked.

Chaos

And the winner is...
Sep 2, 2003
TX
Captain Conservative said:
Whatever Mcphee traded to dallas to nab Semin.

I believe it was the 26th pick(Martin Vagner :banghead: ) and the 43rd pick(Trevor Daley :handclap: ).

Meat Wave

Apr 4, 2003
Canada
Chaos said:
I believe it was the 26th pick(Martin Vagner :banghead: ) and the 43rd pick(Trevor Daley :handclap: ).

If I was a Dallas fan, I wouldn't get so excited about Daley. He does have the blazing speed and the shot to get PP time, but defensively, he has been Hamilton's worse defenceman from my point of view, along with Ron Hainsey. I thought Hainsey had a bad habit of making 2-3 bone headed plays per night... well he's got some stiff competition this season in Daley.

Roger's Pancreas*

Minnesota Norse Star said:
I liked when Burke moved up from 6th overall to 2nd in 1993 to nab Chris Pronger.
Depends what did he give up? I'm sure Pronger was worth it though

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Brian Burkes wheeling and dealing that got the Nucks the Sedins ..

That was some pretty crafty GMing .. Not on the players but on what it took to secure those 2 picks ...

looooob

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
trentmccleary said:
It seems like every year, a GM tells himself that "that's the guy, I need to pick him" and deals up. But I can't remember any... and thus can't figure out if they actually worked.

not sure if these are what you are asking for, but they've happened several times (recently) involving the Flames

2001. Phoenix trades Calgary a 2nd round pick to move up 2 or 3 spots (from, I think 13 to 11?). PHX grabs Sjostrom CGY takes Kobasew and Taratukhin. (Hamhuis and Hemsky still on the table when Sjostrom taken)

2002. Florida targets Taticek, and moves up one spot. Calgary takes Nystrom. I think Calgary got a mid round pick

2004. NYR trades up and gives CGY a 2nd round pick. NYR takes Korpikoski. CGY takes Chucko. Trades the 2nd pick and gets 2 thirds (Prust, Boyd)

McDonald19

Sep 9, 2003
California
trentmccleary said:

Ducks traded two second rounders in 2003 in order to draft the guy they saw huge upside in with another first round pick.

Corey Perry 28th overall.

Dallas picked:

Vojtech Polak 36th overall.
BJ Crombeen 54th overall.

Opinions on this trade now? I honestly don't know anything about Polak and Crombeen.

kmad

riot survivor
Jun 16, 2003
Vancouver
McDonald19 said:
It looked like Tampa got hosed there...then Fed helped them win that CUP.

It was a win for both teams. Pitkanen is obviously greater in value than Fedotenko, Stephan, and Spang combined, but Pitkanen wouldn't have helped Tampa win that cup. It's the same as the Iginla for Nieuwendyk, or Morrison for Mogilny. Every team in the deal comes out of the deal better.

PecaFan

Nov 16, 2002
Ottawa (Go 'Nucks)
The Messenger said:
Brian Burkes wheeling and dealing that got the Nucks the Sedins ..

That was some pretty crafty GMing .. Not on the players but on what it took to secure those 2 picks ...

It was *one* pick, not two. We already had the 3rd pick, and one guaranteed Sedin.

And it was not crafty, it was grandstanding, and bad GM'ing. After the initial move with Chicago, he had the 4th overall pick, and that was all that needed to be done, as Brendl and Stefan were who the top two teams wanted. But no, he had to grandstand, and move multiple picks around, simply wasting assets.

Ultimately, the price he paid for *one* Sedin:

Bryan McCabe, a first round draft pick (that was very possibly a top 5 pick in the Heatley Gaborik draft), and two third round picks.

He got lucky in that the Canucks improved enough to turn the 1st round pick given into #11 overall so it didn't turn into complete disaster, but still, four players for Henrik Sedin is *massive* overpaying.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Dallas has a tendency to try to trade a late first rounder into a couple of 2nd rounders. The Devils traded up with them in 1998:

New Jersey:
28th overall (C Scott Gomez)

Dallas:
39th overall (D John Erskine)
57th overall (RW Tyler Bouck)

Chaos

And the winner is...
Sep 2, 2003
TX
McDonald19 said:
Ducks traded two second rounders in 2003 in order to draft the guy they saw huge upside in with another first round pick.

Corey Perry 28th overall.

Dallas picked:

Vojtech Polak 36th overall.
BJ Crombeen 54th overall.

Opinions on this trade now? I honestly don't know anything about Polak and Crombeen.

If all the players pan out, Dallas probably wins this one. Crombeen is a grinder, while Polak has absolute ridiculous offensive upside(think Hejduk), but he's a long, long, long way from ever reaching it. Right now, I'd give the edge to Anaheim.

Chaos

And the winner is...
Sep 2, 2003
TX
Brodeur said:
Dallas has a tendency to try to trade a late first rounder into a couple of 2nd rounders. The Devils traded up with them in 1998:

New Jersey:
28th overall (C Scott Gomez)

Dallas:
39th overall (D John Erskine)
57th overall (RW Tyler Bouck)

Would certainly like to have that one back :speechles

KallioWeHardlyKnewYe

Hey! We won!
May 30, 2003
Rick Nash for Jay Bouwmeester, for Columbus.

Ended up being a straight-up trade because the incentive for Florida to do the deal never panned out (they won the lottery, so they didn't swap picks in 03). On top of that Fla. moved extra picks to Atlanta so they wouldn't pick Bouwmeester.

J-Bo is certainly going to be a great player, but the Jackets as a franchise truly needed a guy like Nash, who, so far is paying off major for the organization on and off the ice. They got him without giving up anything extra.

MacLean also moved two 3rds last year to move up and pick Pineault, which looks good so far.

Typically, MacLean prefers to trade down.

Hossa

Feb 27, 2002
Abroad
Visit site
If it counts as a "trade up", since it was at the draft, the Senators deal to acquire the second overall pick (and Chara) for Yashin, was a beautiful deal. That being said, it may not be the type of deal the original poster was asking for.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad