Best Games of the Decade (2011 - 2020)

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
As we approach Christmas, most of the major releases of 2020 have come and gone.

I figured now is as good a time as any to discuss the best games of the last 10 years. I propose the following rules, though they are obviously up for debate.

1) Any and all platforms. If one of your favorite games is on a cell phone, then it's every bit as valid as a game running a PC with a 3090.

2) No remasters, remakes or collections. I've put over 100 hours into SF3: Online Ediiton. I love it. Ultimately it's a re-release of an older game. I suggest we leave these to honorable mentions.

3) If multiple games in a franchise appear on your list, just list the franchise. Feel free to describe or specify your experience, but I don't think anybody wants to read a list with 6 pokemon games on it, or what have you.

4) Any criteria is valid. If a game had a 60 metacritic average and still hit you hard cause you played it at the right time, list it. These are the experiences that make these kind of discussions interesting. If you judge games by impact and innovation, cool. If you judge it by hours played, great. There is no right way to evaluate games.

5) The purpose of a discussion forum is... wait for it, discussion. If somebody lists a game that elicits a reaction from you, voice it. Respectfully. You are allowed to say 'Wow, I hated that game because....'. That is the fun of discussing games, no different than pulling up a stool at the bar and discussing who the best players are. Imagine the people you're chatting with are at you with the bar and you're clinking glasses as you chat.

Games are great. Talking with people about games is great because of our shared passion. So lets share, and discuss and try to enjoy the last few weeks of a pretty arduous year. Given all the challenges we've faced this year, I dare say being a fan of videogames has made some of the challenges easier for us than they otherwise might have been. I know quarantine has had a positive effect on my pile of shame! LOL

My personal top 10:

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
Grand Theft Auto V/GTA Online
Destiny/Destiny 2
Titanfall/Titanfall 2
The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
FTL
Far Cry 3
The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt
DOOM
Horizon: Zero Dawn

And honorable mentions....

Overwatch
XCOM: Enemy Unknown
Portal 2
Hitman/Hitman 2
Bloodbourne
Virtua Fighter 5 Final Showdown
Dishonored
The Last of Us
Bioshock Infinite
Super Mario 3D World
The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds
Diablo 3: Ultimate Evil Edition
Mario Kart 8/Deluxe
Papers, Please
Luftrausers
Undertale
Spelunky/Spelunky 2
Fez
Bastion
Journey
Mark of the Ninja
Brothers a Tale of Two Sons
Hotline Miami
Rogue Legacy
Super Mario Maker/ Super Mario Maker 2
Mortal Kombat [9]
Inside
Axiom Verge
Stardew Valley
The Witness
Super Mario Odyssey
Nier Automata
Cuphead
Nioh
Assassin's Creed Origins
Pyre
Prey
God of War
Celeste
Dead Cells
Into the Breach
Marvel's Spiderman/Miles Morales
The Messenger
Dragon Quest XI: Echoes of an Elusive Age
Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice
Disco Elysium
Baba is You
Control
Outer Wilds
Hades

JJ68

Oct 5, 2017
Red Dead Redemption 2.

No game has ever made me feel for the protagonist as much as this game did. The story was superb, writing and script outstanding. Music and score top notch. The open world is the best I've ever seen. 2 years into the game and I have still discovered new things about it. The pacing of the game is whatever I want it to be, and I love it. So much to explore, see and do. The minute detail of the enviornments and how the NPC's interact with you is remarkable. Only video game to ever give me enough of a gut punch that I felt emotional during the final missions. It just makes me want to find amazing scenic landscapes and take pictures of them. I never thought I'd be so content to sometimes do nothing at all but fish and hunt or travel about for hours at a time. But with this game, I do.

For sports I rate Fifa games highly, and I love me some sim racing, so give me GT Sport(even though I know it's an arcade/sim) and some ACC.

Other games I highly enjoyed:

Red dead redemption
God of War
The last of us Part 1 and 2
Shadow of War
Bloodborne
The witcher wild hunt

H3ckt1k

Jan 9, 2015
Persona 5
Fire emblem awakening
Assassins creed black flag
Gta 5

In that order with P5 being the best single player game I've ever played

Reactions: JaegerDice

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
1. Hollow Knight
2. Celeste
3. Bloodborne
4. Inside
5. Disco Elysium
6. Kentucky Route Zero
7. Downwell
8. Into the Breach
9. Sekiro
10. Portal 2

Last edited:

Mikeaveli

Sep 25, 2013
Edmonton, AB
My personal favourites:
Dark Souls Remastered
(PC) (I assume this counts because the original was still released this decade and is really bad on PC)
Resident Evil 2 (PC) (I also assume this counts because it is basically a new game)
Persona 5/Royal (PS4)
Divinity: Original Sin 2 (PC)
Portal 2 (PC)
Fire Emblem: Three Houses (Switch)
DOOM (PC)
Titanfall 2 (PC)
Civilization V (PC)
Call of Duty: Black Ops II Multiplayer (360/PC)

Popularly acclaimed games I find overrated:
Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
(Switch)
Super Mario Odyssey (Switch)
The Last Of Us (PS4)
The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim (PC)
Undertale (PC)
Marvel's Spider-Man (PS4)
God of War (PS4)

Tried playing Bloodborne, couldn't get into it because of the terrible performance. Will try it again once Sony inevitably comes out with a next gen patch, PC port, or remastered version.

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
That's actually tough. I guess in terms of a top 10 (in no particular order)

DOOM
Life is Strange
Overwatch
Control
Breath of the Wild
Borderlands 2
Link Between Worlds
Ghost of Tsushima
Batman: Arkham City
Monster Hunter: World

CartographerNo611

Oct 11, 2014
Red Dead 2

Witcher 3 (how the mighty have fallen)

Cities Skylines

Divinity Sin 2

Persona 5

Horizon Zero Dawn

Tales of Boderlands

God of War PS4

Ac Vahalla

Uncharted 3

Frankie Spankie

Feb 22, 2009
Dorchester, MA
Alphabetical order because I don't want to rank them. I'm sure I'm missing a ton.

Beat Saber

Bioshock Infinite

Deus Ex: Human Revolution

Half Life Alyx

The Messenger

Pavlov VR

Portal 2

Return of the Obra Dinn

Shovel Knight

The Stanley Parable

The Witcher 3

Voodoo Child

Jun 16, 2009
1. Witcher 3: Wild Hunt (Complete Edition)

2. God of War
3. Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild

4. Mass Effect 2
5. Red Dead Redemption 2

6. The Last of Us
7. Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
8. Horizon: Zero Dawn

9. Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception

10. Final Fantasy XII: The Zodiac Age

...Kinda filling up the roster past the top five there.

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
1. Dark Souls (2011)
2. Nier Automata (2017)
3. Bloodborne (2015)
4. Granblue Fantasy (2014)
5. Persona 5 / P5R (2017 / 2020*)
6. Disco Elysium (2019)
7. Destiny 1/2 (2014 / 2017)
8. DOOM (2016)
9. Sekiro (2019)
10. Outer Wilds (2019)

Kinda already spit-balled this list a year ago, with 2019 being the end of the "decade." Everything after the top 5 is just throwing darts, tbh. A lot of stuff that could be there.

Journey
Celeste
Into the Breach
Pathologic 2
Dead Cells
Fire Emblem: Three Houses
A Link Between Worlds
Xenoblade Chronicles 2 (still maybe the only Switch game I've finished)
Guilty Gear Xrd / Under Night In-Birth / Tekken 7
Tetris Effect
Rocket League
SOMA

Counting 2020 stuff: Granblue Fantasy: Versus, Genshin Impact, Hades, 13 Sentinels, Kentucky Route Zero.

Also I'll start playing Yakuza games eventually.

Last edited:

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012
Going strictly by games with which I had the most fun. Many had/have serious flaws, but I still enjoyed the hell out of them.

1.PUBG-Was never a PC gamer before this game came out and I loved it so much I built two different PCs in the time I was playing. Friends and I easily have over 1,000 hours in it. Has some MAJOR flaws, but it’s been by far my favorite BR released. Played Apex, Fortnite, H1Z1, Warzone etc. and none of them have come close to the level of enjoyment I got out of PUBG. Every game was different and we had so many hilarious moments and clutch wins. My favorite game ever.

2. Borderlands 2. I actually played this solo long after it released, but I beat it probably a dozen times and farmed for nearly every weapon. I loved everything about it, including the drop rates. While they were frustrating, it was so satisfying when the gun you wanted finally dropped.

3. Last of Us. First game I ever felt truly immersed in. I remember playing a tough stealth section late at night with the lights off and my PS4 crashed and I was totally disoriented. It took me a few seconds to realize I wasn’t actually in the game. It was like a super realistic dream.

4. NHL series: Truly awful games, but my friends and I have had endless hours of fun with it. In terms of quality it doesn’t belong anywhere near a top list, but it’s my list about the games I’ve enjoyed the most, and it’s up there.

5. Slay the Spire: What an awesome game. Every run feels truly unique and each character is extremely fun. Highly recommend.

6.Super Mario Odyssey. My wife and I played through this around release date and loved every minute of it. We would both look forward to having some free time so we could jump through that beautiful game.

7. Warframe: Another game I wish I could get my friends into. I played it on the PS4 and was hopelessly addicted for quite some time. They kinda lost me when they released the open world stuff and the fishing etc. I honestly enjoyed the indoor environments even though they got repetitive.

8. Call of Duty. Friends and I had some amazing times in multiplayer, Zombies, and Warzone over the decade. Have only played Zombies recently, but still having a blast with it.

9. Gems of War. Silly little Candy Crush type game, but as an RPG. Played on PC and mobile and loved both. It was grindy, but in a good way to me if that makes any sense. Building or receiving new troops was genuinely exciting. I logged in recently and was just inundated with new shit and I had no idea what was going on so I just took off, but I’m sure it’s still fun if I bothered to learn the new mechanics.

10. XCOM 2. I thoroughly enjoyed this game. Easy enough to pick up, but had a sizable learning curve to truly master it. Good times were had naming my soldiers after people I didn’t like and sending them into the depths of combat.

CanadianHockey

Smith - Alfie
Jul 3, 2009
Petawawa
twitter.com
Personally, it's The Last of Us

Other strong titles:
- Horizon Zero Dawn
- Cities Skylines
- Civ V (although released in 2010, the full experience requires expansions that were released in 2012 and 2013)
- Minecraft (full release was technically in 2011)
- PUBG
- Rocket League
- Mass Effect 2
- Portal 2

Admittedly, have not yet played some major titles including Witcher 3 and RDR2.

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
Red Dead 2 is easily the king for me. Others...

Sunset Overdrive - set the base for Insomniac to move onto Spiderman and I enjoyed this one a heck of a lot more than I did Spiderman.

Batman: Arkham City - An incredible sequel. I actually really liked Knight too but I’ll give it too City.

Celeste - Caught me off guard with how much I loved it.

Quantum Break - Love Remedy and their work, and actually enjoyed the TV stuff too.

Rocket League - who knew this little game had so much legs.

Forza Horizon 4 - I never play car games and yet have almost 100 hours in this one.

Watch Dogs 2 - I might be the lone defender of this series but I loved both, just preferred 2 more. Still need to get to Legion since they fixed the save bug.

Warzone - Not sure it would have made the list if we weren’t quarantined all year but a lot of time put into it this year.

H3ckt1k

Jan 9, 2015
Another game I completely forgot about would be the newest Eastside Hockey Manager. Nearing 30k hours on that game, best hockey sim I've found and it rarely gets stale imo.

Reactions: pukovnik

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad