• War for the Planet of the Apes
  • Logan
  • It
  • The Killing of the Sacred Deer
  • The Death of Stalin
  • The Square
  • Loveless
  • The Florida Project

You can cast 3 votes, and feel free to suggest movies that I should include in the 2018 poll!

Last edited:

Howard Beale

Apr 7, 2010
From the ones I've seen, I thought this was a very good year. My picks:

1. Lady Bird
2. The Square
3. Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri

HMs: The Shape of Water, Get Out, Blade Runner 2049,

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
The Killing of a Sacred Deer is top 2 or 3 of the decade for me. I have Phantom Thread and Blade Runner 2049 right up there as well, 2017 was such a great year IMO. Good Time isn't listed here but it's up there for me as well.

Non Oscar recommendations for 2018:

Burning, Annihilation, Hereditary, Shoplifters

Pranzo Oltranzista

Oct 18, 2017
I'd go:
1) A Ghost Story
2) The Killing of a Sacred Deer
3) Blade Runner 2049
4) Mother!
5) Let the Corpses Tan
6) You Were Never Really Here

nameless1

Apr 29, 2009
I picked Loveless, Lady Bird and The Killing of a Sacred Deer, but the choices available are really thin. Other than Loveless, I am not sure I want to put the latter two that high. I actually do not like that many films from this year.

I have to check back on what I watched, and I actually liked The Florida Project and A Fantastic Woman a lot more. Thus, my three choices would actually be Loveless, The Florida Project and A Fantastic Woman. At the End of the Tunnel and Directions are also up there for me.

Last edited:

discostu

Nov 12, 2002
Nomadville
Visit site
Get Out for me. Probably my favourite of the decade. I seem to love everything about the film. It's the balance of being a great popcorn film, while having such a smart script backed by great performances.

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Voted: Loveless
HM: The Death of Louis XIV; Blade Runner 2049; The Killing of a Sacred Deer

Suggested for 2018: Roma
Worth consideration: The Image Book; Ash Is the Purest White; Shoplifters

Howard Beale

Apr 7, 2010
I picked Loveless, Lady Bird and The Killing of a Sacred Deer, but the choices available are really thin. Other than Loveless, I am not sure I want to put the latter two that high. I actually do not like that many films from this year.

I have to check back on what I watched, and I actually liked The Florida Project and A Fantastic Woman a lot more. Thus, my three choices would actually be Loveless, The Florida Project and A Fantastic Woman. At the End of the Tunnel and Directions are also up there for me.
Hmm I should have had The Florida Project in there, that's an oversight on my part, so I've added it now.

Reactions: Zeppo

Savi

Dec 3, 2006
Bruges, Belgium
I thought 2017 was rather good, I can easily name 10 movies I loved very much, even though Blade Runner 2049 was far and away my favourite of the year. Lots of really good foreign films as well.

1. Blade Runner 2049 (Villeneuve, US)
2. Thelma (Trier, Norway)
3. Princesita (Rivas, Chile)
4. Mektoub, My Love (Part I) (Kechiche, France)
5. Wind River (Sheridan, US)
6. Sicilian Ghost Story (Grassadonia & Piazza, Italy)
7. Loveless (Zvyagintsev, Russia)
8. The Killing of Sacred Deer (Lanthimos, UK)
9. Columbus (Kogonada, US)
10. On Body and Soul (Enyedi, Hungary)

HM: T2 Trainspotting (Boyle, UK); Two Irenes (Meira, Brazil); Angels Wear White (Qu, China); Tigers Are Not Afraid (Lopez, Mexico)

nameless1

Apr 29, 2009
I thought 2017 was rather good, I can easily name 10 movies I loved very much, even though Blade Runner 2049 was far and away my favourite of the year. Lots of really good foreign films as well.

1. Blade Runner 2049 (Villeneuve, US)
2. Thelma (Trier, Norway)
3. Princesita (Rivas, Chile)
4. Mektoub, My Love (Part I) (Kechiche, France)
5. Wind River (Sheridan, US)
6. Sicilian Ghost Story (Grassadonia & Piazza, Italy)
7. Loveless (Zvyagintsev, Russia)
8. The Killing of Sacred Deer (Lanthimos, UK)
9. Columbus (Kogonada, US)
10. On Body and Soul (Enyedi, Hungary)

HM: T2 Trainspotting (Boyle, UK); Two Irenes (Meira, Brazil); Angels Wear White (Qu, China); Tigers Are Not Afraid (Lopez, Mexico)

The cinematography is Columbus is damn beautiful. Every shot is a postcard. I do not have it that high due to the rather abrupt ending, but it is one of the most memorable films I have seen in the last couple of years.

Mario Lemieux fan 66

Nov 2, 2012
  1. Coco
  2. the greatest showman
  3. Monsieur & Madame Adelman
  4. Get out
  5. Thelma
  6. On body and soul
  7. Logan
  8. The Shape of Water
  9. Dunkirk
  10. Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2
  11. The Big Sick
  12. Thor Ragnarök
  13. Blade Runner 2049
  14. Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri
  15. It
  16. Wind River
  17. I Tonya
  18. Colossal
  19. Ravenous ( Les affamés)
I added Your name to my 2016 best movies list.

Last edited:

nameless1

Apr 29, 2009
I cannot overlook the pedophilic nature of Call Me By Your Name. I am uncomfortable with the high praises for it, to be honest.

Savi

Dec 3, 2006
Bruges, Belgium
I cannot overlook the pedophilic nature of Call Me By Your Name. I am uncomfortable with the high praises for it, to be honest.

Really? I mean, Oliver was in his early twenties, and the Chalamet-character was like what, 17? It doesn't even come close to Lolita for example.
Also I feel like 'pedophile/pedophilic' tends to get overused for these 'situations'. It refers to (little) kids, not to young people on the verge of adulthood.

kingsholygrail

Predictable 1-2
Sponsor
Dec 21, 2006
Derpifornia
The Death of Stalin was the funniest movie I had seen in some time. I knew nothing about it and just gave it a watch a while back.

nameless1

Apr 29, 2009
Really? I mean, Oliver was in his early twenties, and the Chalamet-character was like what, 17? It doesn't even come close to Lolita for example.
Also I feel like 'pedophile/pedophilic' tends to get overused for these 'situations'. It refers to (little) kids, not to young people on the verge of adulthood.

Oliver is 24, and Elio is 17. That does not change the fact that Elio is still underage though, and there continues to be a difference in the power dynamics. In real life, people do get arrested for these type of relationships.

I will end my argument here though. If we continue, I feel like one of us will get into trouble.
:laugh:

Last edited:

Savi

Dec 3, 2006
Bruges, Belgium
In real life, people do get arrested for these type of relationships.

Not over here though where age of consent is 16, as it is in a lot of places in Europe I believe. I remember a couple of years ago a famous Belgian sports star had a relationship with a 16 year old girl, I think he 26 or 27 at the time. And most people were OK with it. I'm kinda used to it as well, thats why I wondered if that really were your thoughts on this movie. When you say power dynamics I think of teacher/student, boss/employee etc. Not 16/17 year olds who date people a couple of years older.

nameless1

Apr 29, 2009
Not over here though where age of consent is 16, as it is in a lot of places in Europe I believe. I remember a couple of years ago a famous Belgian sports star had a relationship with a 16 year old girl, I think he 26 or 27 at the time. And most people were OK with it. I'm kinda used to it as well, thats why I wondered if that really were your thoughts on this movie. When you say power dynamics I think of teacher/student, boss/employee etc. Not 16/17 year olds who date people a couple of years older.

Oliver is a graduate about to embark on an academic career. He is pretty much a teacher, so there is definitely a difference in power dynamics.

In Canada, the age of consent is also 16, while in the States it is anywhere between 16 to 18, which depends on the State. No matter how you look at it, the situation is so borderline, that I am deeply uncomfortable with the whole movie.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad