Best Current NHLer who Played their Overage Year of Junior

Dempsey

Mark it zero
Mar 1, 2002
Ladner, BC
Troy Brouwer.

He played the entire '05-06 season as a 20-year-old. He had only put up 47 points as a 19-year-old, and then broke out as an overager. You'd think he would be just another player who put up average numbers until their overage year and then barely crack the AHL, but somehow he immediately put up 41-38-79 in 66 AHL games as a rookie pro.

Placebo Effect

Mar 7, 2007
Your Mind
He didn't turn 20 till after the 04-05 season. He was 19.
This was somewhat answered already but not exactly...I'm brain farting right now but what is the cutoff date for determining overage year. Is it simply being 20 at the start of the season? Turning 20 before September 15th (NHL age date for 18 and 19 year olds)? Is it just by calendar year like WJC (ie. 1990 born players in 2010-11 season)?

Hossa

Feb 27, 2002
Abroad
Visit site
This was somewhat answered already but not exactly...I'm brain farting right now but what is the cutoff date for determining overage year. Is it simply being 20 at the start of the season? Turning 20 before September 15th (NHL age date for 18 and 19 year olds)? Is it just by calendar year like WJC (ie. 1990 born players in 2010-11 season)?

The CHL's 'year' goes by calendar, whereas the NHL draft's year cuts off at September 15th, which is why sometimes you see late birthdays play their overage year simply because they haven't been signed yet and their two-year window to be signed to an ELC runs into their overage season. Clowe is an example of that.

Both Brouwer and Callahan are good examples of what I assume this topic is trying to get at, which is what prospects played in the CHL when they were AHL-eligible. While that's true for guys like Burrows, he wasn't drafted and as such he really had no choice but to go back to junior. He could have tried his luck as a pro or in CIS, but different situation than Brouwer and Callahan. Corey Crawford is another guy like those two.

BabyBennettov

May 2, 2002
Under the Sunshine
Visit site
I think Pietrangelo played his whole junior career and had an awesome season this year as a rookie.

I may be mistaken, but concerning this thread, he has to be the best I can think of lately !

Brayden Schenn should also be a good one !

Hossa

Feb 27, 2002
Abroad
Visit site
I think Pietrangelo played his whole junior career and had an awesome season this year as a rookie.

I may be mistaken, but concerning this thread, he has to be the best I can think of lately !

Brayden Schenn should also be a good one !

Neither Pietro or Schenn played their overage year in junior.

Devilspuppet666

Dec 25, 2010
Calgary
Troy Brouwer.

He played the entire '05-06 season as a 20-year-old. He had only put up 47 points as a 19-year-old, and then broke out as an overager. You'd think he would be just another player who put up average numbers until their overage year and then barely crack the AHL, but somehow he immediately put up 41-38-79 in 66 AHL games as a rookie pro.

he was playing with ahl alstars tho... if he didnt he would have been anywhere from 40-50 points... which is still good for an ahl rookie

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad