Best Current NHLer who Played their Overage Year of Junior

Bjorn Le

Hobocop
May 17, 2010
Martinaise, Revachol
Apparently Callahan did (He won Overager of the Year)

If the WHL or QMJHL had Overager of the Year trophies you'd probably find a few more names, but they don't so people will have to go off memory.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Alex Burrows should be right near the top of the list.

Dustin Penner played his overage year in the MJHL.

Ryan Wilson played his overage year in the OHL.

CNS

A World Alone
May 24, 2008
Alex Burrows should be right near the top of the list.

Dustin Penner played his overage year in the MJHL.

Ryan Wilson played his overage year in the OHL.

OP said best, not worst. :sarcasm:

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
Logan Couture is up there.

EDIT: Mike Richards? Jeff Carter? Seabrook played 5 seasons in Lethbridge somehow...

Last edited:

ocarina

May 23, 2009
So Callahan was never an overager then, right?

No, he was. An 85', overage season was in 2005-06 as a 20/21 year old.

I remember there being some controversy when the Rangers were unable to sign him and he said he would go back for his overage year. Thankfully for us, it worked out for the best.

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
No, he was. An 85', overage season was in 2005-06 as a 20/21 year old.

I remember there being some controversy when the Rangers were unable to sign him and he said he would go back for his overage year. Thankfully for us, it worked out for the best.

Ok, thanks for clearing that up. I never realized Callahan was drafted as a 19 year old. I learned something today.

Pick Six

@Lafortune_FC
Jan 1, 2009
Mississauga
So Callahan was never an overager then, right?

No, he was. He was eligible to play in the OHL in the season of 01-02 but played in Buffalo JR. A instead. He was eligible to play in the OHL from 01 to 06.

As for Seabrook, he played a very short stint as a 15 year old. It's very common in the WHL, as they have their draft for 14/15 year olds instead of 15/16.

EDIT: Beaten to it.

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
No, he was. He was eligible to play in the OHL in the season of 01-02 but played in Buffalo JR. A instead. He was eligible to play in the OHL from 01 to 06.

As for Seabrook, he played a very short stint as a 15 year old. It's very common in the WHL, as they have their draft for 14/15 year olds instead of 15/16.

EDIT: Beaten to it.

I knew BS wasn't an overager but I found it interesting he played 5 seasons without being one. That must not happen very often.

Pick Six

@Lafortune_FC
Jan 1, 2009
Mississauga
I knew BS wasn't an overager but I found it interesting he played 5 seasons without being one. That must not happen very often.

Well he didn't exactly play a season, he just got called up or AP'ed for a few games. Kyle Beach also got called up as a 15 year old, then proceeded to play four more seasons. I'm sure there's many more that I can't think of off the top of my head, but it only really happens in the WHL (or with exceptional status).

ocarina

May 23, 2009
Well he didn't exactly play a season, he just got called up or AP'ed for a few games. Kyle Beach also got called up as a 15 year old, then proceeded to play four more seasons. I'm sure there's many more that I can't think of off the top of my head, but it only really happens in the WHL (or with exceptional status).

Just asking to be clear, a player playing only a few games in that instance would not be counted towards playing a season, right? If that was the case, we'd see quite a few guys from the WHL playing in the AHL as 19 year olds.

Pick Six

@Lafortune_FC
Jan 1, 2009
Mississauga
Just asking to be clear, a player playing only a few games in that instance would not be counted towards playing a season, right? If that was the case, we'd see quite a few guys from the WHL playing in the AHL as 19 year olds.

No it does not.

Though, when a player is granted exceptional status they are allowed to play in the AHL as a 19. For example Tavares could have played in the AHL during the 09-10 season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad