OT: Best Commentating Crew in Sens history

armani

High Jacques
Apr 8, 2005
Uranus
I have to say that this year's coverage of the Sens games (local or national) on TSN has provided with arguably the best commentating duos in the team's 25 years of coverage (with apology to VodkaChainSmokingUncleDenisPotvin). All of Jamie McLennan, Ray Ferraro, Gord Miller, and Chris Cuthbert have been stellar.

Which combo of play-by-play and colour commentary team do you prefer? I am having a tough time thinking of one, both Ferraro and McLennan are great (the latter has become an EK homer but who doesn't when they cover EK65 on a regular basis), while Gord Miller and Chris Cuthbert are two of the best in the business.

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
I have to say that this year's coverage of the Sens games (local or national) on TSN has provided with arguably the best commentating duos in the team's 25 years of coverage (with apology to VodkaChainSmokingUncleDenisPotvin). All of Jamie McLennan, Ray Ferraro, Gord Miller, and Chris Cuthbert have been stellar.

Which combo of play-by-play and colour commentary team do you prefer? I am having a tough time thinking of one, both Ferraro and McLennan are great (the latter has become an EK homer but who doesn't when they cover EK65 on a regular basis), while Gord Miller and Chris Cuthbert are two of the best in the business.

The best - Gord Miller & Ray Ferraro - never a bad call

The worst - Dean Brown & Gord Wilson - CALL THE GAME! No need for fake, personal stories about players while we hear the game in the background.

OgieO

May 17, 2006
Halifax
We really are spoiled, I love all of them. For me, I absolutely love Cuthbert calling Sens games. I get chills hearing the call on Stone's OT goal against Pitt every single time.

He's usually with McLennan - so I'll say those two though I really enjoy Ferarro and Miller as well.

I actually miss Potvin for comedic reasons but would never bump Ferarro or McLennan for him.

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
I liked Potvin, only because sometimes he would spill some sage hockey advice about the way a HHOF D thought the game.

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.PIERRE★
Jul 26, 2005
We truly are spoiled.

We usually get stuck with the "leftovers" compared to the Habs and Leafs, but because of the whole Rogers/Sportsnet takeover, the "leftovers" is now the brilliant TSN crew. Heck we even have the original HNIC theme. Thank god for that.

Although I do miss Potvin sometimes.

MaxTheLimit

Hockey ruins all my personal relationships
Jul 21, 2016
Ontario
All of Jamie McLennan, Ray Ferraro, Gord Miller, and Chris Cuthbert have been stellar.

Miller and Ferraro are my favs. Cuthbert is also quite enjoyable to listen to. I'm less into McLennan, as he's a bit more cheerleader homer than I like, but he's better than we've had for a long while.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Dean brown and Greg Millen bring back the best memories. For me thinking back they'll always be the voice of the Sens. But gord miller and ray Ferraro are objectively the best we've ever had.

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.PIERRE★
Jul 26, 2005

The worst - Dean Brown & Gord Wilson - CALL THE GAME! No need for fake, personal stories about players while we hear the game in the background.

Even more ridiculous now that they're on the radio. But then again, who listens to games on the radio nowadays anyways with all the online streaming options? Probably catering to the old people who still use radios.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Even more ridiculous now that they're on the radio. But then again, who listens to games on the radio nowadays anyways with all the online streaming options? Probably catering to the old people who still use radios.

If they're on tv I don't mind them sharing a story. I don't necessarily need them calling the game the whole time as I can see what's happening. On the radio it is annoying though.

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau

Not sure even the old people want to hear stories about the history of cattle farming in the US mid-west during a Sens power play.

Zorf

Apparently I'm entitled?
Jan 4, 2008
We've had some really good commentators. Gary Galley was awesome. I really liked Denis Potvin because his understanding of the game is at a whole different level from anyone else.

The TSN crews for Sens games are great. I prefer McLennan to Ferraro for the stupidest reason ever, and that reason is NHL16 and NHL17. I hear Ferraro all the time when I play the video game so I like hearing someone different when I watch Sens games.

Ferraro is still really good though. I don't have any complaints about him.

I feel bad for Gord Wilson. I have a soft spot for him from all of his time with the Sens, and I will give him my own homer points, but he just doesn't hold a candle to the other colour commentators that we have had. He knows the players really well, he loves this team with every fibre of his being, but he doesn't have the same level of insights into the game so his comments are always in the present, like complaining about a call or praising a good play, and not about how or why a play developed and what the player saw to make the decisions that lead to the play happening. you'll never hear Gord talk the way the other guys do about the grind of the season, the travel, playing hurt, learning systems, how systems are developed and put into practice on the ice, and that stuff is just such a huge bonus that we get from the other commentators.

DrunkUncleDenis

Condra Fan
Mar 27, 2012
I liked Potvin, only because sometimes he would spill some sage hockey advice about the way a HHOF D thought the game.

Potvin (my username inspiration) is the GOAT for all the wrong reasons :laugh:

I enjoy Miller a just a little bit more over Cuthbert, so I guess I'll go with that pairing. But it honestly doesn't matter, all 4 of the TSN guys are great.

DrunkUncleDenis

Condra Fan
Mar 27, 2012

There's this thing called being in a moving vehicle where streaming video isn't the best of choices :laugh:

I listen in the car, or while doing chores in the intermissions as well as pre-game and post-game. Dean is even insufferable in the pre-game, to the point where I just wait for his stupid wise cracks when they do the "view from the broadcast booth". And he always (unfortunately) delivers.

Like holy ****, the station just spent 5 minutes hyping the puck drop, and they go to that windbag up in the booth and he's making wise cracks about the opposition instead of taking the starting lineups seriously.

Shame, he used to be great back in the day, back when he acted professional. I also feel bad for Gord, he is a good local broadcaster who sometimes gets sucked into Dean's crap.

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.PIERRE★
Jul 26, 2005
There's this thing called being in a moving vehicle where streaming video isn't the best of choices :laugh:

I listen in the car, or while doing chores in the intermissions as well as pre-game and post-game. Dean is even insufferable in the pre-game, to the point where I just wait for his stupid wise cracks when they do the "view from the broadcast booth". And he always (unfortunately) delivers.

Like holy ****, the station just spent 5 minutes hyping the puck drop, and they go to that windbag up in the booth and he's making wise cracks about the opposition instead of taking the starting lineups seriously.

Shame, he used to be great back in the day, back when he acted professional. I also feel bad for Gord, he is a good local broadcaster who sometimes gets sucked into Dean's crap.

Fair point. I'm usually not driving when a game is on. :p

Step

It's been a tough year...
Nov 9, 2007
Ottawa
What I don't miss about Dean Brown:
  • "Passes it to nobody in particular"
  • "Trips over the blue line"
  • "Neil and (player x) are exchanging birthday wishes"
  • Constantly trying to be funny when he clearly is not
  • Not calling the game for long stretches because of some stupid story
  • "Oh my heavens!"

I also listen on the radio sometimes when I'm driving. We really have been spoiled with Cuthbert and Miller.

starling

Nov 7, 2010
Ottawa
Gotta admit I still can't distinguish Cuthbert from Miller. They are both great though.
Dean Brown is still better than anyone on Sportsnet, City or CBC.

armani

High Jacques
Apr 8, 2005
Uranus
Potvin (my username inspiration) is the GOAT for all the wrong reasons :laugh:

I enjoy Miller a just a little bit more over Cuthbert, so I guess I'll go with that pairing. But it honestly doesn't matter, all 4 of the TSN guys are great.

Right? It's hard to pick a duo, I would give edge to Ferraro and Miller duo but ever so slightly, they are all great. Ottawa is blessed this year with TSN's coverage, too bad in the playoffs we are gonna see Rogers and their worst reserved for Sens coverage, with potentially 3 or 4 Canadian teams in the mix.

As for Potvin, it wasn't just his drunk cigar smoking voice that attracts the fans. Dude is a legend and got away with saying whatever he wanted on air. He continues to be Erik Karlsson's biggest homer even on away broadcasts, lol. I really loved his insight into the game on any given play, and even the nostalgic stories he told that won't end while they went into commercial breaks..lol. Legend.

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau

Completely agree here. Dean WAS one of the best in the league, but unfortunately his ego seems to have gotten in the way. He seems way to full of himself. Being dropped from HNIC should have humbled him a little, but apparently not.

vdB

Dec 28, 2006
Toronto
I'm with Bionics. Dean Brown and Greg Millen.

I remember Greg Millen predicting a deep playoff run for the Sens VERY early in the 06-07 season. Always thought that was impressive.

Pierre from Orleans

May 9, 2007

Chris Cuthbert and Ferraro are an amazing duo. Also helps that they always gush over Karlsson and generally praise the Sens ;)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad