OT: Best Commentating Crew in Sens history

Zorf

Apparently I'm entitled?
Jan 4, 2008
I remember watching games on CBC (Sens not playing) and Dean would be sent to do those games. He didn't have ties to either team so he just called the game. He was really good when he did that. I think he does have a great voice for calling games.

I find it annoying that he flies off on long-winded tangents while the game is being played. Especially when it's radio. I was a bit more forgiving when it was TV because I would see what was happening, but on the radio it's a real **** off.

armani

High Jacques
Apr 8, 2005
Uranus
I'm with Bionics. Dean Brown and Greg Millen.

I remember Greg Millen predicting a deep playoff run for the Sens VERY early in the 06-07 season. Always thought that was impressive.

Predictable Millsie is one of the worst colour commentators in Sens boradcasting history. Period. It's true. Period. Like Millsie's every second word. For a former player, his insights are slightly better Gord Wilson's, which says a lot.

vdB

Dec 28, 2006
Toronto
Millsie has a great hockey voice. Dont remember him predicting stuff other than that one instance

18Hossa

And Grace, Too
Oct 12, 2012
You really can't go wrong with either of the TSN duos we get. Like most people I have a soft spot for Potvin as he was just fun lol

CanadianHockey

Smith - Alfie
Jul 3, 2009
Petawawa
twitter.com
I honestly much prefer Ferraro to McLennan. That's not to say McLennan is bad, just I find Ferraro usually has better insights.

Cuthbert and Miller are basically tied for best in the business at PxP.

Truly spoiled either way.

Nov 16, 2007
in your head
Dave Schreiber is the GOAT.

His call on Marchands low bridge on Boro was amazing: "Looks like Borowiecki hit a rut" *goes to commercial/comes back to Schreibs* "Sorry folks, it wasn't a rut, it was a rat."

BK201

Apr 11, 2011
We truly are spoiled.

We usually get stuck with the "leftovers" compared to the Habs and Leafs, but because of the whole Rogers/Sportsnet takeover, the "leftovers" is now the brilliant TSN crew. Heck we even have the original HNIC theme. Thank god for that.

Although I do miss Potvin sometimes.

watch the games against florida on the away feed :laugh: I'll flip them.

starling

Nov 7, 2010
Ottawa
You would think Garry Galley working between the benches would know that if a player jumps into his booth it's a too many men penalty huh.

Last edited:

DrEasy

Out rumptackling
Oct 3, 2010
Stützville
As long as it's not a Toronto or Montreal fan calling our game, i.e. basically the HNIT crew, I'm happy.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
I have to say that this year's coverage of the Sens games (local or national) on TSN has provided with arguably the best commentating duos in the team's 25 years of coverage (with apology to VodkaChainSmokingUncleDenisPotvin). All of Jamie McLennan, Ray Ferraro, Gord Miller, and Chris Cuthbert have been stellar.

Which combo of play-by-play and colour commentary team do you prefer? I am having a tough time thinking of one, both Ferraro and McLennan are great (the latter has become an EK homer but who doesn't when they cover EK65 on a regular basis), while Gord Miller and Chris Cuthbert are two of the best in the business.

Couldnt agree more, Cuthbert is the best in the business and Ferraro is probably holding it down in his field too. Its not like Miller and McLennan are bad either, the switch over to TSN has been amazing.

Love A.J on the post game show but yes I agree Dean Brown no thank you.

Jorge Garcia

Dec 9, 2004
Cuthbert is the best anywhere. Miller is right behind him, marred for me by a couple of mannerisms that irk me a bit. Ferraro is the best analyst I'm aware of, and McLennan is also superior at his job. Probably the strongest pair of crews in the business, although admittedly I haven't heard all the U.S. crews.
Dean and Gord are actually pretty good for a local radio duo. But damn it, Dean. You're on radio, you aren't Vin Scully and this isn't sleepy, slow-moving baseball. Please, no more musings and rambling anecdotes while the play goes on. Just describe what's going on and save the hot-stove stuff for intermission.

Pierre from Orleans

May 9, 2007
Cuthbert is the best anywhere. Miller is right behind him, marred for me by a couple of mannerisms that irk me a bit. Ferraro is the best analyst I'm aware of, and McLennan is also superior at his job. Probably the strongest pair of crews in the business, although admittedly I haven't heard all the U.S. crews.
Dean and Gord are actually pretty good for a local radio duo. But damn it, Dean. You're on radio, you aren't Vin Scully and this isn't sleepy, slow-moving baseball. Please, no more musings and rambling anecdotes while the play goes on. Just describe what's going on and save the hot-stove stuff for intermission.

The bold is pretty ironic isn't it?

CTC

Oct 9, 2014
I despise dean brown. I would listen to a lot of Tuesday and Thursday night games while at work and since we could not stream, so, TSN 1200 was the go to. It was amazing with Dave Schrieber who was moved when the Sportsnet takeover happened. Now you can catch him covering the 67's. Always an exciting playcaller but at the moment, I am very happy with the TSN crew with Chris Cuthbert, Ray Farraro and Miller! Makes for such a better viewing experience.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
I have a soft spot for Dean Brown and his witticisms.

But I get why other people may not like him.

As of right now, we're spoiled with the TSN regional telecasts. Can't say enough about Cuthbert, Ferraro and Miller.

I miss Denis Potvin's "That shot -SOUNDED- good..." anecdote that he'd truck out every few games or so.

Zorf

Apparently I'm entitled?
Jan 4, 2008
Watching the game last night really hit home how good the TSN guys are. Dave Randorf just grinds my gears. I don't know why.

Pierre from Orleans

May 9, 2007
I still enjoy Bob Cole calling the game. Has the best voice in NHL history. Aside from getting players names wrong and basically being a Cody Ceci for broadcasting whenever I listen to him he evokes nostalgia for me

CTC

Oct 9, 2014
I still enjoy Bob Cole calling the game. Has the best voice in NHL history. Aside from getting players names wrong and basically being a Cody Ceci for broadcasting whenever I listen to him he evokes nostalgia for me

Nostalgia is exactly how I feel. His calls always take me back to when I first started getting into hockey as a kid during all those leaf vs. sens playoff games.
For whatever reason when its April and June and I hear his voice, I think of the Stanley Cup.

Last edited:

Wallet Inspector

Jan 19, 2013
I don't care what anyone says, I loved the combination of Brown and Potvin. Very entertaining.

People give Potvin crap for being a goofball, but I feel he is good at analyzing player( particulary defensemen.)

MaxTheLimit

Hockey ruins all my personal relationships
Jul 21, 2016
Ontario

He has a great voice, and his excitement is infectious. It's a shame he is a shadow of his former self when it comes to seeing the game. He's sort of a crazy old man now who can't keep names straight and is constantly confused. It doesn't taint his accomplishments, but it does make me miss the old Bob Cole.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->