Best Coach of This Era #2

Who is the Next Best Coach of this Era?

• Total voters

Captain Bowie

Jan 18, 2012
Trotz is the sexy choice because of his recent success, but I think people forget that he’s only ever gotten past the 2nd round once
I'll repost my response to a similar argument made in the last thread:

"Look what he did with such mediocre forward talent in Nashville. The top scorers during his time there was David Legwand and Martin Erat. 1 80+ point season. ZERO 35+ goal seasons."

ESH

Jun 19, 2011
I'll repost my response to a similar argument made in the last thread:

"Look what he did with such mediocre forward talent in Nashville. The top scorers during his time there was David Legwand and Martin Erat. 1 80+ point season. ZERO 35+ goal seasons."

I did look at what he did. He won 2 playoff series in 15 seasons with Nashville. He coached some Nashville teams to some great regular seasons. The Predators had some great depth at forward and defense in 2006 and 2007, and then a top-notch goalie and 2 top-5 (maybe) defensemen for a few years.

I will say that I think Washington would have won the Cup in 2016 and 2017 if they had gotten past Pittsburgh, but they didn’t, and I think part of the reason is that Sullivan outcoached him.

SHANNYPLAN

Nov 24, 2016
Trotz
Babcock
Sutter
Hitchcock

Babcock would be ahead of Trotz if he wasn’t so damn stubborn

bambamcam4ever

107 and counting
Feb 16, 2012
Trotz is the sexy choice because of his recent success, but I think people forget that he’s only ever gotten past the 2nd round once
You're doing it wrong if you come to HF for insightful analysis. Recency bias rules.

Captain Bowie

Jan 18, 2012
Not for this specific poll, but when they are better than a good handful of the guys on here I feel like the point is still justified.
But it really doesn't matter, does it? I will add Julien the next round, and Boudreau after that, so they will be on the list by the time people will be wanting to vote for them.

Reactions: Meeqs

blinds

Jan 5, 2012
yeah its a joke that Julien is not on this list, wtf has Gallant done? Tortorella, Laviolette?? Absolute BS

I'd argue Tortorella and Lavi deserve consideration. Torts has a couple Jack Adams and a Cup. He's led some very successful teams. He seems to wear out his welcome but he's a good catalyst.

Lavi was a Jack Adams runner-up, has 3 Cup final appearances and one win.

They're both top tier coaches. Of course, I completely agree Julien deserves to be on the list, but so do these guys.

Gallant did something very impressive in Vegas last year but I wouldn't say that alone puts him in discussion for best coaches of this era.

Reactions: HabsMD97

Luigi Lemieux

Sep 26, 2003
I'd say Laviolette. He's a cup winner and he's survived changes in playstyle. He's coached contenders with Carolina, Philly, and now Nashville.

Trotz has been incredible the past two seasons but he's been past the second round once.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad