Best Coach of This Era #2

Who is the Next Best Coach of this Era?

• Total voters

Captain Bowie

Jan 18, 2012
define "era"

past 10 years? post lockout?
I get that 2 sentences is a lot to read, but it is in the second sentence of the OP.

I generally consider this era as post full-season lockout, excluding guys who coached after this point, but the majority of their games and success came before it (ie. Mike Keenan).

Canadian Game

Jul 18, 2005
Ontario
I can't justify Trotz as the "best coach of the era" at all. He just won the Stanley Cup for his first time, and the Islanders are doing well, so I think fans are still in the Trotz honeymoon faze. I think he's probably the best coach right now but for an era (post-full season lockout as described in OP), Trotz had never coached an NHL team to the conference finals, let alone the Stanley Cup finals, until last season. Internationally, he won a gold medal at the World Championships in 2003 (before the defined era) and a silver in '09.

I'd say Babcock since he's the main one that comes to my mind. Stanley Cup champ, Stanley Cup finalist, lost in the conference finals, and has only missed the playoffs once since 04-05. Also has a decorated international coaching resume. I recognize there could be someone better over the era but Babcock is the one that comes to mind for this poll.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
I'll repost my response to a similar argument made in the last thread:

"Look what he did with such mediocre forward talent in Nashville. The top scorers during his time there was David Legwand and Martin Erat. 1 80+ point season. ZERO 35+ goal seasons."
He didn't do anything??? Got them to the playoffs, I guess? Behind an amazing D core and a pretty good goalie.

I think he's a better coach now than he was back then.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad