Best Case Scenario For Rangers Might Happen

NYRANGERAMI*

The Rangers still need to win another game verse the Flyers. That's not a guarantee.

That being said, I still don't know why anyone would rather face Pittsburgh over Columbus. I would've rather had Columbus moving on for several reasons, the biggest reason being I think they'd be easier to beat than Pittsburgh.

Pitt is toast. Their Achilles heel is their goaltending. And it will be their ultimate demise...LGR!!!!!!!!!! all the way baby........

Nash Money

Sponsor
Jul 15, 2012
Talbot was fantastic this year. That said, do you guys actually think AV would bench a healthy Lundqvist in the playoffs?! I thought that notion started as tongue in cheek, but it continued to the point where I'm not so sure.

VirginiaBob

TradingSystemsGroup
A little history - Pittsburgh has faced the NYR in the playoffs 4 times, and has won each time. It seems that it doesn't matter how bad a team that the Pens throw out there and what generation, they always seem to have the Rangers number. Columbus would have been the better draw for the Rangers. Pens fans are rooting heavily for a Rangers victory - they do not want any part of the Flyers.

Ail

Based and Rangerspilled.
Nov 13, 2009
Boomerville
Talbot was fantastic this year. That said, do you guys actually think AV would bench a healthy Lundqvist in the playoffs?! I thought that notion started as tongue in cheek, but it continued to the point where I'm not so sure.

Yeah seriously. There is no way they start Talbot in MTL unless Henrik just outright **** the bed the first game there. I don't care how had he has been historically in MTL you don't bench Henrik until he gives you a reason to.

chosen

Aug 2, 2005
ASPG
Our top scorer is playing like ****, our goalie is playing like ****, McDonagh has one arm, and we're about to play another 7 game series. Not seeing the positives.

I could understand if someone said Hank hasn't been great, but when you say he's been ****, you join Snowblind in the bat **** crazy section.

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006

Dont know. Dont care right now.

Are we playing Montreal already?

Bullseyes

Aug 16, 2013
Our top scorer is playing like ****, our goalie is playing like ****, McDonagh has one arm, and we're about to play another 7 game series. Not seeing the positives.

He is? We must be watching different games. He's been fine.

Callagraves

Block shots
Jan 24, 2011
Ugh. The only thing worse than being ousted by the flyers would be getting knocked out by Pittsburgh.

...that said, beating both in the same run would be sublime.

Last edited:

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
A little history - Pittsburgh has faced the NYR in the playoffs 4 times, and has won each time. It seems that it doesn't matter how bad a team that the Pens throw out there and what generation, they always seem to have the Rangers number. Columbus would have been the better draw for the Rangers. Pens fans are rooting heavily for a Rangers victory - they do not want any part of the Flyers.

None of that means anything this time around. Different teams, different coaches, different game plans, etc etc etc. Franchise vs. franchise teams ago means absolutely nothing. It's superstition.

Pens fans rooting for the Rangers is funny to me. Why would a team with shaky D and goaltending itself, which relies first and foremost on it's offense, want to go up against McD, Girardi, Staal, and Hank? They could/would carve up the Philly D no problem IMO.

Bullseyes

Aug 16, 2013
None of that means anything this time around. Different teams, different coaches, different game plans, etc etc etc. Franchise vs. franchise teams ago means absolutely nothing. It's superstition.

Pens fans rooting for the Rangers is funny to me. Why would a team with shaky D and goaltending itself, which relies first and foremost on it's offense, want to go up against McD, Girardi, Staal, and Hank? They could/would carve up the Philly D no problem IMO.

They always play the Rangers better than the Flyers. Who knows if that'd happen next round, but its hard to deny looking at the past few seasons. They let the Flyers get under their skins a lot more then they let the Rangers.

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
Pitt is toast. Their Achilles heel is their goaltending. And it will be their ultimate demise...LGR!!!!!!!!!! all the way baby........

Fluery's playoff stats are absolutely demoralizing...

Season Age Tm Lg GP W L T/O GA SA SV SV% GAA SO MIN GA%- GSAA G A PTS PIM
2009-10 25 PIT NHL 13 7 6 0 37 339 302 .891 2.78 1 798 0 0 0 2
2010-11 26 PIT NHL 7 3 4 17 168 151 .899 2.52 1 405 0 0 0 0
2011-12 27 PIT NHL 6 2 4 26 157 131 .834 4.63 0 337 0 1 1 0
2012-13 28 PIT NHL 5 2 2 17 145 128 .883 3.52 1 290 0 1 1 0

The bolded is his save percentage over the last 4 seasons...

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
They always play the Rangers better than the Flyers. Who knows if that'd happen next round, but its hard to deny looking at the past few seasons. They let the Flyers get under their skins a lot more then they let the Rangers.

Again, different teams entirely. Torts' Rangers are a stretch to compare to AV's Rangers just based on team philosophy and game plan alone. Taking into account everything that changes year-to-year across three teams, two of which have new coaches this year, is just impossible. It's more or less superstition based on jersey color.

Look what MSL alone is doing to the Flyers with his skill. Crosby and Malkin have the same high-end skill, in some aspects, they're far superior even. They would absolutely kill this Flyers defense.

For Pitt, their main concern should be scoring goals, as their D and goalie obviously leave a lot to be desired in the post season. Their offense can and will take advantage of weaknesses in other teams. If I were them, I'd rather bank on Crosby and Malkin destroying a D that played Hall Gill in 2014 than one that has arguably 3 number 1 defenseman in front of an all-world goalie.

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT

Of course they do.

The Rangers do not play that same agitating style the Flyers play.

hope no one confuses what I am saying here.

No team in the Playoffs is an easy out. Each team offers their own unique set of challenges. The Flyers you need to maintain composure and not give them PP's which they are dangerous on. When the Flyers fail to get under the skin of their opponent they become a little unsure about the next step and either do not play well, or they go overboard and they start taking the penalties.

Being up in this series with 2 games to go plays in our favor for the simple fact that they NOW have to focus on just playing hockey. If the Rangers do not pull a disappearing act this evening, they should be fine.

As for Pitt, they offer their own set of unique challenges. Namely Sid and Gino. Sending that duo out on back to back shifts is a tough task to manager. However, with this team, they are not as likely to pull the same crap that the Flyers try, nor are they known for being a heavy team that wears down opposing teams which I think actually benefits the Rangers.

No knock on Callahan here, but I think having a talented player such as MSL here instead of Callahan provides the Rangers with something the Pens have not seen with us.

We edged out Pitt on the season with a 2-1-1 record, however, the GF/GA differential is just 1

Neither team took all that many penalties during the games and with an improved talent level, the Rangers facing the Pens I feel is a solid match up.

We could still lose. Not saying we are a lock at all. Just that I think playing in a series that allows for the teams overall skill to be impactful is going to be better than having to deal with a heavy team such as Columbus looking to physically wear us down for 12 to 21+ periods of hockey.

And should be be fortunate enough to get past Pitt, not having to deal with a physical team such as Columbus I think would provide us fresher legs against a very heavy Bruins team.

Jumping the gun I get it. I never said we WOULD win, just that the match up is favorable and why.

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006

Indeed.

If the Rangers make it to the next round, I an convinced that the question at the forefront of their minds will be "Can we overcome the obstacles vs. the Penguins that the 1989 Rangers couldnt?"

stan the caddy

Sep 27, 2011
Fluery's playoff stats are absolutely demoralizing...

Season Age Tm Lg GP W L T/O GA SA SV SV% GAA SO MIN GA%- GSAA G A PTS PIM
2009-10 25 PIT NHL 13 7 6 0 37 339 302 .891 2.78 1 798 0 0 0 2
2010-11 26 PIT NHL 7 3 4 17 168 151 .899 2.52 1 405 0 0 0 0
2011-12 27 PIT NHL 6 2 4 26 157 131 .834 4.63 0 337 0 1 1 0
2012-13 28 PIT NHL 5 2 2 17 145 128 .883 3.52 1 290 0 1 1 0

The bolded is his save percentage over the last 4 seasons...

Fleury's a complete mess in the playoffs but nobody drives up save percentages like the NY Rangers.

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ
Indeed.

If the Rangers make it to the next round, I an convinced that the question at the forefront of their minds will be "Can we overcome the obstacles vs. the Penguins that the 1989 Rangers couldnt?"

Well, we no longer have Espo behind the bench, so, we've got that going for us.

AHB*

Indeed.

Much easier then if we have to play the Habs or Boston after that. Imagine, "Can we overcome those obstacles vs. the Habs the 1937 Rangers Couldn't?"

The misery.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad