Best Case Scenario For Rangers Might Happen

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
Not really sure why the Rangers fanbase as a whole, is always on the lookout for the chips falling correctly with regards to other teams. Best scenario for what MIGHT happen IF....

Shouldn't a strong team just be able to win and only concern themselves with themselves and not hope for breaks of what is happening for other teams?

Don't all fans of all teams of all sports do that? It's just looking ahead and thinking/talking about possible future scenarios. People tend to think of scenarios that would be good for their team because they want their team to win.

And yes, a strong team should be able to do that. Who says the Rangers themselves aren't doing that? Do you think they're sitting around in the locker room dreaming up easiest case playoff scenarios for themselves because some fans on here are doing that? I'd be pretty surprised.

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
We haven't 'beaten everyone', we lost to Boston last playoffs. Ok, maybe Montreal beats them; not exactly a dream matchup either.

FOD

Jul 26, 2011
There is a difference between wanting a favorable match up and needing one to win. And why would fans not want a favorable match up?

I doubt there was a Ranger fan in existence who wasn't elated to see Pitt get upset by Washington in '94.

Your gripes get more bizarre as the season goes on.

Totally forgot about Pitt losing to Washington. Yeah, that was awesome.

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
There is a difference between wanting a favorable match up and needing one to win. And why would fans not want a favorable match up?

I doubt there was a Ranger fan in existence who wasn't elated to see Pitt get upset by Washington in '94.

Your gripes get more bizarre as the season goes on.

for me that year, I didn't care who we played in the playoffs.

There was not a team in the league I felt we could not beat.

The 94 Rangers were blazing fast, talented, physical and defensively sound.

Yeah we became a slower more predictable team to play against at the deadline, but to me, I had no concerns about who we played.

Teams were more concerned about playing the Rangers than the Rangers were about playing anyone else.

That's what this team is missing now.

If I'm an opposing player on any team except for Philly, I have no fear of the Rangers.

There's really no aspect of the Rangers team that has shown capable dominating a series.

With the individuals we have, one would think the PP would carry the team...NOPE

McD, Girardi and Staal, of course they are going to be lights out defensively...NOPE

Lundqvist in goal, surely HE can steal a round...NOPE

The Rangers are a decent team. In my opinion decent teams are fodder for legit contenders

nikonsniper*

With the individuals we have, one would think the PP would carry the team...NOPE

McD, Girardi and Staal, of course they are going to be lights out defensively...NOPE

Agree with you on the first, not on the second two. Lundqvist+Staal, Girardi, McD are so far 1.81GA in 5 games. That should get you a win 80% of the time. Thats as lights-out as you need any D/G to be for you to win a cup.

That Quartet routinely silences guys like Crosby, Ovechkin, Giroux, etc.

I know some people dont like the "type" of goals that the rangers give up sometimes, but who give a crap? Teams dont get extra points for style.

Yeah, it sucks to see the Pascal Dupuis of the world get brain-fart resultant goals against us, but again, that matters little when taken over the average of the playoffs.

So dont worry about the G/D, worry about the heart and the drive of the scorers. That is our only real problem.

McRanger

Sponsor
Jul 20, 2005
for me that year, I didn't care who we played in the playoffs.

There was not a team in the league I felt we could not beat.

The 94 Rangers were blazing fast, talented, physical and defensively sound.

Yeah we became a slower more predictable team to play against at the deadline, but to me, I had no concerns about who we played.

Teams were more concerned about playing the Rangers than the Rangers were about playing anyone else.

That's what this team is missing now.

If I'm an opposing player on any team except for Philly, I have no fear of the Rangers.

There's really no aspect of the Rangers team that has shown capable dominating a series.

The Rangers are a decent team. In my opinion decent teams are fodder for legit contenders

If you thought the Rangers and their fans, with the 54 year cup drought and all the baggage that came with it, didn't need and wouldn't take all the help they could get... then congrats you're literally the only one in the world.

Like I said, there is a world of difference between needing and wanting a good match up. Maybe this team needs favorable match ups to win. That is beside the point. Fans always want favorable match ups. Or at least those who aren't complete fools. To gripe about it is idiotic.

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
If you thought the Rangers and their fans, with the 54 year cup drought and all the baggage that came with it, didn't need and wouldn't take all the help they could get... then congrats you're literally the only one in the world.

Like I said, there is a world of difference between needing and wanting a good match up. Maybe this team needs favorable match ups to win. That is beside the point. Fans always want favorable match ups. Or at least those who aren't complete fools. To gripe about it is idiotic.

To the extent that I was in that group of fans that were waiting for something bad to happen, yes. I was there with every other Rangers fan.

Drought aside, I didn't fear any team in the league. I feared the Hockey Gods more than I feared Pittsburgh, or the Debbies or any team.

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
Agree with you on the first, not on the second two. Lundqvist+Staal, Girardi, McD are so far 1.81GA in 5 games. That should get you a win 80% of the time. Thats as lights-out as you need any D/G to be for you to win a cup.

That Quartet routinely silences guys like Crosby, Ovechkin, Giroux, etc.

I know some people dont like the "type" of goals that the rangers give up sometimes, but who give a crap? Teams dont get extra points for style.

Yeah, it sucks to see the Pascal Dupuis of the world get brain-fart resultant goals against us, but again, that matters little when taken over the average of the playoffs.

So dont worry about the G/D, worry about the heart and the drive of the scorers. That is our only real problem.

What I mean is getting out played and having our goalie steal a series.

Fortunately we have not been in that situation and I hope not to be.

As for the D, you are correct. They have done a better job than I gave them credit for.

stan the caddy

Sep 27, 2011
prefer Pitt over columbus.

I think people are making a mistake underrating Pitt. They might not be playing their best hockey but over the years they've had their way with the Rangers. They won the division for a reason, they can score a ton of goals, and they have two of the best players in the world.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
The worst case scenario is going to happen. They'll have to go through both Pitt and Boston.

This is NOT the problem.

I'm not saying anything is automatic.
But we have decent chances here.

However, in SCF we have less than decent chance vs Hawks, who we played well vs., and barring last minute injury little chance vs Sharks and virtually no chance vs Ducks.

Worth it only to get close and lose our 1st, a step backward?
nope.

What's done is done.
Kick philly ass.
miss the ECF keep the pick is least damaging long term scenario at this point.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
columbus would be a "sexy" matchup

history with nash trade
john davidson former ranger annoucer
dubinsky facing old team
bad blood between nash and former mates

Dubinsky, Anisimov, Tyutin vs. Nash, Stralman, Brassard, J. Moore, Dorsett

Would be great

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
I think people are making a mistake underrating Pitt. They might not be playing their best hockey but over the years they've had their way with the Rangers. They won the division for a reason, they can score a ton of goals, and they have two of the best players in the world.

It's not that I am underestimating the pens.

I just think that the Rangers will have less of a physical match up with Pitt allowing our skill guys a better chance to make an impact.

mas0764

Jul 16, 2005
We haven't 'beaten everyone', we lost to Boston last playoffs. Ok, maybe Montreal beats them; not exactly a dream matchup either.

I'll take Montreal over Boston all day long though. I don't think we can beat Boston in a 7 game series, it's that simple.

Montreal we just have to solve their goalie, otherwise we're the better team.

Bullseyes

Aug 16, 2013
The Rangers still need to win another game verse the Flyers. That's not a guarantee.

That being said, I still don't know why anyone would rather face Pittsburgh over Columbus. I would've rather had Columbus moving on for several reasons, the biggest reason being I think they'd be easier to beat than Pittsburgh.

Ex Officer Friendly

Got Nothin To Say
Apr 27, 2012
New York, NY
Seems strange. Has a team ever used their starter in the first 2 rounds, the backup in the CF, then back to the starter in the SCF?

AV isn't afraid to throw the back up in if he feels it will help the team... He did it with Schneider when Vancouver was in LA (Canucks still lost but Schneider won his game and LA won the cup) he also did it against the sharks I believe... Along with one of the Chicago series I wanna say 2010. All I know is he was in 10 playoff games as a Canuck the circumstances behind it I'm not sure but I know AV is willing to play the backup in the playoffs

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad