Best Canadian Junior Hockey Rivarlies

sonic92

Mar 5, 2020
Peace River, AB
As someone who's followed the Calgary Hitmen in the WHL for a number of years now, they have some pretty good rivalries with the other Alberta teams. They also had a fairly decent one with Kootenay, but the Ice moving to Winnipeg killed that one. Lethbridge-Medicine Hat is another good rivalry.

At the Junior A level, I used to live in Bonnyville and the Pontiacs of the AJHL have some pretty strong ones with Lloydminster, Fort McMurray and Sherwood Park.

tank44

Feb 1, 2012
Seattle, WA
Seattle Thunderbirds vs Portland Winterhawks - chants for Portland sucks occur at all T-birds games.

Seattle vs Everett is pretty good too but not quite as fierce

Lucky Luke

Jun 17, 2006
In the QMJHL:

Moncton Wildcats vs Saint John Sea Dogs
Halifax Mooseheads vs Cape Breton Eagles
Chicoutimi Sagueneens vs Quebec Remparts
Drummondville Voltigeurs vs Victoriaville Tigres
Val d'Or Foreurs vs Rouyn-Noranda Huskies
Ottawa 67's vs Gatineau Olympiques (when cross-league games are scheduled)

canadiantarheel

Sep 19, 2011
In the OHL it has to be
Flint Firebirds vs. Saginaw Spirit
Guelph Storm vs. Kitchener Rangers
Kitchener Rangers vs. London Knights
London Knights vs. Windsor Spitfires
Oshawa Generals vs. Peterborough Petes
Sarnia Sting vs. Windsor Spitfires
Sault Ste. Marie Greyhounds vs. Sudbury Wolves

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
Ottawa Kingston used to be a great rivalry not only from a player standpoint but also from fans

Not sure it is as much now.

ErikaPEI

Jul 22, 2022
Halifax Mooseheads vs Charlottetown Islanders has really intensified over the last 5 seasons. They hate each other.

DethOfDragnz

Sep 22, 2010
Edmonton, AB
A little off topic but talking about rivalries in junior hockey, with Russia players now being forced into military service, I think it would be a good idea to change the Subway Series of Canada vs Russia, to Canada vs USA, there are quite a few American players in the CHL and maybe they could even get some players from USHL. The u18 and the Hlinka/Gretzky cup is a bit of a let down because you don't see the best Canada and USA rosters for both tournaments at the same time. This is something the CHL could have great success with I think.

Reactions: peconcan

Ferda11

Feb 16, 2016
Sarnia and London used to be great. Rivalries as a whole have really died off. The game is not as intense and the type of player who would create that excitement/physicality of a rivalry, does not exist in todays game hardly.

Reactions: aresknights

aresknights

Dec 27, 2009
london
Sarnia and London used to be great. Rivalries as a whole have really died off. The game is not as intense and the type of player who would create that excitement/physicality of a rivalry, does not exist in todays game hardly.

I agree it has tailed off greatly. Need 2 good teams, a heathly dislike......the game to tame now for big rivalries. Not saying fir better or worse just what it is.
Sarnia/London in 70s/80s
Kitchener/London /Guelph early 2000s
London/Windsor late 2000s
All were great to watch.

Reactions: Ferda11

HUSH10

Sep 16, 2019
I still personally think the best rivalry (or one of the best) in all candian junior hockey is Oshawa Generals Vs Peterborough Petes.

Hammer9001

Apr 1, 2015
Hamilton
I wasn't there for it, but a bit of Belleville/Kingston carried over to the Bulldogs although that has weened in recent years.

I think there is a lot of potential for Bulldogs/Ice Dogs if the league ever opts to put the Bulldogs into Central, as usually those games are bangers, but I don't think the Bulldogs really have a true rival.

London/Kitchener and Peterborough/Oshawa I would say are the OHL's biggest.

LordStanley1967

Apr 5, 2020
London/Kitchener and Peterborough/Oshawa I would say are the OHL's biggest i would agree.
it would be nice for all 4 of these team be in the top of the standings -so the looses steam

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad