Best Canadian Defenseman Right Now

Who is the best Canadian defenseman right now?

• Total voters

alasania94

Sep 28, 2017
Blows my mind
Download-Image-2.png
Was wondering where you pull this information from??? website?

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I don’t see this as so clear-cut. I would’ve said a few years ago that it was Doughty AINEC, but he’s declined some. I don’t know if it’s as much as some state and I think Pietrangelo’s getting slightly overrated in the last year because of team success. Doughty edges this for me, but I think there’s going to be a changing of the guard with the best Canadian defensemen in the upcoming years.

CatchyTune

JOHN TAVARES IS A MAPLE LEAF
Jan 8, 2016
Ontario
:huh:
people are actually voting doughty

the pole says “right now” Doughty is playing like dog $!/t right now.

anyone saying doughty doesnt watch ice hockey

Doughty is surviving off reputation right now.

I don’t know if he’ll bounce back, or not, but he’s taken a definite step back in my eyes. I’d have most of the players on this list ahead of him.

100% agree. Have no idea how people still think Doughty is good. People are stuck in 2013.

Not sure who is worse between Burns and Doughty but both are the clear bottom 2.

CatchyTune

Jan 8, 2016
Ontario
Morrissey ainec

...what?

Seriously....who voted Morgan Reilly....seriously....

If Reilly is Canada's best
....we might as well play in relegation rounds in the Olympics.

He definitely isnt the best, but out of all the options why pick on him? Doughty is much worse and has 5x as many votes, Chabot Weber and Morrissey are all in the same boat as Rielly and have the same/more votes than him. Not trying to get in a pissing match of who is better, just confused how you picked Rielly's name out of everyone who has votes.

Mickey Marner

Jul 9, 2014
Dystopia
Pietrangelo has been the best, over the last few seasons, but I still think Doughty is the better player. It just seems like Doughty's passion has taken a dip, since the Kings fell off, and he's been mailing it in. That said, I voted Pietrangelo, since that's just speculation and the results speak for themselves.

Agreed, nothing happened to Doughty, he just has no f***s to give. Reminds me of Washington-era Jagr. But you can't get credit for a level of play you're not bringing to the table.

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
Doughty has been phoning it in on a bad team, but he doesnt appear to have actually lost much physically at age 30. He probably doesn't deserve to get votes based on how he's performed, but would anyone really be shocked if he were to be taken in a best on best and end up being the best defenseman on Team Canada?

I agree he probably hasn't lost it physcially and is most likely more than capable.

but he is most definitely mailing it in. He had a couple threads this year on plays where he just changed while a scoring chance was happening against. He does not care, and probably won't until they are competitive again.
Even if you account for being on a bad team his underlying numbers are still terrible.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
100% agree. Have no idea how people still think Doughty is good. People are stuck in 2013.

Not sure who is worse between Burns and Doughty but both are the clear bottom 2.

I'm not sure why people always want to go the other way with hyperbole in response to people picking players who haven't performed. Doughty was still elite in terms of performance as recently as 17-18. So it's only been 2 seasons of poor play, at age 29 and 30, on a junk team where he has no motivation. It's not that crazy to think he would still perform at an elite level if he were motivated.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
I agree he probably hasn't lost it physcially and is most likely more than capable.

but he is most definitely mailing it in. He had a couple threads this year on plays where he just changed while a scoring chance was happening against. He does not care, and probably won't until they are competitive again.
Even if you account for being on a bad team his underlying numbers are still terrible.

Yea, there isn't really an excuse for his play. It's not just because the team is bad obviously, he's playing poorly on his own. If the question is about who has been the best recently, he certainly doesn't deserve to get any votes. But I think those voting for him are probably looking at it in terms of if a best on best tournament was being played, who would likely perform the best for Canada. Still probably a stretch to think he's the most likely to do it, but I can see the argument for it.

CatchyTune

Jan 8, 2016
Ontario
I'm not sure why people always want to go the other way with hyperbole in response to people picking players who haven't performed. Doughty was still elite in terms of performance as recently as 17-18. So it's only been 2 seasons of poor play, at age 29 and 30, on a junk team where he has no motivation. It's not that crazy to think he would still perform at an elite level if he were motivated.
Back in 17-18 guys like Makar, Hamilton, Morrissey, Rielly, and Chabot wouldnt even be on a poll like this.

The poll literally says "Best Canadian defenceman right now", I dont care how good he was in 17-18.

Why is "motivation" exclusive to Doughty because he is on a bad team? Chabot and Burns are on worse teams than Doughty.

Reactions: Mac Attack

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
Yeah, but he has been pretty bad this year.

He was on pace for 42 points on a team that was struggling to score, while still posting strong underlying metrics (relGF% +13, relxGF% +6). He was still good this year, but the team around him was mediocre and everyone was criticized for down years in relation to last year.

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
I remember my 1st beer. Come on, man.

Here’s a few pairs. I think I’d have to give the edge to the US.

Canada:

Theodore - Pietrangelo
Giordano - Burns
Chabot - Makar
Morrissey - Doughty
Letang - Hamilton
Pulock - Parayko

US:

Slavin - Jones
Hughes - McAvoy
Werenski - Carlson
Suter - Fox
Krug - Trouba
DeAngelo - Petry

Mighty Makar

I hate this fu*ken team
May 24, 2016

Canada:

Theodore - Pietrangelo
Giordano - Burns
Chabot - Makar
Morrissey - Doughty
Letang - Hamilton
Pulock - Parayko

US:

Slavin - Jones
Hughes - McAvoy
Werenski - Carlson
Suter - Fox
Krug - Trouba
DeAngelo - Petry
We have way more depth than the Americans. There’s only 1 American who would make Team Canada in a best on best tournament and that’s Jones.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver

Canada:

Theodore - Pietrangelo
Giordano - Burns
Chabot - Makar
Morrissey - Doughty
Letang - Hamilton
Pulock - Parayko

US:

Slavin - Jones
Hughes - McAvoy
Werenski - Carlson
Suter - Fox
Krug - Trouba
DeAngelo - Petry

I think you could make a case for the US having a better top 10-12, but I wouldn't say it's particularly noticeable. And Canada keeps going with quality guys: Ellis, Rielly, Spurgeon, etc

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad