Best Canadian Defenseman Right Now

Who is the best Canadian defenseman right now?

• Total voters

nowhereman

Jan 24, 2010
Los Angeles
Pietrangelo has been the best, over the last few seasons, but I still think Doughty is the better player. It just seems like Doughty's passion has taken a dip, since the Kings fell off, and he's been mailing it in. That said, I voted Pietrangelo, since that's just speculation and the results speak for themselves.

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
Probably gotta say Pietro right now, but the kid is coming.

upload_2020-5-25_19-1-53.gif

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Out of these choices Piets. But, I think if we are talking last two years I think it is Letang.

He’s scored more points than Piets in less games, is used more frequently in all situations in comparison to his other D members unlike Piets, and is pretty much identical analytically in a far much less forgiving system.

Last edited:

crazyfisherman

Sharangovich fanboy
Sep 22, 2012
Petro for me but you would think the norris winner from last yr would at least be an option....

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
Going with Petro. The rest are not great, past their prime, or yet to reach their prime.

Brutal Take
Dougie Hamilton was having a career year. Was a shoe in for a norris finalist. on pace for 25 goals, which would have been his 8th straight season of increasing his goals from previous.
Leading his team in ice time and shots, and every major metric 5v5.
One of the best Penalty killers in the league

Apparently the voters have some bad memory to the season Hamilton was having before his injury by the voting total.
Drew Doughty Plays like trash and has more votes. What year is this?

at the time of injury among all defenseman with 500 mins
1st in xGF%
2nd in GF%
3rd in CF%
2nd in High danger CF%
while playing 23-24 mins a night on 1st team PK and 1st team PP

He is going to be signing $70-80 million contract next off-season easy

Reactions: Dominance

McFlash97

Oct 10, 2017
Seriously....who voted Morgan Reilly....seriously....

If Reilly is Canada's best
....we might as well play in relegation rounds in the Olympics.

Mighty Makar

I hate this fu*ken team
May 24, 2016
Seriously....who voted Morgan Reilly....seriously....

If Reilly is Canada's best
....we might as well play in relegation rounds in the Olympics.
He’s definitely not the best, but he’d be on Team Canada in a best on best tournament.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
Blows my mind
Download-Image-2.png

Doughty has been phoning it in on a bad team, but he doesnt appear to have actually lost much physically at age 30. He probably doesn't deserve to get votes based on how he's performed, but would anyone really be shocked if he were to be taken in a best on best and end up being the best defenseman on Team Canada?

Reactions: TopCheese

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Out of these choices Piets. But, I think if we are talking last two years I think it is Letang.
Didn't Mark Giordano, like, just win the Norris?

Reasonable points. I didn’t want to include more than ten options, and I figured there would probably be close to 15 players that get votes. I expected a few votes for other. I tried to balance the options as much as possible. Fans always get mad about this stuff, but I’m trying to make these polls as neutral as possible.

Reactions: TopCheese

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad