OT: Best bars in Victoria to watch the Canucks?

Superpest

Undrafted Free Agent
May 20, 2009
Cascadia
I went to Sharks Club (which has been renamed Vancouver Club for the series) last night and it was awesome, such a great atmosphere and it was fully focused on the game. $4 pints helped that too.

Anywhere else?

arshonagon

Nov 16, 2009
Victoria, BC
I like 5th Street Bar and Grill and The Beagle Pub. Both have good, decently priced food and good beer with decent drink specials.

underflux

Jun 22, 2010
Calgary, AB
I always used to go to the Shark Club when I felt like going out for games. They used to do a lot of door prizes and stuff during bigger events.

Then again take that with a grain of salt because I left Vic about 4 years ago so things have undoubtedly changed.

VictownSulley

Sep 13, 2007
Shark Club is good. The Sticky Wicket is ok. 5th St has great food as mentioned. McRae's on Shelbourne is good to, some really smart ex hockey people own/ work there. Podium downtown is alright. However, the Game 3 party at my place is going to be insane. Serious, serious, serious Canuck fans and sooo much great craft beer. Phillips, Granville Island and Longwood Brewery to name a few.

StrictlyCommercial

Oct 28, 2006
Vancouver
Good ones that haven't been mentioned yet are: the two mile (or is it the 4 mile?) is pretty good for late games with cheap appy's after 8. Hecklers is also good for games.

ZombieMatt

May 20, 2002
Hecklers on Gorge Road is always my place of choice for any sports event. They have some great promotions as well for Canucks games. Plus a hockey shooter trainer in the parking garage to shoot on during intermissions to win great prizes.

Jarko2004

Sep 15, 2004
Vancouver Island
Shark Club can be fun but it is populated almost entirely by sad old men and well-endowed waitresses. No self-respecting female I know would go there. As long as you know that, it's fine. Even as a male, being a youthful type, I still feel kind of out of place there, like at a stripper bar. Oh and I have had food poisoning twice in about 5 years. Sounds like I'm running place down :laugh: but I've actually been there quite a few times over the years. TV selection is usually great.

I do prefer the Sticky Wicket which is a little more classy but depending on the night it can be overrun with non-hockey fans (but is that any different than actually going to a Canuck game, 98% cell texting bandwagoners who've never heard of Trevor Linden).

The Four Mile Pub has an exclusively sports bar in the basement which I quite enjoyed when I was there.

tesplen

Jan 26, 2006
I've always liked Garrick's Head downtown, or Christie's Carriage House on Fort St.

oyvey

meet you at the bottom if there really is one
Jan 6, 2010
Toronto
Soprano's can be fun once in a while. Usually a very young crowd, though.

Heckler's is probably the best place in Victoria. The only downside is that it's kind of out of the way.

Podium (lower Yates, next to Lucky Bar) is pretty good too. They have cheap specials on decent food, and the servers are attentive and friendly. I think they do prizes.

Shark Club is what you'd expect from a Shark Club.

Before the fact it's extremely expensive, I've never liked Irish Times. Very touristy. Grouchy staff.

Sticky Wicket is kind of hit and miss. I find the crowd can be really abrasive (and I'm in my early 20s) and the service can be baffling (as in she totally disappears for half an hour or walks right by you and just smiles when you need the bill).

Apparantly Darcy's (Flames central) is showing Canucks games now too, if you're up for some trollin'.

And it's very out of the way, but the Prairie Inn in Saanichton is great. Fun, friendly, good mix of young and old, it's kind of an interesting building, and I don't remember it being overly expensive.

As good as Garrick's is, don't they have tiny TVs in remote areas? And Christie's is pretty close to my house, I may check it out.

Garrick's is actually Senators' HQ in Victoria. It's still a friendly place, and I'd be surprised if they didn't show the games, but you're right; if I recall correctly, I think they just have the two screens above the bar, and it's a small place to begin with.

topheavyhookjaw

Sep 7, 2008
Podium or Darcys for me. Darcy's was a 'flames bar' but this time of year there's no flames fans there. Podium was excellent, was there for game 6 vs Nashville and had a good meal and the game was on nice and loud on all tvs, service was good.

I live across the road from 1550s a pub-type restaurant in saanich, and its good too, just put in new tvs and it's now a lot better for games. Lots of good neighbourhood pub options (Monkey tree, Beagle, Christies, Maude Hunters) not so many downtown though.

arshonagon

Nov 16, 2009
Victoria, BC
For beer lovers 5th Street Bar and Grill should have 3.50 pints of Driftwood Farmhand Ale on sale for tomorrow's game. Just a heads up, hard to find a deal that good. Far as I can tell they are selling at cost.

Also, if anybody goes to The Carriage House try the Crannog Back Hand of God Stout. Amazing beer and the only place in Victoria it can be found (liquor store or bar).

Zippgunn

May 15, 2011
Lhuntshi
Logan's is a great place for the more "alternative" crowd to watch the game if you want a good selection of great beer and great pub food and it's not pricey. The crowd is very diverse and fun plus if you hang out after the game there is usually a solid band or three playing or maybe an off-the-rails DJ. Fun in the heart of Fernwood so most of you can walk home if need be.

Superpest

Undrafted Free Agent
May 20, 2009
Cascadia
Didn't Podiums owner beat up a Hawks fan right in front of his bar? Or something along those lines?

I went to Shark Club again for game 5 and oh man was it awesome. Pretty pricey but hey, i didn't care, we won. I just love the atmosphere, and they draw a jersey every playoff game which is awesome.

LoneBeachRider

Jun 3, 2015
Podium or Darcys for me. Darcy's was a 'flames bar' but this time of year there's no flames fans there. Podium was excellent, was there for game 6 vs Nashville and had a good meal and the game was on nice and loud on all tvs, service was good.

I heard Darcy's opened up a new place out in Langford or Colwood? Same silent ownership group? What the hell kind of group opens up out there?? Mind you, it's been a while for me. Is the new one flames central too?

oyvey

meet you at the bottom if there really is one
Jan 6, 2010
Toronto
I heard Darcy's opened up a new place out in Langford or Colwood? Same silent ownership group? What the hell kind of group opens up out there?? Mind you, it's been a while for me. Is the new one flames central too?
Yeah, it's the old Stationhouse in Goldsteam Village -- the Darcy's people bought it and renovated about a year ago. It draws the typical Langford crowd and didn't seem at all like the one downtown. When I went there was a live band playing to maybe 2-3 people on the dance floor. Don't remember there being a Flames theme but I didn't go during the playoffs.

As someone who lives downtown-ish, I find myself with very few sports bar options since this thread was last active. Podium and Soprano's are gone, and I haven't tried the new place Tally Ho's, but it would be a bit of a trudge for me.

Not really a sports bar, but Big Bad John's is fun.
Yes. Yes it is.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad