Best Bang for your Buck Stick on the Market?

AIREAYE

Jun 7, 2009
Tyler, you're in Toronto, why not just go to a shop, ask an associate to help pick out a few in your preferred flex/curve and see which one feels better?

Tyler Durden

Sep 18, 2009
I sure will also how long should your stick be when on shoes should it be up to your chin? Or longer?

Droid6

Feb 7, 2012
Norfolk, VA
I sure will also how long should your stick be when on shoes should it be up to your chin? Or longer?

My stick is cut at about my collar bone with skates on or if you had a Bauer 87 flex stick I cut it at the 105 flex line and I'm 6' tall. If I was you I'd start long and cut away as you feel fit over time. I've had Reebok, Easton and Bauer sticks, I like the durability of the Bauer and Reebok the most but prefer Bauer because I like the P88 curve. I had 3 easton EQ30 sticks and they all fell apart at the end of the blade one way or another.

r3cc0s

Mar 7, 2011
lots of options... I'd suggest you search the posts

between 70-110 there are so many options, specifically used sticks

that being said, if you're a beginner, I suggest you use a wood stick to learn feel, as those "priced-point" fiberglassy low-mid level sticks have none

sticks in that price point above, I'd suggest are the same as I've always harped on:
Synergy Elite
SE16 (sometimes)
Synergy ST
S17
S19 (sometimes)
One95
Warrior AK27 shaft (I put a woody in one)
Warrior Dolo (sometimes)
T90 (costco SMU if you can find is cheap)

hockeymass

Feb 13, 2012

I used to cut mine to about nose level without skates on, but I found that it was a bit too long. I cut it to about chin or lip level now so that it comes up to my collarbone when I'm on skates. Much better for stickhandling.

Individual 1

Jan 25, 2012
With hockey season nearly done there could possibly be some good deals now or in a few months

IDuck

Sep 26, 2007
I just bought the AK27 w/ a iginla wood blade for $89 together... the shaft is $79 @ sportcheck, but at hockey monkey its even cheaper

mine is an 09 model and I dunno, w/ the wood blade its super light, though people say the shaft is heavier than advertised (maybe not the 09?)

my buddy's S19 weight in comparison was very close, and he was impressed w/ the wood blade feel
i have the OPS and i love it, i know some guys who have the shafts and they love them, they have like 10

hockeymass

Feb 13, 2012
Yeah, it's pretty cool actually. The fact is my team has a program for public to try and play, and we teach them too all for free. They can borrow some of our used gears but the amount is limited. Suprisingly, there were a lot of people who are interested but always got thrown off when they hear the equipment price :(

I found Hockeytron before but didn't really thought it's legit hahah this forum rocks, so many useful information. Thanks, I'll be sure to check them out!

I'm actually thinking of trying those knockoffs but my knowledge of today's stick technology is pretty limited. Gonna wait until i get my APX, then some TotalOnes and Eastons that my friends ordered. Maybe I'll get a view solid grounds for comparison.

Bauer twigs are out of control. I have the APX and it's just ridiculously awesome.

r3cc0s

Mar 7, 2011
http://www.gameusedsticks.com/sticks.html

concidering it wasn't that many years ago that the pro's were using Easton Stealths & Synergys that didn't even have a series
same w/ the Vector

but I do find it funny how so many people, specifically kids, who shrug or look off what's in the clearance rack... I mean I see kid's who say no way... the S17, One95, SE16 and the Dolo are ancient

the old Bauer One90 was a solid stick, as was the old Z bubble and old Mission M1

I think the biggest progression these days are the foam core OPS blades, as now shafts are more rare, even in the Show and of course some of the crazy advancements such as Bauer's intellisence and Easton's shaft tapering

sorry kid, even if your daddy buys you the RS or an APX, I doubt that will enhance your game that drastically...

Last edited:

michaelshu

Jan 26, 2012
Hockey Hell
Bauer twigs are out of control. I have the APX and it's just ridiculously awesome.

So i heard, my friend.. so i heard. This is my first time using a high end OPS (first time i could afford it, actually :p) and pretty excited.

But I wouldn't mind snatching some old & cheap z-bubbles, also curious with the SE16, people on this forum seems to love them

michaelshu

Jan 26, 2012
Hockey Hell
I'd probably keep the APX for important games only though... durable shaft is good, since shipping blades is pretty cheap.

Anyone ever used a black Koho wooden stick back from the 90s? Can't remember the model though..

Squidriss

Feb 5, 2012
I know this is gonna sound bad but try one of them itech sticks from walmart its 59.99. It works really well for me.

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
You will find a wide variety of opinions on this, but among higher level players the most common stick length is roughly in the collar bone to mid-neck height on skates, so around lips to chin height in bare feet. For some reason less experienced players often seem to use longer sticks, like nose-height in skates, but you'll very rarely see sticks that long being used by high level players unless they're defensive dmen, or really short players who use a very long stick with a very low lie to make up for a lack of reach. There are of course exceptions, you will find some average sized NHL forwards who use long sticks, but it's rare.

I would personally suggest starting with a stick around your adam's apple in skates, will let you stick handle properly (with your hands in front of your body, not at your side), and will help you learn to keep a good knee/ankle bend when skating/playing, while a really long stick can encourage you to play standing up straighter, which isn't a good thing.

SkyKushryd

Nov 13, 2010
Canada Eh.
I bought some sticks from Costco, Sherwood Focus, I'm not sure on all the details, but they only cost me 39.99 each, and I'm still using my first one and it's been about a year.

I usually play about 2 times a week, and it's lasted a lot longer than my old wood sticks used to.

SittingDuck

Dec 11, 2011
Hyvinkää
year ago i got CCM U+ 03 for christmas present and I really like it. It hasn't broke down at all so far, and just seems perfect for me, But then again it's the first composite stick i've used so i wouldn't know :/. Also it's affordable (70€)

zeeto

Oct 28, 2011
Endwell, NY
Anyone have a recommendation on a wood stick? I picked up a chinzy synergy abs, when I was scrambling to find a stick literally 15 min before I was going to step onto the ice.

I'm just starting out again, and want to keep it wood for now until really get back into it. I've actually been thinking of picking up a '11 AK27 shaft, for $55, off hockeymonkey and just holding onto it until then...

Jarick

Doing Nothing
Well you're tall enough to be able to use and flex a woody, but if you don't mind springing for the AK, it's a good price and better performance and durability. Couple it with a good wood blade, change the tape after every skate, and you should be golden. Or spring for a One95/Total One blade.

zeeto

Oct 28, 2011
Endwell, NY
Well you're tall enough to be able to use and flex a woody, but if you don't mind springing for the AK, it's a good price and better performance and durability. Couple it with a good wood blade, change the tape after every skate, and you should be golden. Or spring for a One95/Total One blade.
I don't want to hijack this thread too much, but a comp shaft and wood blade won't "slow" any development over a straight wood stick, would it? I had only played with wood sticks before and I'm definitely more concerned with getting back up to speed at this point.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad