Best Animated Series?

Navin R Slavin

Fifth line center
Jan 1, 2011
Durrm NC
Unfortunately the Dale voice actor Johnny Hardwick just passed away unexpectedly in his mid 60s so I'm not sure how they'll handle him in the reboot. I agree he would be perfect in the new setting.
I'm pretty sure there's enough Dale audio out there to replace him with a combo of a real actor and an AI voice actor.

Which, by the way, would make for an incredible low key Easter egg plotline. "Something ain't right about Dale..."

To Be Determined

Jun 22, 2006
The answer is the simpsons. Other shows - especially futurama, personally - have hit the same highs at their best, but the simpson have more genuinely great episodes than most shows have total episodes.

One that i don't think has been mentioned, and probably isn't as widely seen since it is a "kid" show, is Gravity Falls. It is a top 5 all-timer and i'll die on that hill.

I'm assuming looney tunes, animaniacs, and the like (shout out to bluey, too) are not in the conversation. It is a weird distinction, but to me those aren't what i consider a "series" in the context of this conversation.

AD Skinner

Mar 18, 2009
bubble bath
Gravity falls was spectacular. If you liked it, I’d recommend Scooby Doo: mystery incorporated- it hits a very similar spot.

I kinda hope they don’t bother with a king of the hill reboot. Even ignoring the amount of the cast that’s no longer with us I just don’t know if the humor would be anything but divisive today, which I feel like would be the opposite of what the original accomplished

Reactions: DaveG

raynman

Jan 20, 2013
Unfortunately the Dale voice actor Johnny Hardwick just passed away unexpectedly in his mid 60s so I'm not sure how they'll handle him in the reboot. I agree he would be perfect in the new setting.
Well that’s a bummer to find out about

AhosDatsyukian

Sep 25, 2020
I'm pretty sure there's enough Dale audio out there to replace him with a combo of a real actor and an AI voice actor.

Which, by the way, would make for an incredible low key Easter egg plotline. "Something ain't right about Dale..."
That may be what they do -- I'm not a fan of it at all personally.

Reactions: zman77 and DaveG

Joe McGrath

Oct 29, 2009
The answer is the simpsons. Other shows - especially futurama, personally - have hit the same highs at their best, but the simpson have more genuinely great episodes than most shows have total episodes.

One that i don't think has been mentioned, and probably isn't as widely seen since it is a "kid" show, is Gravity Falls. It is a top 5 all-timer and i'll die on that hill.

I'm assuming looney tunes, animaniacs, and the like (shout out to bluey, too) are not in the conversation. It is a weird distinction, but to me those aren't what i consider a "series" in the context of this conversation.
Big City Greens is tremendous in that same realm.

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina
Anyone else remember this?

View attachment 736849
^^^AINEC

Plus....

Tom and Jerry
Bugs Bunny
Foghorn Leghorn
Scooby Doo
Josie and the p***ycats

see a pattern.....it's called old age.

^^^AINEC

Plus....

Tom and Jerry
Bugs Bunny
Foghorn Leghorn
Scooby Doo
Josie and the p***ycats

see a pattern.....it's called old age.
What the f***...I can't even say p u. s. s. y cats on this site?

Lucky Lindy

Jun 24, 2012
Stockholm
The first season was, understandably, geared more towards kids. As it goes on the themes get more grown up, and the story gets deeper and darker. Push through the first season or two and it's great. Rebels is also excellent, and I even enjoyed Rise of the Resistance. Just getting around to Bad Batch but it's pretty good so far as well.
Sounds good, I'm in the middle of season two, and it's been some good episodes and some slow episodes so far.

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
Everything begins and ends with the Simpsons. My elementary school in the 90s didn't allow Simpsons apparel to be worn, not even lunchboxes. Nowadays I see kids wearing Simpsons stuff all the time.

King of the Hill is a close second, I first got into it when I watched the Thanksgiving airport episode, I can relate.

American Dad/Family Guy are good but like the Simpsons they've seen their best days. Futurerama and Bob's Burgers I'm starting to get into.

I'm not a fan of Rick and Morty.

The Looney Tunes are a good watch for a rainy day or something.

AD Skinner

Mar 18, 2009
bubble bath
I was not allowed to watch the simpsons as a kid which made me want to watch it all the more. I didn’t really get to dive into it until I was in college and my roommate had the first like 12 seasons on dvd so I inhaled them all

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
I was not allowed to watch the simpsons as a kid which made me want to watch it all the more. I didn’t really get to dive into it until I was in college and my roommate had the first like 12 seasons on dvd so I inhaled them all
I couldn’t watch the Simpson’s as a kid either.

Reactions: tarheelhockey

Joe McGrath

Oct 29, 2009
I recall my dad having a conversation with his friend about the Simpsons and how it wasn’t allowed in their house and my dad was just like, why not? It’s hilarious!

I was watching (the TV version) of Slap Shot at like 8 so maybe not a great example, but I turned out semi normal.

zman77

Oct 1, 2015

working hard homer simpson GIF

Dec 30, 2013
Archer
Futurama
Venture Bros
The Critic
King of the Hill
South Park
Early Simpsons
Bob's Burgers
Cowboy Bebop
FLCL
Full Metal Alchemist Brotherhood

I still wish Keanu had been able to get the funding for a live action Cowboy Bebop. I think that is a show that could actually have been done well live action, especially with him as Spike.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad