Best and Worst Hockey Journalists?

Oneiro

Mar 28, 2013
Not surprised to see most replies are pretty negative. The obvious bad ones to me are Ryan Lambert and Scott Burnside. They are hyperbolic in their assessment of everything and they are both poor writers. Their biases (melodrama, snark) are obvious.

Though he's been speculating way more in recent years, I still like Elliotte Friedman. By and large, I think, even when he's presenting his opinion or talking about an uncertainty, he respects the dignity of the players/coaches/GMs in question and he generally has a measured take on issues, even as he approaches sensitive territory. The same goes for Bob McKenzie. It's sad to say these guys are old-school in their professionalism.

Teeder9

Free rent for Mo?
Oct 14, 2011
Ontario
I like Friedman as well. I know some have disparaged things he's said because they don't agree with the premise, but you don't gain respect by anyone here by saying, "yes, I heard about that too" after the fact. I have no doubts when he says he's heard things that he has indeed heard them. They might not be popular with some, but he's not Eklund, and his articles are thoughtful and well written.

Inkling

Same Old Hockey
Nov 27, 2006
Ottawa
The Athletic has hired almost all of the best ones. Some good ones not on the Athletic include Friedman, Duhatschek, McKenzie (not primarily a print guy but he has many good articles on TSN), Roy MacGregor, Mike Farber. Not as familiar with American ones but I've liked Helene Eliott in the past.

mashedpotato

full stack.
Jan 10, 2012
James Mirtle and Jonas Siegel are among the better writers for the Leafs. They're honest and rely on data instead of any preconceived notions.

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
Though he's been speculating way more in recent years, I still like Elliotte Friedman. By and large, I think, even when he's presenting his opinion or talking about an uncertainty, he respects the dignity of the players/coaches/GMs in question and he generally has a measured take on issues, even as he approaches sensitive territory. The same goes for Bob McKenzie. It's sad to say these guys are old-school in their professionalism.

What I like about Friedman that distinguishes him from a lot of poor reporters is that he's generally pretty clear on whether he's reporting a done deal, a legitimate rumour, hearsay, personal speculation, etc. He doesn't try to pass off his own opinions as anything more than that, so I don't understand why so many people dislike his "speculation".

stator

Apr 17, 2012
San Jose
Don Cherry is one of the worst for me. However, I know you fans up north like him. He's a canadian fixture for the NHL like bags are for milk up there.

Tim Wallach

Oct 9, 2007
Kitchener, Ontario
Don Cherry is one of the worst for me. However, I know you fans up north like him. He's a canadian fixture for the NHL like bags are for milk up there.

I wouldn't say "you fans up north like him." It's more like it was sacrilege not to like him growing up, but as people mature, develop independent thought and can identify blatant ignorance, many can't stand him. In fact, more people I talk to in Canada these days think the guy is a complete idiot than actually like him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad