Best and Worst Drafts

Skk82

Mar 30, 2004
Arlington, VA
VladNYC said:
Worst Draft in first round. Hands down Pit getting another center. They should have gotten Kulemin for Malkin. They have been playing together since they were kids. They are line mates in the RSL and are an insane pair. Once again PIT shows why they do so bad in the league.

the penguins didn't go out of their way to draft crosby's linemates in juniors or the famous chair that mario lemieux learned how to skate with as a boy, so they shouldn't have to bend over backwards for malkin.

he wasn't the BPA when the pens picked. i think carl sneep was a great selection at #32, and wouldn't favor kulemin just because he has a rapport with malkin.

mercury

Mar 10, 2003
South Philly/SoCal
Visit site
I have to agree with the Blues. It always helps to have #1 overall when there is a potential franchise player in the draft, but the Berglund pick was great, too. If they continue to draft and develop well, they will be a playoff team again in a few seasons.

VladNYC*

Mister Hockey said:
:shakehead

Yes, just pass on better players to take a cronie of Malkin's, who may never play in the NHL.

Yes an uneeded Staal is better then the RSL rookie of the year. :shakehead Staal isn't even close to Kulemin in terms of skill.

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
We all know that we have to wait and see. But the winners and losers BASED on their names, their accomplishment so far and their potentiel upsides are :

WINNERS:

BUFFALO: I think I like all of their picks, like Enroth a lot, and Persson, Breault was not a great choice in the first 3 rounds but later like that in the draft, he becomes an amazing pick.

COLORADO: Truly amazing draft! :eek: I would take exactly the same people in the same order. Williams in the first rounds would have been not so great but on that spot, he becomes very interesting. Like Montgomery a lot and especially that late.

CHICAGO: Again they used well their tons of picks that they had, how can you not be winner with Toews, Makarov, Danis-Pepin (great choice), Lagerstrom and Shutron (that late!!! :eek: )

MINNESOTA: Another draft where I like every player chosen and the ranks they were picked. The last 3 picks are really really interesting.

MONTREAL: 'Cause it's my team and to have the possibility to choose 3 guys (Fisher, White and Maxwell) who were in most top-30 mock drafts, is pretty amazing. Not sold on Carle but will see.

ISLANDERS: That is definately their best drafts in a while. Okposo, Joensuu (at this rank, it's pretty good), Figren (love the guy!...in a hockey way), Rakhsani, Marcinko, Simms. Pretty good!

LOSERS:

CAROLINA; Not impressed, McBain is a good choice and Chaput possible sleeper but that's it.

DALLAS: Not excited by any of those guys, and I really don't like Vishnevski.

EDMONTON: Just don't see any upside in these guys

SAN JOSE: See Edmonton

TAMPA BAY; If Helenius doesn't pan out.....

P.S I will never say Detroit had a bad draft. Though so too in the year of Zetterberg and Datsyuk. You never know Axelsson could be just the same type of player and other players might pan out, but it doesn't seem that great as of now.....

And this is only based on the draft in his entirety. Washington did have a good draft, Rangers as well and others but not as great as the others.

It just mean what it means, meaning an idea on how it looked a day after the draft day. Obviously, this will turn around in 4 years and you just need 1 guy out of your 6 to become a superstar and then you'll be remember as the real winner.

And this is just for fun..... ;)

Sens Rule

Sep 22, 2005
VladNYC said:
Yes an uneeded Staal is better then the RSL rookie of the year. :shakehead Staal isn't even close to Kulemin in terms of skill.

So the 44th pick is better than the 2nd pick? Alrighty there. Guess all 30 GMs and their scouts are stupid. And I guess a centre has NEVER played on the Wing and no team has EVER had 3 good centres?

Skk82

Mar 30, 2004
Arlington, VA
cup2006sensrule said:
So the 44th pick is better than the 2nd pick? Alrighty there. Guess all 30 GMs and their scouts are stupid.

if given the chance, i'm sure our comrade could put up the argument that kulemin is actually a better prospect then erik johnson.

you know, because he's russian.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
Winners: Buffalo, NYI, Boston, Colorado, Minny

I won't say NYR did one way or the other. If Sanguinetti actually pans out, then it could be a great draft. Getting Anisimov in the 2nd was pretty awesome and getting Hillier in the 3rd was great, too.

I'm really intrigued by the later round picks such as Kveton.

clefty

Retrovertigo
Dec 24, 2003
Visit site
skk_82 said:
if given the chance, i'm sure our comrade could put up the argument that kulemin is actually a better prospect then erik johnson.

Was Erik Johnson the RSL Rookie of the Year? No? Well, that settles that.

Case closed.

2ForRoughing*

clefty said:
Was Erik Johnson the RSL Rookie of the Year? No? Well, that settles that.

Case closed.

how could Eric Johnson have been rookie of the year in a league he didn't even play in? The arrogance you display in your post is astounding.

Habsfan18

The Hockey Library
May 13, 2003
Ontario
2ForRoughing said:
how could Eric Johnson have been rookie of the year in a league he didn't even play in? The arrogance you display in your post is astounding.

It was sarcasm....................

clefty

Retrovertigo
Dec 24, 2003
Visit site
2ForRoughing said:
You're so sharp, you're gonna cut yourself. :D

Dec 15, 2002
VladNYC said:
Worst Draft in first round. Hands down Pit getting another center. They should have gotten Kulemin for Malkin. They have been playing together since they were kids. They are line mates in the RSL and are an insane pair. Once again PIT shows why they do so bad in the league.
You should always take the linemate of a known elite player, because they're sure to rekindle that fire in another league.

Sincerely,

Yves Corteau, Rob Pearson, Kevin Todd, Doug Brown, and every other guy who played on the same line as someone who went on to become a major NHL superstar.

crashlanding

Nov 29, 2005
Chicago
Irish Blues said:
You should always take the linemate of a known elite player, because they're sure to rekindle that fire in another league.

Sincerely,

Yves Corteau, Rob Pearson, Kevin Todd, Doug Brown, and every other guy who played on the same line as someone who went on to become a major NHL superstar.
Good point, it sure worked for Spezza and Bochenski this year. :sarcasm:

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002
Checker said:
I'm not shocked no one is praising the Blues draft. I'm actually waiting for te Erik Johnson and Patrik Berglund are overrated threads now that they are Blues prospects. I'm also waiting for people to take back Kana, Berra and Junland as "potential sleepers" now that they are in the threadbare cupboard of the Blues :shakehead

:biglaugh:

Brock

Feb 27, 2002
The GTA
ohlprospects.blogspot.com
whitesnake said:
We all know that we have to wait and see. But the winners and losers BASED on their names, their accomplishment so far and their potentiel upsides are :

WINNERS:

BUFFALO: I think I like all of their picks, like Enroth a lot, and Persson, Breault was not a great choice in the first 3 rounds but later like that in the draft, he becomes an amazing pick.

COLORADO: Truly amazing draft! :eek: I would take exactly the same people in the same order. Williams in the first rounds would have been not so great but on that spot, he becomes very interesting. Like Montgomery a lot and especially that late.

CHICAGO: Again they used well their tons of picks that they had, how can you not be winner with Toews, Makarov, Danis-Pepin (great choice), Lagerstrom and Shutron (that late!!! :eek: )

MINNESOTA: Another draft where I like every player chosen and the ranks they were picked. The last 3 picks are really really interesting.

MONTREAL: 'Cause it's my team and to have the possibility to choose 3 guys (Fisher, White and Maxwell) who were in most top-30 mock drafts, is pretty amazing. Not sold on Carle but will see.

ISLANDERS: That is definately their best drafts in a while. Okposo, Joensuu (at this rank, it's pretty good), Figren (love the guy!...in a hockey way), Rakhsani, Marcinko, Simms. Pretty good!

LOSERS:

CAROLINA; Not impressed, McBain is a good choice and Chaput possible sleeper but that's it.

Agree with your winners. Buffalo getting Schutz in the 4th is a great value pick, I think hes got a ton of talent and just another case of a prospect punished in the draft for the competitiveness of his team.

I disagree on Carolina as a loser, I actually really liked their draft. Mcbain is a great pick at 63 because of his offensive potential. Harrison Reed is a very interesting player, hes got a lot of potential. Was his first year in the OHL this year and he was second in goals for Sarnia. He's a blazing skater and he's very skilled. He's just a complete one dimensional player. But i mean, he's got room for improvement IMO. Bobby Hughes was a great value pick in the 4th. He's on the small side, but with the new NHL, who knows. He's a very smart offensive player. Chaput is an interesting character selection. I think the Nick Dodge selection is really interesting too. I've heard comparisons to Erik Cole, and well with Carolina drafting him you'd have to think that they might have seen something along those lines. He had an awesome year for a strong Clarkson team and is going to be their captain next year. I've read on Inside College Hockey before that he could be a sleeper for the Hobey Baker next year. I kind of expected someone to take a chance on him a little higher actually.

VladNYC*

cup2006sensrule said:
So the 44th pick is better than the 2nd pick? Alrighty there. Guess all 30 GMs and their scouts are stupid. And I guess a centre has NEVER played on the Wing and no team has EVER had 3 good centres?

With out a doubt. It's not like this is the first time a Russian player has been picked well below his skill level. I will once again refer to Pavel Datsyuk as a CLASSIC example of NHL scouts evaluating Russian prospects.

6th round pick! What a joke.

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/draft/nhl1998e.html

With sooooo many superstars above him, how did he even get picked? :shakehead

Look at all these great Centers picked over him in the first and second round alone.

Manny Malhotra
Eric Chouinard
Milan Kraft
Artem Chubarov
Blair Betts
Chris Nielsen
Christian Berglund
Justin Papineau

I mean who needs Datsyuk when u have Chubarov.

Some times i think these scouts just pick the Russian names out of a hat and if they can pronounce it, he gets picked in one of the last rounds as a "Ehh what the hell" kind of thing.

VladNYC*

Irish Blues said:

What you people don't understand is Kulemin is a well know elite player. The bottom line is none of you guys know any thing about the RSL but automatically assume that some college kid or amature is better then a proven RSL player. I mean cuz as Don Cherry says, Russians are N-O-T-H-I-N-G and he is always right. Soemtimes alot of the opinions and just plain disrespect here for the RSL is at best ignorant and many times border line racist.

Whitesnake

Jan 5, 2003
DoobieDoobieDo said:
Why is the last three picks for Minnesota interesting?

Well I missed a pick there, but I meant the Medvec, Hovinen and Walker picks. All three have a great potentiel there and all are possible sleepers with great upside. Pretty rare that late on a draft to have not only 1 or 2 but 3 picks like that. Can't believe Hovinen and Walker were picked that late. But again Alec Richards wasn't picked AT ALL so.....

Whitesnake

Jan 5, 2003
Brock said:
I disagree on Carolina as a loser, I actually really liked their draft. Mcbain is a great pick at 63 because of his offensive potential. Harrison Reed is a very interesting player, hes got a lot of potential. Was his first year in the OHL this year and he was second in goals for Sarnia. He's a blazing skater and he's very skilled. He's just a complete one dimensional player. But i mean, he's got room for improvement IMO. Bobby Hughes was a great value pick in the 4th. He's on the small side, but with the new NHL, who knows. He's a very smart offensive player. Chaput is an interesting character selection. I think the Nick Dodge selection is really interesting too. I've heard comparisons to Erik Cole, and well with Carolina drafting him you'd have to think that they might have seen something along those lines. He had an awesome year for a strong Clarkson team and is going to be their captain next year. I've read on Inside College Hockey before that he could be a sleeper for the Hobey Baker next year. I kind of expected someone to take a chance on him a little higher actually.

For the few times I've seen him, and remember I ain't no scout but just a armchair player, GM and scout at the same time, I never like Reed for the exact reason you like him, his one-dimensional side. As far as Hugues is concerned, with the way the draft went, I did predict that he would go in the 4th round but that was before the actual draft where a lof of crazy things happened, all those falls from Williams, White, Shutron....and still Hugues found a way in this 4th round. Just believe there were much better and more complete players to choose at that spot. Nick Doge, well le's be honest, read a couple of things on him this year but never saw him play so again that's why I said previously that it is just a fan with his limitations rating drafts as good as he can. But I did say that McBain and Chaput were good picks, not great but good. I did hope that Chaput would end up with the Habs but he didn't.

So, in the end you could be right, Canes didn't probably deserve a place in the Losers section, probably more an average draft, but I need to stand behind my choices..... ;)

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
VladNYC said:
With out a doubt. It's not like this is the first time a Russian player has been picked well below his skill level. I will once again refer to Pavel Datsyuk as a CLASSIC example of NHL scouts evaluating Russian prospects.

yeah, it's not like NA players or players from other countries are ever picked late and end up being fantastic players!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad