Best and Worst Drafts

Russian_fanatic

Jan 19, 2004
Colorado had an AMAZING draft! IMO Vancouver had a pretty decent draft too. Atlanta did awesome too.

Checker*

St. Louis first 4 rounds have me really excited.

We got the best player available.
We also got an impact forward in the 1st round who the Blues have had their eye on. Don't know how this happened.
Kana is a decent 2nd round pick.
Junland in the 3rd could be a steal.
Berra and Turek in the 4th was excellent value.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
Hasbro said:
Who do you think had the best and worst draft?

Pittsburgh's Top3 of Stall, Sneep and Strait Impressed my

The Isles shotgun aproach netted some high upsiders: Okposo, Joensuu, Rakhshani, Macinko

Thanks Hasbro, we were pretty happy on our board with that top three as well. Though except for Staal, who may or may not be able to make the move to wing, we really did not address the gaping hole that we have at wing. Still you need to go BPA and I can understand that. We will need to get at least a couple of average wings even this offseason as FA's.

Plager05

Mar 17, 2002
Sewers
Visit site
Checker said:
St. Louis first 4 rounds have me really excited.

We got the best player available.
We also got an impact forward in the 1st round who the Blues have had their eye on. Don't know how this happened.
Kana is a decent 2nd round pick.
Junland in the 3rd could be a steal.
Berra and Turek in the 4th was excellent value.

We traded the 30th and the 77th pick for the 25th. With NJ.

cheechoopens

Aug 3, 2005
Hasbro said:

The Isles shotgun aproach netted some high upsiders: Okposo, Joensuu, Rakhshani, Macinko

I totally agree. This was a good draft for us. I really have the sense that Shero is looking to revamp this team into a well oiled machine. For those doubters, please be patient with him and let's see what he does.

VikingAv

Mediiic!!
Jun 18, 2006
Norway
Russian_fanatic said:
Colorado had an AMAZING draft! IMO Vancouver had a pretty decent draft too. Atlanta did awesome too.

I agree we (Avalanche) had a very good draft.

We filled our system needs at goalie and D with Billy Sauer, Nigel Williams and Kevin Montgomery, and added forwards Chris Stewart, Codey Burki and Michael Carman :handclap:

The Avs centerprospects now reads; Stoa, Stastny, Richardson, Hensick, Burki, Durand, Mercier, Carman, McCutcheon :eek:
Some of this guys will have to move to the wing eventually....

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
like any draft ask me in 5 years who had the best, then again in 10 years where my opinions will have likely changed.

stocker

Mar 9, 2004
I like the Bruins draft.Kessel was a steal at #5.Lucic is the best fighter in the draft.Marchand could be a Darcy Tucker type player.

Amadeus

Stand Witness
Jun 21, 2004
Toronto
Leafs had an admirable draft considering the fact that they traded their 3rd round pick. Jiri Tlusty and Nik Kulemin were good selections.

It is somewhat strange that I went to Montreal's board and read that Montreal does not want Fisher because he is a so-called "Idiot", as said by various scouts. He was also refered to as a joke. However, they still got him. Surprising! Montreal managed to get Ben Maxwell later on though, so that was good.

Carolina had a nice draft. They drafted Bobby Hughes wayy late.

Pittsburgh wins hands down. I'm a big Carl Sneep fan and they got him. Thats what happens when you for 5 or 6 straight years.

When Bruins got Marchand I wanted to :madfire:

NobodyBeatsTheWiz

Happy now?
Jun 26, 2004
The Burbs
My team had the best draft. The guys my team drafted in the first three rounds are studs, and the rest of the guys are steals! Just you wait, in five years, theres no question my team will have had the best draft, by far!

Hercules Rockefeller

Feb 9, 2006
Nowhere
Montréal had a pretty good draft with Fischer, Maxwell, carle and White with their first four picks.

New Jersey had a hot 2nd and 3rd round with Vasyunov, Tulupov and Zharkov.

Minnesota, Colorado, Pittsburgh and Washington drafted pretty well too.

But judging a draft one day after it happend is way too premature.

The Viking Fury

Nov 28, 2005
I think they caps faired pretty well. Certainly not the best draft of all the teams, but they addressed their need for centers and goalies. The D situation is still a little behind, but I don't think we're horrible. I like that Toronto got an established goalie for a young prospect, because that might be a situation McPhee looks into later

Boomhower

Aug 23, 2003
Ontario
Visit site
Detroit's draft has to be nominated for one of the worst.

Not a single player that you would consider a high upside pick and at the same time you can't really identify a 'safe' pick in the crop.

On top of that they traded out of the first round, only to select a player they couldn't have been that high on... this possibly indicates to me that they made a mistake and lost the player/s they thought would still be on the board.

Peter

Mar 1, 2002
Alberta
Visit site
VikingAv said:
I agree we (Avalanche) had a very good draft.

We filled our system needs at goalie and D with Billy Sauer, Nigel Williams and Kevin Montgomery, and added forwards Chris Stewart, Codey Burki and Michael Carman :handclap:

The Avs centerprospects now reads; Stoa, Stastny, Richardson, Hensick, Burki, Durand, Mercier, Carman, McCutcheon :eek:
Some of this guys will have to move to the wing eventually....

IMO, Colorado had one of the best drafts. Williams, Stewart and Burki are all going to be NHL players - at what skill level I am not sure and on what lines I am not sure...but these three will all play in the NHL one day.

loyst21

Jun 24, 2006
Windsor, ON
Boomhower said:
Detroit's draft has to be nominated for one of the worst.

Not a single player that you would consider a high upside pick and at the same time you can't really identify a 'safe' pick in the crop.

On top of that they traded out of the first round, only to select a player they couldn't have been that high on... this possibly indicates to me that they made a mistake and lost the player/s they thought would still be on the board.

well im pretty sure cory emmerton (90 points in the ohl this year), is considered a high upside pick if you look at the 'skills rankings' produced by the iss i think emmerton is on almsot every offensive category and was pegged as a first round pick in many mock drafts... so you are definitely wrong

VladNYC*

Worst Draft in first round. Hands down Pit getting another center. They should have gotten Kulemin for Malkin. They have been playing together since they were kids. They are line mates in the RSL and are an insane pair. Once again PIT shows why they do so bad in the league.

Jacky Robert

Aug 17, 2005
Chestnut Hill, MA
Hasbro said:

Boston had a great draft. Getting Kessel at 5 was the theft of the draft. Also, getting Marchand late was a huge surprise. I was hoping they would get Sneep, but its good to see he's heading to a team on the rise in Pittsburgh.

Mister Hockey

Mar 4, 2004
Washington, Pa
VladNYC said:
Worst Draft in first round. Hands down Pit getting another center. They should have gotten Kulemin for Malkin. They have been playing together since they were kids. They are line mates in the RSL and are an insane pair. Once again PIT shows why they do so bad in the league.

:shakehead

Yes, just pass on better players to take a cronie of Malkin's, who may never play in the NHL.

Checker*

I'm not shocked no one is praising the Blues draft. I'm actually waiting for te Erik Johnson and Patrik Berglund are overrated threads now that they are Blues prospects. I'm also waiting for people to take back Kana, Berra and Junland as "potential sleepers" now that they are in the threadbare cupboard of the Blues :shakehead

Meat Wave

Apr 4, 2003
Canada
Montreal, Philly and Colorado come to mind...

The Habs did the most they could with their 6 picks. I'm actually more satisfied with their selections than any other recent draft year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad