Best all-around Defenseman in todays NHL?

Best all-around Defenseman in todays NHL?

• Total voters

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Thought about Hedman but for a single season no salary cap requirements etc… I would take Makar as he really tilts the ice.

Hedman is a good choice too.

Erik Alfredsson

Beast Mode Cowboy!
Jan 14, 2012
I've been really impressed with Fox, but I'd like to see a bit more out of him before calling him the best defenseman in the league.

Having said that, I really feel like this is a bit of a dark period for defensemen. The current crop of NHL dmen seem significantly weaker than they've been in a while. No real game breakers, no real franchise guys that will contend for the Hart. Lots of elite two-way players, but there just isn't that star power like before. Even go back about 10 years ago and you had Weber, Karlsson, Doughty, and Keith who all had legitimate arguments for being top 10 players in the league. I'm not too sure there's any defenseman in the league now that would cut the current top 10 best players.

Reactions: Voight

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
I've been really impressed with Fox, but I'd like to see a bit more out of him before calling him the best defenseman in the league.

Having said that, I really feel like this is a bit of a dark period for defensemen. The current crop of NHL dmen seem significantly weaker than they've been in a while. No real game breakers, no real franchise guys that will contend for the Hart. Lots of elite two-way players, but there just isn't that star power like before. Even go back about 10 years ago and you had Weber, Karlsson, Doughty, and Keith who all had legitimate arguments for being top 10 players in the league. I'm not too sure there's any defenseman in the league now that would cut the current top 10 best players.

I think there’s a pretty strong case to be made for Makar, Fox, and Hedman all being top-10 players in the game right now.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver

I think this was true a couple years ago, but Hedman, Makar and Fox all can slot into that group you mentioned pretty easily. The game breaker seems especially odd as I’d say Karlsson is the only defenseman who might be a bigger game breaker on defense than Makar in the past 25 -30 years. And I think the young defenseman talent is some of the best it’s ever been right now. In addition to Fox and Makar, there’s McAvoy, Heiskanen, Hughes, Seider, Ekblad, etc.

Reactions: wetcoast

QJL

Jan 2, 2014
Fox has been better than Hedman on both ends of the ice for more than a full season now. It’s close though, and they’re the clear top 2 with Josi in 3rd.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad