Music: Best Albums of the Year Series: 1981

Select your 10 (or fewer) favourite albums of 1981

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Saturated Fats

This is water
Jan 24, 2007
Vancouver/Edinburgh
That King Crimson album in the poll is fairly interesting, but it only has one really fantastic track [The Sheltering Sky - inspired by the novel, no doubt] with the rest of it being not nearly as good. Honestly, a lot of it sounds like Tool but 15 years ahead of those guys actually being a band.
Re-listening to it for the first time in yeeeeears, I got a big Primus vibe off of the first track. But I can definitely sense what Maynard would've picked up from the bulk of it.

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
Thank you to whoever put Japan in this poll. As a bass player I love Mick Karn.

That band is criminally underrated in the US. I think the only way people would even know them is from The Deftones cover of Ghosts.

The reason I became a fan was sheer luck and randomness. Bass Player Magazine did a feature on Mick Karn in 2007 as a fretless player, and the same month a gentleman at my job who was in a goth band and about 17 years my senior started telling me all these late 70s/early 80s Post Punk and New Romantic bands he was into and when he mentioned Japan "oh that's the band with that fretless bass dude" and he wrote down some tracks on a Post It for me.

Reactions: Pranzo Oltranzista

Saturated Fats

This is water
Jan 24, 2007
Vancouver/Edinburgh
Thank you to whoever put Japan in this poll.
Whoever could it be...!?

That band is criminally underrated in the US. I think the only way people would even know them is from The Deftones cover of Ghosts.
Completely agree, and love this album. It's in my top-5 of the year, and is a late-night weekend-buzz favourite.

Reactions: Roo Returns

ChiTownPhilly

Not Too Soft
Feb 23, 2010
AnyWorld/I'mWelcomeTo
the Au Pairs - Playing With a Different Sex
Blink and you missed 'em. Lucky me- I didn't blink.
Altered Images - Happy Birthday
Back before Social Media, when not ALL music commentary was "with USURA" (made to sell and sell quickly), we would get occasional, comet-like flashes of insight from the likes of the intermittently incomparable Paul Morley. Reviewing Altered Images, he said:

"Having the desire to lecture feverishly about the Images' dynamic suggestion of new meanings and new relations, but knowing most people don't want to think twice, I force myself to be brief. Brief, bold, secret but coherent, joyous and inexpressibly apprehensive... just like an Altered Images song, which trembles and then tumbles somewhere between knowing the facts of life and discovering one of the meanings of life."

Reactions: Mescaleroman

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
Whoever could it be...!?

Completely agree, and love this album. It's in my top-5 of the year, and is a late-night weekend-buzz favourite.

I love their earlier stuff to like Adolescent and Obscure Alternative. Someone once asked me how to describe it "if Red Hot Chili Peppers and the NY Dolls had a baby."

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad