Music: Best Albums of 2021

Thucydides

Dec 24, 2009
I missed this when it was released back in May. I was a huge NIN fan back in the day . This is the most interesting music Reznor has released under the NIN moniker in years and years.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Upcoming releases:

Clairo (produced by Jack Antonoff with Lorde providing backing vocals)
Halsey (produced by Trent Reznor)
Big Red Machine (Justin Vernon + Aaron Dessner + a bunch of great guest vocalists)
Chvrches

Reactions: Thucydides

ItsFineImFine

Aug 11, 2019
Slowly getting into the new Desperate Journalist album Maximum Sorrow. Fairly good, not as good as their 2nd album from I think 2017 but one of the better ones I've heard this year. Wolf Alice is still tops so far for me. Bono's son's band Inhaler release their debut this week I think though and the singles have been good so far so that might be a contender for me.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Taylor Swift :heart:

It's funny for me because my favorite band is Tool and I used to mainly listen to progressive, metal, Indie, rock, and then some singer songwriter groups. Used to hate Taylor and her music.

1989 really opened the door for me to appreciate that she had a lot more material than what was the big hits and there was some legitimate talent there. I got into the older stuff after that gradually but was turned off by most of Reputation. Though I became an advocate for her ability in groups of musicians.

As a big fan of The National and Justin Vernon, the folklore announcement was incredible and the music really delivered. This stretch of her career is really fun.. the submissions of Folkore/Evermore and now the song with Big Red Machine, its been incredible content. Aaron Dessner is incredible.

Reactions: Thucydides

Thucydides

Dec 24, 2009
It's funny for me because my favorite band is Tool and I used to mainly listen to progressive, metal, Indie, rock, and then some singer songwriter groups. Used to hate Taylor and her music.

1989 really opened the door for me to appreciate that she had a lot more material than what was the big hits and there was some legitimate talent there. I got into the older stuff after that gradually but was turned off by most of Reputation. Though I became an advocate for her ability in groups of musicians.

As a big fan of The National and Justin Vernon, the folklore announcement was incredible and the music really delivered. This stretch of her career is really fun.. the submissions of Folkore/Evermore and now the song with Big Red Machine, its been incredible content. Aaron Dessner is incredible.

I’m the same way - 1989 made me realize how much talent was there. Loved the last two albums from her - folklore, & evermore. I don’t think she’s peaked yet either. I think she definitely has a masterpiece in her that we haven’t seen yet but are getting closer to.

Reactions: WeThreeKings

Skip Bayless

The Skip Bayless Show
Aug 28, 2014
I’m the same way - 1989 made me realize how much talent was there. Loved the last two albums from her - folklore, & evermore. I don’t think she’s peaked yet either. I think she definitely has a masterpiece in her that we haven’t seen yet but are getting closer to.

The moment I heard the start of this song, I jumped out of my chair. She's a good songwriter.

Skip Bayless

The Skip Bayless Show
Aug 28, 2014
Chiiild is about to release their debut album Hope for Sale. One of the coolest bands to come out of Montreal in recent times.

Saturated Fats

This is water
Jan 24, 2007
Vancouver/Edinburgh
Halfway into the year, and this has been a solid year for music. Already better than 2020, and there are still some bangers to be released.

My 10 favourite albums of the year so far, in no particular order:

Backxwash - I Lie Here Buried with My Rings and My Dresses
Japanese Breakfast - Jubilee
Sweet Trip - A Tiny House, In Secret Speeches, Polar Equals
Bruno Pernadas - Private Reasons
Pupil Slicer - Mirrors

Xiu Xiu - OH NO
Floating Points & Pharaoh Sanders - Promises
Spirit of the Beehive - ENTERTAINMENT, DEATH
black midi - Cavalcade
Yasmin Williams - Urban Driftwood

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
Halfway into the year, and this has been a solid year for music. Already better than 2020, and there are still some bangers to be released.

My 10 favourite albums of the year so far, in no particular order:

Backxwash - I Lie Here Buried with My Rings and My Dresses
Japanese Breakfast - Jubilee
Sweet Trip - A Tiny House, In Secret Speeches, Polar Equals
Bruno Pernadas - Private Reasons
Pupil Slicer - Mirrors

Xiu Xiu - OH NO
Floating Points & Pharaoh Sanders - Promises
Spirit of the Beehive - ENTERTAINMENT, DEATH
black midi - Cavalcade
Yasmin Williams - Urban Driftwood

How was that black midi album? Like crazy and explosive or more subdued? I meant to check it out just forgot.

Thucydides

Dec 24, 2009
Top five for me this year .

5. Japanese Breakfast- Jubilee
4. Faye Webster - I know I’m funny
3. Iceage - seek shelter
2. Mach - Hommy - Pray for Haiti

1. Mdou Moctar - Afrique Victime

ItsFineImFine

Aug 11, 2019
1. Wolf Alice - Blue Weekend
2. Dry Cleaning - New Long Leg
3. Iceage - Seek Shelter
4. Radio Supernova - Takaisin
5. Desperate Journalist - Maximum Sorrow!

Also really like the balance of the Field Music album. I think one of The Joy Formidable or Manic Street Preachers can hopefully get into the top 5 for me, rest of releases from bands I like don't seem like much is happening this year. Maybe Rose Elinor Dougall will do something but she's slow/lazy at putting out stuff it seems.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad