Music: BEST ALBUM OF 2022

Elvis P

Pretzel Logic
Dec 10, 2007
ATL
I follow Neil Young pretty well and I haven’t even heard of a song or album named Toast. I’m looking it up it looks to be a lost album. That dude. Unreal the amount of music.
Best classic rock singer/songwriter. His acoustic and rock music are both awesome. I love his acoustic music but keep on rocking in the free world may be my favorite song of his and rust never sleeps may be my favorite album of his. It was before it's time.

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

The Marquis

Aug 24, 2020
Washougal, WA
Best classic rock singer/songwriter. His acoustic and rock music are both awesome. I love his acoustic music but keep on rocking in the free world may be my favorite song of his and rust never sleeps may be my favorite album of his. It was before it's time.

Rust never sleeps is my fave of his as well. My favorite song of his is The Painter. He’s still putting out solid music. It’s a shame that a day will come when he won’t be putting out new music.

Reactions: Elvis P

Oneiro

Mar 28, 2013
A first in my (millennial) lifetime but genuinely feel like jazz is becoming cooler than rock records these days. Makaya McCraven's record is another one that stands out for me:

Was disappointed in the Alvvays record. I love both Alvvays and Shawn Everett but felt like a little too much of his touch on this one, obscuring the songwriting.

Love Nina Nastasia and the backstory to this one is tragic and wild. That being said, I think it's her weakest record:

The Sault record, for sure, stands out to me. Probably one of the most interesting stories in music, period.

Usually don't go much for this kind of sound, but Two Shell is an exception:

If you like early electronic records, this Oksana Linde compilation was a nice little revelation for me:

I liked Spoon's record too, a return to form for them. And The Smile record was great. I kind of hope they do more with Tom Skinner. Phil Selway will always have a special place for me but Skinner is a technically far more interesting and capable drummer.

Mikeaveli

Sep 25, 2013
Edmonton, AB
Haven't listened to much from this year at all aside from these albums:

Broadcast - Maida Vale Sessions
Jockstrap - I Love You Jennifer B
The Beatles - Revolver (Super Deluxe)

tacogeoff

Jul 18, 2011
Killarney, MB
Nas - Kings Disease III

outstanding album. front to back. What an artist. being able to throw out a classic album after his first one in 1994. longivity in this industry.

Thucydides

Dec 24, 2009
Finally listened to the new Weyes Blood album, and really liked it. Probably sneak into my top 5.

Saturated Fats

This is water
Jan 24, 2007
Vancouver/Edinburgh
Putting my list together, now that it looks like everything's out.

It was an interesting year. I feel like it lost momentum as it went along, after starting out very strong. Only a few records that will likely stay around in my rotation. Think I only bought two hard copies of 2022 releases, too.

The Marquis

Aug 24, 2020
Washougal, WA
Ok, I realize there's nothing coming out that I'm interested enough in to listen to this year... So this is MY 2022 Top 10 favorite albums.

10. City of Caterpillar - Mystic Sisters
9. Kinsella & Pulse - Gimme Altamont
8. Angel Olsen - Big Time
7. Ronnie Martin - From the Womb of the Morning, the Dew of Your Youth Will be Yours
6. Bjork - Fossora
5. Blushing - Possessions
4. Valleyheart - Heal My Head
3. Pool Kids - Pool Kids
2. Alvvays - Blue Rev
1. Soul Glo - Diaspora Problems

Honorable Mentions: Sadistik x Kno - Bring Me Back When the World Is Cured, Half-Handed Cloud - Flutterama, PUP - The Unraveling of PUPTheBand, Bitter Branches - Bitter Branches, Chat Pile - God's Country, Emery - Rub Some Dirt On It, Zola Jesus - ARKHON, Big Thief - Dragon New Warm Mountain I Believe In You, John Van Deusen - (I Am) Origami Pt. 4 - Maraton Daze, Oso Oso - Sore Thumb, Hatchie - Giving the World Away

izlez

We need more toe-drags/60
Feb 28, 2012
Ok, I realize there's nothing coming out that I'm interested enough in to listen to this year... So this is MY 2022 Top 10 favorite albums.

10. City of Caterpillar - Mystic Sisters
9. Kinsella & Pulse - Gimme Altamont
8. Angel Olsen - Big Time
7. Ronnie Martin - From the Womb of the Morning, the Dew of Your Youth Will be Yours
6. Bjork - Fossora
5. Blushing - Possessions
4. Valleyheart - Heal My Head
3. Pool Kids - Pool Kids
2. Alvvays - Blue Rev
1. Soul Glo - Diaspora Problems

Honorable Mentions: Sadistik x Kno - Bring Me Back When the World Is Cured, Half-Handed Cloud - Flutterama, PUP - The Unraveling of PUPTheBand, Bitter Branches - Bitter Branches, Chat Pile - God's Country, Emery - Rub Some Dirt On It, Zola Jesus - ARKHON, Big Thief - Dragon New Warm Mountain I Believe In You, John Van Deusen - (I Am) Origami Pt. 4 - Maraton Daze, Oso Oso - Sore Thumb, Hatchie - Giving the World Away
Mystic Sisters is weird for me. I was initially disappointed. I'm still not exactly blown away, but I do find myself constantly going back to listen to it.

Did you listen to Gospel - The Loser or Magical Volume of Dark Matter? I am definitely enjoying both of those more as comeback records of 2000s screamo bands.

And I don't plan on doing a list, but Celebrity Therapist is easily my personal album of the year.

The Marquis

Aug 24, 2020
Washougal, WA
Mystic Sisters is weird for me. I was initially disappointed. I'm still not exactly blown away, but I do find myself constantly going back to listen to it.

Did you listen to Gospel - The Loser or Magical Volume of Dark Matter? I am definitely enjoying both of those more as comeback records of 2000s screamo bands.

And I don't plan on doing a list, but Celebrity Therapist is easily my personal album of the year.

Forgot to list that Gospel record on the HM's. It's definitely solid and I love that they do some things that are pretty unconventional in Post-Hardcore. The song "Deer Ghost" is a superb example of sort of defying genre's in that context. Also should have listed Atameo's It Sure Is Sad To Hope For the Best While Expecting the Worst in my HM's too. Completely rips.

Reactions: izlez

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
A first in my (millennial) lifetime but genuinely feel like jazz is becoming cooler than rock records these days. Makaya McCraven's record is another one that stands out for me:

Was disappointed in the Alvvays record. I love both Alvvays and Shawn Everett but felt like a little too much of his touch on this one, obscuring the songwriting.

Love Nina Nastasia and the backstory to this one is tragic and wild. That being said, I think it's her weakest record:

The Sault record, for sure, stands out to me. Probably one of the most interesting stories in music, period.

Usually don't go much for this kind of sound, but Two Shell is an exception:

If you like early electronic records, this Oksana Linde compilation was a nice little revelation for me:

I liked Spoon's record too, a return to form for them. And The Smile record was great. I kind of hope they do more with Tom Skinner. Phil Selway will always have a special place for me but Skinner is a technically far more interesting and capable drummer.

Makaya's album made my top ten of the year. I need to finish my list which was done and then SZA and NOFX put out albums lol.

Check out Ben Lamar Gay. His stuff is rad and weird.

Well, you aren’t wrong… and I REALLY liked the Soul Glo and Alvvays albums that came out this year.

Maybe it's just me....I tried the Soul Glo and it just didn't work for me.

I also really got into the first three 1975 albums this year and was super excited for Being Funny....but that album was very underwhelming.

War On Drugs...I just never got them.

Reactions: Oneiro

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad