Music: BEST ALBUM OF 2022

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
Sudan Archives - Natural Brown Prom Queen

So far this is my album of the year. Had this girl on my radar since her last EP.

This is amazing, musically and lyrically. Musically she really does some things in hip hop pop you don’t hear much, if at all.

I'm actually starting with Athena before this one later in the weekend.

I did like new Lizzo.

Ari Lennox is an underrated artist and her album a/s/l which came out last Friday deserves some love.

I will eventually get around to the new Santigold and ye ole reliable Clutch.

This upcoming Friday is the new one from KEN Mode for all you noise rock/underground alternative metal fans.

The Patton/Slayer/Locust supergroup Dead Cross have their second album out later in the fall along with NY indie hardcore band Show Me The Body.

I'm very curious about the second Red Hot Chili Peppers album coming out in October. It's the same sessions as Unlimited Love and a contemporary Rick Rubin production so that's not a great sign, however I'm hoping they have like 3-4 good to great workout songs.

Thucydides

Dec 24, 2009
Few new albums out today - Alvvays, Bonny Light Horseman, Daphni (Caribou)

Listened to Alvvays. It's good, but not really my thing . Still some good tracks on it - Belinda Says was a stand out for me.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax

Listened to Alvvays. It's good, but not really my thing . Still some good tracks on it - Belinda Says was a stand out for me.

Alvvays album was just good.. nothing really stood out. I don't think I'll listen again but won't turn it off if someone wanted to listen to it on a car ride or w/e.

Reactions: Thucydides

Thucydides

Dec 24, 2009
Really enjoyed the new Bonny Light Horseman album. Perfect early morning , driving, rainy day album. Probably in my top 5 of the year .

Edited to say - Gorgeous record from start to finish. Top 3.

Top 5

1. Sudan Archives - Natural Brown Prom Queen
2. Bonny Light Horseman - Rolling Golden Holy
3. Beyoncé - Renaissance
4. Big Thief - Dragon New Warm Mountain
5. Angel Olsen - Big Time

Last edited:

DynastyCentralSports

Oct 14, 2020
California
www.youtube.com
ab67616d0000b273d29b9ead409a2ce8833831a1

Thucydides

Dec 24, 2009
Anyone listen to the new Taylor Swift album? I found it to be just alright. She went back to pop, but without the big hooks of 1989.

I would rank this above Reputation, but below Red, 1989, Evermore, Folklore & Lover.

The Marquis

Aug 24, 2020
Washougal, WA
The new Alvvays record "Blue Rev" RULES. I absolutely love it and is now sitting atop my 2022 faves.

Best songs: Belinda Says, Easy On Your Own, After The Earthquake, Velveteen, Bored in Bristol.

The Marquis

Aug 24, 2020
Washougal, WA
Anyone listen to the new Taylor Swift album? I found it to be just alright. She went back to pop, but without the big hooks of 1989.

I would rank this above Reputation, but below Red, 1989, Evermore, Folklore & Lover.

I did, though I rank it pretty low after one listen. Above 1989 and Red (I'm not a big fan of her early pop sound), but below the rest. I actually really like Reputation, so I figured I'd like this one since it seems to meld the sound on that record with 1989, folklore and evermore, but the songwriting fell flat to me after that lone listen.

The Marquis

Aug 24, 2020
Washougal, WA

I felt the same after the 1st listen, but kept being drawn back to Belinda Says and so I kept putting the record on and after about 4-5 listens through, I was hooked.

Thucydides

Dec 24, 2009
I felt the same after the 1st listen, but kept being drawn back to Belinda Says and so I kept putting the record on and after about 4-5 listens through, I was hooked.

I'll give it another spin. Some of my favourite records have been growers.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax

I'm one listen in, but it's not gonna top 1989, Red, Folklore or Evermore. There's a chance it's better than Lover, Speak Now, etc.

Frankly there's a huge gap between the songs she does with Dessner, the song she did with Lana Del Rey and the two songs she wrote with the group (Karma and Glitch) with the Antonoff songs.

Her and Dessner are absolutely incredible.

The only Antonoff songs that were really good were Marooned, Midnight Rain and Dear Reader. Everything else lacked a punch, a hook, tempo, or something really identifiable.

Thucydides

Dec 24, 2009
I liked the new Arctic Monkeys album as well. Love the strings on it . 7.5/10

The Plains album with Waxahatchee was a fun listen, too, if country/pop/rock is your thing. 7/10

Reactions: The Marquis

Thucydides

Dec 24, 2009
My wife didn’t like the last two but much enjoyed her previous records. Would you compare to the more recent or the cheerful early stuff?

I'd say a mix , but more cheerful with great hooks. I liked it much better than the Taylor album.

The Marquis

Aug 24, 2020
Washougal, WA
I'm definitely enjoying Bjork's Fossora. I didn't really enjoy Utopia and would probably rate that one at the bottom of Bjork's work since Debut. Fossora is is a different monster and while it's inaccessible AF (like Utopia), I'd put it up against Vulnicura or Vespertine in that slot just below the first 3 since Debut. Lots of really cool ideas. Might make my top 25 of the year by the end.

plank

Aug 26, 2008
Long Dark Blues
Alrighty, I think I'm done for the year. I have to admit this was a disappointing year despite some of my favorite artists releasing new music. I still haven't decide if that's because I was more in a mood for straight up rock n roll or maybe it will turn out these were just good(not great) albums. While I do like these albums, none would even sniff my top 5 of 2021. So without further ado, here is my top 10 countdown of 2022:

Caamp - Lavender Days

Elvis P

Pretzel Logic
Dec 10, 2007
ATL
Grammy nominees for 2022 Album of the Year

“Voyage,” ABBA

“30,” Adele

“Un Verano Sin Ti,” Bad Bunny

“Renaissance,” Beyoncé

“Good Morning Gorgeous (Deluxe),” Mary J. Blige

“In These Silent Days,” Brandi Carlile

“Music of the Spheres,” Coldplay

“Mr. Morale & the Big Steppers,” Kendrick Lamar

“Special,” Lizzo

“Harry’s House,” Harry Styles

Last edited:

plank

Aug 26, 2008
Long Dark Blues
“Voyage,” ABBA

“30,” Adele

“Un Verano Sin Ti,” Bad Bunny

“Renaissance,” Beyoncé

“Good Morning Gorgeous (Deluxe),” Mary J. Blige

“In These Silent Days,” Brandi Carlile

“Music of the Spheres,” Coldplay

“Mr. Morale & the Big Steppers,” Kendrick Lamar

“Special,” Lizzo

“Harry’s House,” Harry Styles
I can usually figure out which publication you plagiarize to present "your" favorite albums but you threw me for a loop this year by including albums from last year.

• Haha
Reactions: Pranzo Oltranzista

Elvis P

Pretzel Logic
Dec 10, 2007
ATL
I can usually figure out which publication you plagiarize to present "your" favorite albums but you threw me for a loop this year by including albums from last year.
You got it all wrong, my friend. Those are the Grammy nominations for 2022 Album of the Year. Namaste. I'll pray for you, my son. God bless you.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad