Salary Cap: Bertuzzi's next contract

1878rgw

Jun 29, 2017
But Z was 33 at the time of the surgery and it was known he had back problems, Bert was only 25 and I never heard of this problems before. Recovery is easier when you are younger.

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
But Z was 33 at the time of the surgery and it was known he had back problems, Bert was only 25 and I never heard of this problems before. Recovery is easier when you are younger.
Not really, recovery from back surgeries isn't easy no matter what your age is. And "never heard he had problems before" doesn't matter, if it was bad enough to need back surgery it was very bad by definition.

Reactions: SoupNazi

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
I wouldn't go over 4 years with the back thing, don't care as much about the AAV but somewhere in the low to mid 6 range would be my upper limit on that I guess

ultimately I just really don't see him aging well and hope he gets moved

Reactions: jaster

jaster

Take me off ignore, please.
Jun 8, 2007
The more I think about his next contract, the more I consider the negative factors associated with him, and the more I see some of these upper-end contract suggestions.... the more I want to just see him traded this off-season.

You can't help but love Bertuzzi's game. He's a fan favorite for good reason. Under ideal circumstances, he's one of the "old guys" at the point at which the Wings are truly competitive. He'd be past his prime at that stage, but still carry value. As it is, his back is a concern, I cringe 5 times a game watching him lead with his head in reaching for pucks in the dirty areas, and I suspect he's going to push for an AAV that is just too high for my liking. Meanwhile, he should have very good trade value this offseason.

Package him up and get something great in return if possible.

Scottgaf1

Nov 11, 2020
his season this year is showing he's past the back issue. the team isn't going to be able to lower price due to it.

many teams will be asking about him in the off-season. whether he's traded or not will depend on one thing - what is the offer coming back?

obviously yzerman expects a huge haul to consider any trade for Bert.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
To me if Bert needs 7 or more million per season, I trade him. I think 5 or 6 years at 5.5-6.5 are fair, as I still feel like he is about as high points wise as he is able to go. Lately we have seen him playing not as well as early in the season, and I still think if he doesn't continue to get top line minutes if we get better players his offence will go down, and then his contract won't look as great. I am not opposed to trading Bert, but not for picks/prospects. If we trade him it needs to be to improve the current roster, as picks and prospects "might" get us a Bert in 5+ years unless we get lucky, and we need to start improving the team now, not 5 years from now.

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
his season this year is showing he's past the back issue. the team isn't going to be able to lower price due to it.

many teams will be asking about him in the off-season. whether he's traded or not will depend on one thing - what is the offer coming back?

obviously yzerman expects a huge haul to consider any trade for Bert.
That's not how back issues work. Degenerative issues compound over time.

Scottgaf1

Nov 11, 2020
has his injury been labeled degenerative by team doctors? backs can be muscular, or skeletal. im not sure what he was dealing with.

it is possible it gets worse, and possible his previous injury won't recur.

RedHawkDown

still trying to trust the yzerplan
Aug 26, 2011
Canada
It’s quite unlikely that he has a degenerative back issue at age 26.

Though I’d still look to trade him as I don’t think his game holds up over the course of the contract, and I think once the vaccine mandates are relaxed there are teams that will pay handsomely for him.

Last edited:

HisNoodliness

The Karate Kid and ASP Kai
Jun 29, 2014
Toronto
has his injury been labeled degenerative by team doctors? backs can be muscular, or skeletal. im not sure what he was dealing with.

For some reason I think he had the same surgery as Zetterberg. I think it's something Blashill said, but I can't remember anymore. That was a year ago now and well, I live where weed is legal. Certainly if it was some sort of disk procedure though, it's more likely a question of when in his life he needs a revision, not if. Unfortunately, spinal injuries for professional athletes are rough.

You're right that if he just had a muscle tear in his back or something, he rehabbed it well and takes care of himself, he'll probably be fine. I am under the impression that it was spinal though.

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA

Because we know who his surgeon is and what his surgeon's specialty is. You don't go to Dr Frank Cammisa for a muscle problem. He's a premier orthopedic surgeon who only does spinal surgeries and his area of expertise is disc fusions and replacements.

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
For some reason I think he had the same surgery as Zetterberg. I think it's something Blashill said, but I can't remember anymore. That was a year ago now and well, I live where weed is legal. Certainly if it was some sort of disk procedure though, it's more likely a question of when in his life he needs a revision, not if. Unfortunately, spinal injuries for professional athletes are rough.

You're right that if he just had a muscle tear in his back or something, he rehabbed it well and takes care of himself, he'll probably be fine. I am under the impression that it was spinal though.
It very likely was the same surgery, he had the exact same surgeon who does very specialized back surgeries.

Reactions: HisNoodliness

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Here are some recent comps to keep in mind:

- Taylor Hall - 24/4 - $6M AAV
- Gabriel Landeskog - 56/8 - $7M AAV
- Conor Garland - 24.75/5 - $4.95M AAV
- Josh Anderson - 38.5/7 - $5.5M AAV
- Tyler Toffoli - 17/4 - $4.25M AAV
- Brendan Gallagher - 39/6 - $6.5M AAV
- Anthony Mantha - 22.8/4 - $5.7M AAV
- Oliver Bjorkstrand - 27/5 - $5.4M AAV
How many of those players had a point-per-game season the year before signing their contract?

It's also clear that Hall and Landeskog gave home-town discounts.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Two of them and Hall has a Hart trophy, something Bertuzzi will never have.

Yeah and imagine the reaction when teams try to use the Hall contract as a comp. He walked away from millions in order to play in Boston.

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
Yeah and imagine the reaction when teams try to use the Hall contract as a comp. He walked away from millions in order to play in Boston.
Well Bertuzzi is nowhere near as good as Hall. So even if he walked away from millions that still puts Bert down around 6 million.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
What? This is exactly how you understand your place within the labor market. Looking at what others are making in relation to their skills and roles.
Not when guys explicitly give discounts. The purpose of comps is to figure out what the market determines.

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
Not when guys explicitly give discounts. The purpose of comps is to figure out what the market determines.
And part of how that works is things other than dollars. Bert claims he wants to be in Detroit and doesn't want to leave. So going for blood in negotiations wouldn't be a major motivating factor.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
And part of how that works is things other than dollars. Bert claims he wants to be in Detroit and doesn't want to leave. So going for blood in negotiations wouldn't be a major motivating factor.
Sure, so you get the market comps and then Bert can factor in how much of a discount he wants to give.

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
Sure, so you get the market comps and then Bert can factor in how much of a discount he wants to give.
And you were provided with a list of them. Berts current season is all well and good, but you never pay a player based on one season, or you Clarkson yourself.

Yzerplan91

Mar 15, 2022
Sadly I think it'll be at least 6 year term or he'll test free agency. I know if stevie doesnt get what hes looking for he won't hesitate to trade anyone

If I'm stevie I try and sign bert and larkin same time and go the old redwing route and convince them to maybe take less to help us win . Seider will and should and will be the highest paid player one day unless lady luck hits us with Bedard

Bertuzzi 5.25 x7
Larkin 7.5 x 7 (sorry hes not a true #1c)

As for bert if stevie isn't willing to go longer than 4 years then sure try and convince him with higher salary so he doesnt test free agency and maybe do 6.75 x 4 highest. If we decide to move him after a year or 2 and eat 1.5-2 a team will bite and pay big

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad