Bertuzzi and Moore settled? (MOD WARNING: Post #13)

Johnny LaRue

Jul 21, 2005
Abbotsford
Really liked Bert, but he was an idiot on the ice too often...never liked Moore, and considering he is a money grubbing ***** I still don't like him. Everyone involved in this entire fiasco loses except the bottom feeding lawyers.

Everyone hates lawyers until they need one.

Derp Kassian

Jul 14, 2012
Vancouver
If Moore really wanted his vengeance he would've gone to court. Something tells me theres some details that his camp doesn't want to get out..

Raincouver

Mar 2, 2014
If Moore was seeking $68M, it would be safe to assume that the money he would receive in a settlement would be considerably lower. Anyway, I don't see how Bert could afford $68M.

He's made 47 million in his career before taxes from playing, and made some cash off a commercial for Gatorade in 2003.

The settlement is likely around 25. Bert will probably make some of it by selling some assets and investments. Who knows how liquid he is, but i'm sure he can come up with the money and never have to work again. Otherwise you'd never see a settlement.

DoubleTrouble

Jun 18, 2010
Fraser Valley
vaperbc.com
He's made 47 million in his career before taxes from playing, and made some cash off a commercial for Gatorade in 2003.

The settlement is likely around 25. Bert will probably make some of it by selling some assets and investments. Who knows how liquid he is, but i'm sure he can come up with the money and never have to work again. Otherwise you'd never see a settlement.

The 25 million will come from a few sources Like Bert, Canucks, The NHL and the NHLPA

The NHL, NHLPA and the Canucks would not want the brand damaged.

I would guess Berts part is around 5 million

Wilch

Unregistered User
Mar 29, 2010
Most lawyers are fine - worked with plenty before. It's the litigation lawyers with the crap reputation.

Anyway, I'd be interested to hear how much they settled on.

IntangiBo

Aug 15, 2014
Most lawyers are fine - worked with plenty before. It's the litigation lawyers with the crap reputation.

I think you are referring to personal injury lawyers.

This thread is full of hilarity and nonsense.

TheWanderer

Nov 15, 2013
This thread is to discuss the reported settlement of the lawsuit between Steve Moore and Todd Bertuzzi. This is not the place to discuss whether you feel Bertuzzi's actions were ultimately responsible for Moore's injuries, liability for the injuries or what have you.

If you find yourself unable to abide by this, do not post in this thread. Deletions, infractions and possible thread-closure will result if this is ignored.

The more annoying part of these threads is that it's not even about Canucks...

crazychimp

Jun 24, 2014
Vancouver
Watching Global news right now they say Moore settled for $22 Million, $15 million paid by the NHL Insurance Fund and $7 Million split between Bertuzzi, John McCaw and the Canucks. All speculation of course.

Alflives*

Watching Global news right now they say Moore settled for $22 Million, $15 million paid by the NHL Insurance Fund and $7 Million split between Bertuzzi, John McCaw and the Canucks. All speculation of course.

Who funds the NHL insurance fund? Does anyone else here see the league helping Bert settle to keep the dirty laundry out of the public eye?

Wilch

Unregistered User
Mar 29, 2010

To put things in perspective, Higgins is 31 and has earned $16.5 million in total. He has another 4-5 years of good hockey left to play, and will likely be paid between $1.5~$2.0 million for the next half decade.

Higgins would likely only earn about $5 million more than Moore.

Considering the player Steve Moore was tracking to be, $22 million is more than enough. Averaging $2 million per year for 11 years until age 36.

Burke's Evil Spirit

Oct 29, 2002
San Francisco
To put things in perspective, Higgins is 31 and has earned $16.5 million in total. He has another 4-5 years of good hockey left to play, and will likely be paid between $1.5~$2.0 million for the next half decade.

Higgins would likely only earn about $5 million more than Moore.

Considering the player Steve Moore was tracking to be, $22 million is more than enough. Averaging $2 million per year for 11 years until age 36.

Two things: a players compensation isn't just his salary, there's a large pension that kicks in once you've played a few hundred games or so.
Also, part of Moore's claim deals with the fact that since he still has concussion symptoms, his post-playing-career job prospects are affected too, which presumably affected negotiations.

Anyways, I won't miss this story being dead.

IntangiBo

Aug 15, 2014

Then there's the rest of his life and potential lost earnings.

Not that I think this settlement isn't more than fair.

Wilch

Unregistered User
Mar 29, 2010
Fair points. The premium is mostly for the damages caused, not just the lost salary.

Harold

Aug 17, 2006
Kelowna
Fair points. The premium is mostly for the damages caused, not just the lost salary.

Lost salary is part of Moore's losses and damages.

If you are saying that a lot of the settlement is allocated to "pain and suffering" or non-pecuniary damages, that is incorrect. The cap in Canada for this is roughly $350k for the most severe injuries. The majority of the settlement amount would be made up of past wage loss, future wage loss, and cost of future care.

Harold

Aug 17, 2006
Kelowna
Really liked Bert, but he was an idiot on the ice too often...never liked Moore, and considering he is a money grubbing ***** I still don't like him. Everyone involved in this entire fiasco loses except the bottom feeding lawyers.

Not sure what this means. Moore's lawyer spent TEN years working hard on this case. And judging by the speculation, successfully working at it. He deserves whatever percentage he is going to be paid (likely somewhere between 25 - 40%), recovering millions of dollars in damages for his client.

Intoewsables

Jul 30, 2009
Toronto

Hmm. That's a bit higher than I would have expected, if true.

Wilch

Unregistered User
Mar 29, 2010
Lost salary is part of Moore's losses and damages.

If you are saying that a lot of the settlement is allocated to "pain and suffering" or non-pecuniary damages, that is incorrect. The cap in Canada for this is roughly $350k for the most severe injuries. The majority of the settlement amount would be made up of past wage loss, future wage loss, and cost of future care.

Was not aware of the cap.

I can only imagine how much of a pain in the ass it was to figure out and negotiate between both parties in the "lost salary" as the projection is probably about as hypothetical as it gets. Even some of the more complex corporate deals don't take more than a couple years to complete. Ten years of going back and forth is pretty crazy, now that I think about it.

I suppose the cost of care is nothing to scoff at either.

Jimson Hogarth*

Nov 21, 2013
Hoow many 4th liners make 22 million? Good on him, he sure got Pai$d. C.R.E.A.M and all that you know rubber band staks

it'll be interesting to see what he does. wouldn't surprise me to see him come out with a book. I sincerely doubt he needs every day care, unless its the ;) kind of every day care in which case I needs that too

Canucker

Go Hawks!
Oct 5, 2002
Oak Point, Texas
Not sure what this means. Moore's lawyer spent TEN years working hard on this case. And judging by the speculation, successfully working at it. He deserves whatever percentage he is going to be paid (likely somewhere between 25 - 40%), recovering millions of dollars in damages for his client.

Yep, I'm sure he poured his blood, sweat and tears into this case for TEN years. :laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad