Bertuzzi and Frk re-signed

Nut Upstrom

You dirty dog!
Dec 18, 2010
Florida
Nice signings, I like Frk as a depth guy and that's a good deal for Bert. Give him two years to keep progressing, as he's still showing he has some untapped upside.

shanman

Jun 23, 2018
AA is pretty much confirmed gone at this point.
maybe not confirmed, but getting zadina and veleno puts a lot of pressure on AA. Think either svech or AA goes at this point, depends on the perceived value each has by other teams that might have the defense piece the wings covet.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
There is a push for a one winger out.

But it could be as well Nyqust as Athanasiou. Athanasiou sill has multiple RFA years left, but Nyquist is becoming UFA.

Mantha - Zetterberg - Nyquist <--- Zadina pressure
Rasmussen - Larkin - Athanasiou <--- Zadina pressure
Abdelkader - Nielsen - Svechnikov
Helm - Glendening - Bertuzzi
(Frk, Pope, Witkowski)

Veleno will jump in when Zetterberg retires.

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
There is a push for a one winger out.

But it could be as well Nyqust as Athanasiou. Athanasiou sill has multiple RFA years left, but Nyquist is becoming UFA.

Mantha - Zetterberg - Nyquist <--- Zadina pressure
Rasmussen - Larkin - Athanasiou <--- Zadina pressure
Abdelkader - Nielsen - Svechnikov
Helm - Glendening - Bertuzzi
(Frk, Pope, Witkowski)

Veleno will jump in when Zetterberg retires.

AA should be on the third line. He doesn't deserve top 6 minutes based on his performance last season. He didn't increase his scoring pace with second line minutes, so keep him on the third line where he's going to score the same number of points anyway, but won't be likely to shit the by blowing his coverage or taking shifts off against the other team's top talent.

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
I thought Frk wasn't getting re-signed. what am I missing here?

I wonder if re-signing him after saying he won't be back means they caught a whiff that some team was interested in him and they are trying to flip him for a late round pick now?

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
maybe not confirmed, but getting zadina and veleno puts a lot of pressure on AA. Think either svech or AA goes at this point, depends on the perceived value each has by other teams that might have the defense piece the wings covet.

11 forwards (If you include Larkin and Mantha) signed before Rasmussen, Svechnikov, and possibly Zadina come up. I think it's inevitable that AA goes and Nyquist will probably be soon to follow.

Khan also said that in the same article, That he feels that AA will be with Detroit this year and then possibly dealt next year.

They're going to have to move somebody. AA is easier than Nyquist due to the NTC, but I suppose I could see moving Nyquist over AA as it'd be the best way to get more value out of AA. Hope he puts up 40-50 points next season.

shanman

Jun 23, 2018
11 forwards (If you include Larkin and Mantha) signed before Rasmussen, Svechnikov, and possibly Zadina come up. I think it's inevitable that AA goes and Nyquist will probably be soon to follow.

They're going to have to move somebody. AA is easier than Nyquist due to the NTC, but I suppose I could see moving Nyquist over AA as it'd be the best way to get more value out of AA. Hope he puts up 40-50 points next season.
id love to be wrong, but i would be veryyyyy surprised to see ras and svech both starting the season with the wings. I would be extremely shocked to see all 3 start the season with the wings. That is a huge influx of youth all at once, and just don't see holland having enough confidence in the rest of the team to do that.

Would love to be wrong though.

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
id love to be wrong, but i would be veryyyyy surprised to see ras and svech both starting the season with the wings. I would be extremely shocked to see all 3 start the season with the wings. That is a huge influx of youth all at once, and just don't see holland having enough confidence in the rest of the team to do that.

Would love to be wrong though.

Rasmussen almost seems like a guarantee at this point, which puts us at 12 forwards. Granted, Witkowski can easily be subbed out.

And I could be way off, but the idea I have in my head is that they should be trying to get Zetterberg to mentor Zadina as much as they can. I don't think he'll be around in 2-3 years.

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida

But at the same time Khan did say that he see's AA being dealt before Svechnikov, So there's that.

shanman

Jun 23, 2018
m
Rasmussen almost seems like a guarantee at this point, which puts us at 12 forwards. Granted, Witkowski can easily be subbed out.

And I could be way off, but the idea I have in my head is that they should be trying to get Zetterberg to mentor Zadina as much as they can. I don't think he'll be around in 2-3 years.
my guess is that ras stays up just because only other place they can send him is back to where he was last year, which would just be stupid at this point. As long as zadina can have a strong camp/preseason think he has a better than 50 percent chance to make it up. Wouldn't be surprised to see svech odd man out to start season.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
m

my guess is that ras stays up just because only other place they can send him is back to where he was last year, which would just be stupid at this point. As long as zadina can have a strong camp/preseason think he has a better than 50 percent chance to make it up. Wouldn't be surprised to see svech odd man out to start season.
Either way both Zadina or Ras will be in a league they're to too good for if they don't make the team.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Rasmussen in definitely done with junior hockey. Over and out.

If Zadina is not NHL ready, they should explore options at Europe. Like KHL and Jokerit, replacing Eeli Tolvanen.

1 year there and come back after the trade deadline, when Nyquist is gone.

Just like Tolvanen joined Predators before the end of the regular season, and still played until the KHL Conference finals.

It would be totally possible, that Zadina joins some KHL team, plays the season until the end there, and joins Detroit for last 9 games of the regular season. And that won't burn a year from his ELC. But he has the place to play and develop in tougher competition.

shanman

Jun 23, 2018
Rasmussen in definitely done with junior hockey. Over and out.

If Zadina is not NHL ready, they should explore options at Europe. Like KHL and Jokerit, replacing Eeli Tolvanen.

1 year there and come back after the trade deadline, when Nyquist is gone.

Just like Tolvanen joined Predators before the end of the regular season, and still played until the KHL Conference finals.

It would be totally possible, that Zadina joins some KHL team, plays the season until the end there, and joins Detroit for last 9 games of the regular season. And that won't burn a year from his ELC. But he has the place to play and develop in tougher competition.
dont they have different rink sizes over there n those leagues? Don't want to have him bouncing back and forth between rink sizes. Personally i just hope he is given the chance to be with the big club and get some veteran mentorship vs going overseas. Think his body type is that in which he isn't going to be thrown around out there at least.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
I guess that could be an option too. But I honestly see them both on the opening night roster.

I may be optimistic, but Zadina should be on the club next year - he's right there.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
dont they have different rink sizes over there n those leagues? Don't want to have him bouncing back and forth between rink sizes. Personally i just hope he is given the chance to be with the big club and get some veteran mentorship vs going overseas. Think his body type is that in which he isn't going to be thrown around out there at least.

I don't think 6 months in a different league would matter at all in the big picture. That would eat one ELC year, which could be smart move with salary cap. Then he would still get the NHL taste after 73-game mark.

He could also join a Slovakian KHL team Bratislava, where is a lot of both Slovak and Czech veterans mentoring him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad