Bernie Nicholls dirty play at the end of game 6 1994 ECF

tailgunner

Jan 8, 2008
The other night they played game 6 of this game on MSG but this time they played the ESPN coverage of the game with Bill Clement and Gary Thorne doing the play by play.

I never heard this version of the game in it's entirety ever before except for the highlights of the goals over the years.

Funny observation...Bernie Nicholls with less than a minute left in the game purposely and dangerously fires the puck at Glenn Anderson and hits him with the puck in the back. Bill and Gary immediately declare this
a dirty and senseless act and suggest Bernie should get suspended for the next game.

If you hear the Devils broadcast of the game with Doc Emrick and Peter Mcnabb this incident is not even discussed or mentioned. Just a funny observation by me. But in reality Bernie really looks a lowlife doing
something like that towards the end of the game. A real dirty and crappy play by Bernie

JT Kreider

FIRE GORDIE CLARK
Dec 24, 2010
NYC
The other night they played game 6 of this game on MSG but this time they played the ESPN coverage of the game with Bill Clement and Gary Thorne doing the play by play.

I never heard this version of the game in it's entirety ever before except for the highlights of the goals over the years.

Funny observation...Bernie Nicholls with less than a minute left in the game purposely and dangerously fires the puck at Glenn Anderson and hits him with the puck in the back. Bill and Gary immediately declare this
a dirty and senseless act and suggest Bernie should get suspended for the next game.

If you hear the Devils broadcast of the game with Doc Emrick and Peter Mcnabb this incident is not even discussed or mentioned. Just a funny observation by me. But in reality Bernie really looks a lowlife doing
something like that towards the end of the game. A real dirty and crappy play by Bernie

Lmao I'm watching this right now. That was cheap as hell, as were so many other little things the Devils did once the tide started to turn.

How about that horrific turnover that lead to the 2nd Messier goal by Carpenter, who got deked out of his skates by Leetch on the previous goal

Last edited:

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Nicholls was a hell of a player. Might be a Hall of Famer one day. I don't think he wanted to leave the Rangers and the timing was awful--his wife was having pregnancy issues of some kind or other.

NYSPORTS

back afta dis. . .
Jun 17, 2019
Bernie may have been embarrassed and frustrated as Messier’s 2nd goal was on him (stevens was back slow too). Messier stick plowed through Bernie’s skate to the puck which went in while Bernie went down

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
Underrated thing about the Rangers winning that year was depriving Nicholls of a Cup. The Devils won without him the next season.

Reactions: TheBloodyNine

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
The thing that I remember about watching Bernie in that series was how much it felt like forever since he was a Ranger.

In reality it was only about 30 months later. But he felt so much older and like a part of a long-distant era.
I remember waiting outside the Garden after a game while Bernie was a Ranger. He came out of the clubhouse wearing a fur coat.
My 16 year old self was impressed.

Reactions: drewcon40

Boris Zubov

No relation to Sergei, Joe
May 6, 2016
Back on the east coast
Always like Bernie. He made the franchise legit. They were going nowhere before that trade. All-star weekend ‘90 in Pittsburgh when it happened and Nicholls was there. He played for the Campbell but I think he was already a Ranger by then.

1990 was a fun season. First division title since 1940. John Druce, man.

Game 4 of that series still bugs me.

Adam Fox Time

Jan 1, 2020
Bernie Nicholls is a throwback player.

Did you know he has two 100-point seasons (one without Gretzky) and is one of 5 players in NHL history with a 150-point season?

Reactions: eco's bones

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad