Bergs on 690

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Marc Bergevin appeared on Chris Nilan show yesterday....a few of his comments:

- Entered the dressing on Jan. 25 and addressed the team. Following a 5-0 loss to Washington. He wanted the players to accept accountability with way team was playing. When players accept accountability when things are going bad it builds character. Learns them to play through adversity. You can't build character in a team when everything is going good. When the team is winning and players are getting all the allocates. In 2000, he was playing for St.Louis, Blues had a great season, never losing more than 3 in a row all year. In the playoffs they played good team and bounces when against them, team fell to pieces as it couldn't deal with adversity.

- Weaver he wanted to add depth on the blueline. As often defensemen go down this time of year. There is no subsitute for depth. They knew Weaver does good stick work and block shots. But said he looks for the size of the fight in the dog, not size of the dog in a fight. When acquiring a player.

- Vanek he would do over even if he doesn't re-sign and Collberg goes on to be good career. Hard to land the top player at deadline. Deadline time usually depth players he able to get. Vanek he liked as he is dangerous around the net. Hard to knock off the puck down low. Makes those short quick, shots or passes around the net. At end of night you don't notice him all game but he will end up with 2 points, including game winning goal. Will sit down with Vanek at end of season and see if he will sign here.

- Gionta's leadership abilities are off the chart. Can log a lot of minutes, responsible defensively, accepts accountability. Practices hard as any player on team.

- Will continue to look for players with size and strength with skill through the draft. As only way to acquire them. Teams hardly ever will trade you a big, strong player with talent.

- Terrein and PK get along great. Both are on same page. When he looked for a coach, thing he looked for was ability to teach the young players. Bergevin said look how Subban has come along under Terrein. Since the lock-out Terrein has 7th best winning percentage of any coach in NHL, at 62.3%

Dagistitsyn

Aug 27, 2011
Nova Scotia
- Will continue to look for players with size and strength with skill through the draft. As only way to acquire them. Teams hardly ever will trade you a big, strong player with talent.

Except for the one you just landed. :sarcasm: The MOST talented of any that was available through trade.. now find a way to keep him here please

PricePkPatch*

Marc Bergevin appeared on Chris Nilan show yesterday....a few of his comments:

I second the thanks for writing all that. I'll go listen to it myself! but first, lemme comment...

- Entered the dressing on Jan. 25 and addressed the team. Following a 5-0 loss to Washington. He wanted the players to accept accountability with way team was playing. When players accept accountability when things are going bad it builds character. Learns them to play through adversity. You can't build character in a team when everything is going good. When the team is winning and players are getting all the allocates. In 2000, he was playing for St.Louis, Blues had a great season, never losing more than 3 in a row all year. In the playoffs they played good team and bounces when against them, team fell to pieces as it couldn't deal with adversity.

that's a very good point, if you think about it. Just remembers our 2010 run; the team had had very bad times during the season, but they rallied together and build spirit during goods and bads.

Certain super-loaded teams collapse in the 1st round because everything always went well and they panicked when things didn't went their way.

- Weaver he wanted to add depth on the blueline. As often defensemen go down this time of year. There is no subsitute for depth. They knew Weaver does good stick work and block shots. But said he looks for the size of the fight in the dog, not size of the dog in a fight. When acquiring a player.

I love that quote :laugh:

- Vanek he would do over even if he doesn't re-sign and Collberg goes on to be good career. Hard to land the top player at deadline. Deadline time usually depth players he able to get. Vanek he liked as he is dangerous around the net. Hard to knock off the puck down low. Makes those short quick, shots or passes around the net. At end of night you don't notice him all game but he will end up with 2 points, including game winning goal. Will sit down with Vanek at end of season and see if he will sign here.

Agreed on all count. Good for him trying to get Vanek to sign back.

- Gionta's leadership abilities are off the chart. Can log a lot of minutes, responsible defensively, accepts accountability. Practices hard as any player on team.

Probably best example is the way he performs since being put on the 3rd line. Certain players would sulk; not Gio.

And sign undrafted players from the NCAA :yo:

Keep up that good work, MB. McCarron, DLR.. good size acquisitions.

- Terrein and PK get along great. Both are on same page. When he looked for a coach, thing he looked for was ability to teach the young players. Bergevin said look how Subban has come along under Terrein. Since the lock-out Terrein has 7th best winning percentage of any coach in NHL, at 62.3%

PR damage control or heartfelt comment? YOU DECIDE

Oh well. Listened to Subban's interview made today, and Subban isn't crushed in his confidence, while making perfectly clear he doesn't like the way he performed yesterday, and needs to be more consistent.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
I second the thanks for writing all that. I'll go listen to it myself! but first, lemme comment...

that's a very good point, if you think about it. Just remembers our 2010 run; the team had had very bad times during the season, but they rallied together and build spirit during goods and bads.

Certain super-loaded teams collapse in the 1st round because everything always went well and they panicked when things didn't went their way.

I love that quote :laugh:

Agreed on all count. Good for him trying to get Vanek to sign back.

Probably best example is the way he performs since being put on the 3rd line. Certain players would sulk; not Gio.

And sign undrafted players from the NCAA :yo:

Keep up that good work, MB. McCarron, DLR.. good size acquisitions.

PR damage control or heartfelt comment? YOU DECIDE

Oh well. Listened to Subban's interview made today, and Subban isn't crushed in his confidence, while making perfectly clear he doesn't like the way he performed yesterday, and needs to be more consistent.

I like to listen to GM like Bergs talk. That is how you learn what is really going on behind the game. Players like Bergs played in league a long while. Imagine he picked up most from the Bowmans in Chicago and coaches like Joel Quenneville. Serge Savard was a very good listen to also back in the his day. How he learned from others on making money or running the Habs. In ventures like horse racing, which John Ferguson got him into. Or the Habs, those years under Sam Pollock, incorporating Quebec players who played with passion. Because they understood the intense media pressure in Montreal. Guys like Roy, Lemieux or Carbonneau. Kind of ironic, but he said that in an interview after he was fired. Later on, all of those 3 went on to play tangible roles in winning cups elsewhere.

PricePkPatch*

Somebody else listening to the Bergevin interview by Ron Fournier?

Good stuff so far. Claims to be most proud of desharnais, because he appreciate most players who manage to drag themselves out of the dumpster.

- claim patience is the most important thing regarding Eller. That the right thing to do is not to trade him, but to properly sourround him.

- Say that Therrien's record speaks for itself. Him and his assistants. Stability in leadership is an important thing.

- Said same thing regarding his attitude after the 5-0 loss to Washington than in previous interview.

- Had started negotiations days ahead for the Vanek trade, but didn't liked the initial demands. He basically stayed the course and didn't yielded anything more than what he was willing to trade away. And it worked. (Never play chicken with Bergevin)

- Understands that Vanek can go wherever he wants. And that seducing him will only go so far. It will be up to Vanek in the end.

- say that negotiation with Vanek is not something he will discuss publicly. But their happening is "possible" :P

- Likes Gionta, because he gives the same message that the organization as a whole is trying to get across when it comes to character. Would rather have a smaller team who compete in adversity than a larger team who drag their feet.

- Regarding acquiring a "strong man" (fighter) --> he looked at our division; with Boston, Toronto and Buffalo. He compared it to moving into a bad neighbourhood. You either set up a security system or you move out. Habs can't move out, so he felt Parros was needed.

- Weaver is detail-oriented, he block shots, he uses his stick well, kill plays, moves the puck nice. And he plays physical.

- PK Subban --> meh. Not much said about that

- Gotta see if all RFAs and UFA on the team are willing to get on board at the price we can afford them. If they cannot, then we're going to have to cut some people from our roster.

- One step at a time when it comes to the future. First things first --> make the playoffs.

Last edited by a moderator:

BlackStar

Aug 12, 2010

Good stuff so far. Claims to be most proud of desharnais, because he appreciate most players who manage to drag themselves out of the dumpster.

- claim patience is the most important thing regarding Eller. That the right thing to do is not to trade him, but to properly sourround him.

- Say that Therrien's record speaks for itself. Him and his assistants. Stability in leadership is an important thing.

- Said same thing regarding his attitude after the 5-0 loss to Washington than in previous interview.

- Had started negotiations days ahead for the Vanek trade, but didn't liked the initial demands. He basically stayed the course and didn't yielded anything more than what he was willing to trade away. And it worked. (Never play chicken with Bergevin)

- Understands that Vanek can go wherever he wants. And that seducing him will only go so far. It will be up to Vanek in the end.

- say that negotiation with Vanek is not something he will discuss publicly. But their happening is "possible" :P

- Likes Gionta, because he gives the same message that the organization as a whole is trying to get across when it comes to character. Would rather have a smaller team who compete in adversity than a larger team who drag their feet.

- Regarding acquiring a "strong man" (fighter) --> he looked at our division; with Boston, Toronto and Buffalo. He compared it to moving into a bad neighbourhood. You either set up a security system or you move out. Habs can't move out, so he felt Parros was needed.

- Weaver is detail-oriented, he block shots, he uses his stick well, kill plays, moves the puck nice. And he plays physical.

- Gotta see if all RFAs and UFA on the team are willing to get on board at the price we can afford them. If they cannot, then we're going to have to cut some people from our roster.

- One step at a time when it comes to the future. First things first --> make the playoffs.

I like Bergevin.

PricePkPatch*

Ron > the rest

AINEC

He's currently calling out Laraque for saying that Parros didn't "do the job". He claims that at least Parros tried to his last breath, which you couldn't say the same for Laraque, who failed as miserably.

sheed36

Jan 8, 2005
No Man's Land

Thanks for the post.. I wouldn't mind letting Bouillon go and keeping Weaver around for next year to take Bouillon's place.

Patccmoi

Aug 11, 2010
Was a nice interview with Ron, but I'm really not happy at the very likely possibility of Therrien + Gionta coming back.

PricePkPatch*

Was a nice interview with Ron, but I'm really not happy at the very likely possibility of Therrien + Gionta coming back.

Gio at lower price wouldn't bother me that much, to be honest... He's a damn fine 3rd liner.

Therrien? While he's had his hiccups, I don't see why you people keep wanting him fired. He gets result, and this team is sewn tighter than ever under his care.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012

I was distracted when Ron asked Bergs about Therrien's contractual situation. Ron said something about the message it would send when a coach only has one year left on his contract. What exactly did Bergs say about re-signing Therrien?

Johnny B Good

Sep 21, 2011
I just heard on TSn690 that Bergevin got a 7th round from Leafs in exhange for the loan of Youppi?? Is this ****ing serious?

EDIT : 1st of april, i guess...

Patccmoi

Aug 11, 2010
I was distracted when Ron asked Bergs about Therrien's contractual situation. Ron said something about the message it would send when a coach only has one year left on his contract. What exactly did Bergs say about re-signing Therrien?

Just the way he talks about it and praises him. He did not say anything directly about re-signing him, just points this way. Same thing for Gionta.

MasterDecoy

Who took my beer?
May 4, 2010
Beijing
as much as it would be this board's fantasy, bergy can't fire therrien with the record he has. but fear not, he'll eventually overextend his welcome :nod:

Kingbobert

Jul 15, 2005
Montreal
hey lacracque (yes i mispelled it on purpose), the only year boston dominated us was the year you were supposed to be our enforcer....hmmmmm so you were less useful than no enforcer how about you **** hunh?
1-3-2 in regular season and then 0-4 in the playoffs....:shakehead

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
AINEC

He's currently calling out Laraque for saying that Parros didn't "do the job". He claims that at least Parros tried to his last breath, which you couldn't say the same for Laraque, who failed as miserably.

The big difference between Parros and Laraque is Parros would piss off some people if he had to to defend a teammate, Laraque was all about being nice to everybody and his image.

Habs 4 Life

No Excuses
Mar 30, 2005
Montreal
Gio at lower price wouldn't bother me that much, to be honest... He's a damn fine 3rd liner.

Therrien? While he's had his hiccups, I don't see why you people keep wanting him fired. He gets result, and this team is sewn tighter than ever under his care.

Some might be mad but I really wouldn't be surprised if Gionta is brought back for another 2 years. But hopefully it's going to be not more then 3 million and he will have to move Bourque this summer. Gionta is a solid 3rd liner, Therrien just needs to realize that and not overplay him

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad