Bergs on 690

Phil Parent

Sorel, 'fant d'chienne!
Feb 4, 2005
Sorel-Tracy, Quebec
I eagerly await your video proof.

His hair adds an inch. 6'3" :sarcasm:. Plus some guys wear lifts in their skates. At least they did in the Q, not sure about in the pros. SO they're bigger on the ice.

Always found it dumb, but I understand the thing about trying to look bigger for the scouts, but they get you off the skates for the combine so....

rockjngo

Oct 31, 2011
The thing with DLR is he skates like the wind 10/10 but his hands are like 7/10. Which is why he's gonna be a bottom shutdown forward.

Collberg on the other hand has 8/10 hands and 8/10 skating.

Phil Parent

Sorel, 'fant d'chienne!
Feb 4, 2005
Sorel-Tracy, Quebec
The thing with DLR is he skates like the wind 10/10 but his hands are like 7/10. Which is why he's gonna be a bottom shutdown forward.

Oh yeah, DLR has 8,5 skills points on average and Collberg's got 8. So, Collberg is an AHL/SEL guy.

overlords

#DefundCBC
Aug 16, 2008
The City

Don,t need the best hands to score goals. Remember higgins when he first started playing for us? hands like stone but when you're quick and you have great hockey sense, you can make **** happen.

Or I have a fetish for basement dwelling men's shorts?

You either have a fantastic memory, which I doubt, on account of how old you are, or that was a great guess.

How the hell did you know I lived in a basement? :laugh:

FloJack

Lurking and liking.
Sponsor
Sep 6, 2006

You share a lot on here, I know facts about you.

At first I didn't think you were funny but then you grew on me. The former being mostly cause I can be a jerk. Anyway, I don't think it's too hard for regulars to know some things about you.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
When Bergs says about trade value not there on rentals this year, something he plans to prepare for in future. Can't help but think offers on Markov was lower than members of this board were predicting.

JayKing

Go Habs Go
Dec 30, 2011
Montreal
When Bergs says about trade value not there on rentals this year, something he plans to prepare for in future. Can't help but think offers on Markov was lower than members of this board were predicting.

Obviously. If Vanek was traded for Collberg and a 2nd while Moulson traded for 2 2nds, there's no way Markov would've gotten Pearson + 1st or Toffoli straight up :laugh:

groovejuice

Without deviation progress is not possible
Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
Obviously. If Vanek was traded for Collberg and a 2nd while Moulson traded for 2 2nds, there's no way Markov would've gotten Pearson + 1st or Toffoli straight up :laugh:

There was no way to predict the offers for rentals would drop so substantially in one year.

By 2013 standards, roster + prospect + 1st would have been a reasonable assumption.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
There was no way to predict the offers for rentals would drop so substantially in one year.

By 2013 standards, roster + prospect + 1st would have been a reasonable assumption.

GMs must have realized they were over paying. Now worth giving up that much future compared to small percentage it improves them.

Agnostic

11 Stanley Cups
Jun 24, 2007

I don't think Markov was on his mind because I don't think Markov was ever going to be rented out.

But yeah you have to adjust to the market. I think we'll see a return to the 1st round pick price but it will need to be a game changing player for a team in dire need.

PricePkPatch*

I agree with you that it was a reasonable assumption, but you know as well as I that had we not acquired Vanek (and thus officially made a statement for as deep a playoff run as we can muster), that many people would have blasted MB for not selling Markov.

Thing is, selling Markov was not worth it in such a buyer's maker. Not in any metric.

Habnot

Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
I won't necessarily agree with having other players to make up for losing Collberg. Collberg is bigger than most of them. Have a thicker body than most of them. And Hudon isn't the same player than Collberg is. Hudon doesn't possess top 6 natural skilled qualities. Players that do, like Reway, Andrighetto and Lehkonen, looks more frail than him and/or smaller. I would bet that while he does believe it too, they also bet that he had more things to work on than the others. Though.....it's not necessarily true 'cause a guy like Reway has A WHOLE LOT to work on as well.....Which makes me also believe that Reway might have been in the mix as well but it's the Isles that asked for Collberg in the end.

In the end, we should always be careful with "But we had a similar package" every time a deal happens. Chances are we didn't have a similar package 'cause the other team might have wanted THAT guy. And while WE think that our guy is equivalent to THAT guy.....well it might not be the case for the team you trade with. I guess that the only way you can say that is when it only involves picks. Yet, what's better a 3rd in 2014 and a 5th in 2015 to Ottawa? Or a to Montréal? What is the evaluation of our team or the Sens team or any team that you're getting draft picks? Are those teams going to be better or worst than us? Does it matter, do they take that into consideration? I guess they do for 2014, surely less for 2015 as everything can happen.....

The knock on Collberg has always been that he has a small frame. Lekhonen and Andrighetto are definitely play more physical than Collberg. They are playing well against men. Collberg can't make a place for himself.

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
The knock on Collberg has always been that he has a small frame. Lekhonen and Andrighetto are definitely play more physical than Collberg. They are playing well against men. Collberg can't make a place for himself.

Again, your hesitation to play physical have nothing to do with how big your frame is. I was talking about the frame here and I've seen all of those guys up close and personal. And Collberg looks fine for a 5'11 180 lbs. Now, again, when it's about the overall package of a player, well this also is to be taken into consideration. If the guy doesn't want to play physical and avoid contact at all costs, well that's a big knock against him. And could have been also part of the discussion amongst the Habs brass. But frame for frame, Reway and Andrighetto looked so much smaller than Collberg. Even Hudon look smaller.

yianik

Jun 30, 2009

When I heard the LA rumoured offer of 1st, Pearson and Clifford I proposed Markov in a package to get a high quality young scorer. This assumed a good amount of value in Markov. Maybe last year it would have had some chance, dunno, this year I was completely off base and was like trying to trade a neon for a porsche by throwing in floor mats and a spoiler.

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002
Don,t need the best hands to score goals. Remember higgins when he first started playing for us? hands like stone but when you're quick and you have great hockey sense, you can make **** happen.

You either have a fantastic memory, which I doubt, on account of how old you are, or that was a great guess.

Wtf I'm not old! You forget that offline I actually have a business that depends on just an ounce of memory retention and brains .

RealityBytes

Trash Remover
Feb 11, 2013

Sorry but it never was a reasonable assumption for this year and not all people missed it. GMs have been keeping their 1st round picks very close and none were trading their future throughout this year and even last. It was glaringly obvious things were changing. It's just that a lot of people on these boards grossly overvalue their players and do not realize that there has to be buyers for what they want to sell. It was not a seller's market and GMs weren't "drooling to get Markov" as many here were hoping; hoping and not looking at things realistically. All many ever used as counter examples of Markov not bringing exorbitant return value was the overpaid Kaberle trade and expected/hoped that to be the norm instead of it being an older exception versus what was really going on with most trades.

The only 1st rounder involved in a trade was with Miller and Ott to St. Louis from Buffalo, and Miller and Ott are worth a lot more than a 35 year old defenseman with bad knees. Even then, Buffalo also retained part of Miller's salary and the 1st is conditional that St.Louis makes the finals else it is gone.

The Vanek trade though shouldn't be the example of how low things have dropped. Don't forget Vanek was offered to Toronto and Vancouver (and maybe Minnesota as well) first but they wanted him signed and neither wanted to give good assets for only a rent-a-player. As well, caps were tight and in a deal NY had to retain salary to get anything from them but didn't want to so the others backed out. Garth Snow got himself caught in a time deadline trap and was forced to sell at bargain basement prices right at the deadline else he would have got nothing at all. MB checked his watch, held his ground and got Vanek for very little. A well done move by MB. This like the Kaberle trade though is also not the norm so it shouldn't be used as a guideline for future trade value either.

•Hope Smoke: Darren Dreger: ”The Leafs were relatively quiet, but the Leafs more than kicked tires on Vanek. They were big players on that” … ”The Leafs were one of three teams, maybe more, that pretty much brought it down right down to the wire on Vanek.” ”Nonis made it abundantly clear that he wasn’t going to give up assets unless it was for a hockey deal, not a rental”

•Steve Mears: Isles GM Snow on the difficulty of trading Vanek: ”There was a player (Kesler) in play, which delayed the process around the league.”

•Chris Nichols: Islanders GM Garth Snow said they didn’t get an offer for Thomas Vanek until after noon on trade deadline day.

Last edited:

Brainiac

Registered Offender
Feb 17, 2013
Montreal
Which very well could be the reason Markov and Gionta are still wearing the Habs uniform.

It's not even a conditional statement. It's clear that Markov would've got you a 2nd and mid-level prospect AT THE VERY BEST. And Gionta? Maybe a 3rd or 4th round pick.

It's clear that Bergevin got a few calls for his UFAs, but it was a buyers market big time and he made the right move. You don't get rid of a guy like Markov for a 2nd round pick.

I also agree that there was probably some 'backlash' from last year, when most of the buyers overpaid at the deadline. I remember that Bergevin said after last year's deadline that he targeted a few guys, but the asking price was going up too much to his taste.

overlords

#DefundCBC
Aug 16, 2008
The City
Wtf I'm not old! You forget that offline I actually have a business that depends on just an ounce of memory retention and brains .

Did you start this particular business because all it required was that one ounce of memory retention and brains?

:sarcasm:

I kid. I know you're no teufelsdreck. :p:

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
When I heard the LA rumoured offer of 1st, Pearson and Clifford I proposed Markov in a package to get a high quality young scorer. This assumed a good amount of value in Markov. Maybe last year it would have had some chance, dunno, this year I was completely off base and was like trying to trade a neon for a porsche by throwing in floor mats and a spoiler.

The price for rentals have been too high in recent years. Teams are starting to realize giving up a large chunk of their future for a player likely around for 2-3 months not worth it. Then something MB said in interview came on strong to me...he said being traded many times, he knows it takes time for a player to fit in with new team. So if you only have the player for short time, have to gamble he fits in with your team rather quickly.

Joe Lamb

Mar 12, 2004
downeast

I'm no scout but I saw DLR live for 3 games at the 2014 World Jrs and my impressions were that he had great hands and average skating. The winning goal against the Russians in the roundrobin was a great tip from the slot. I saw stick checks that stole the puck, soft passes , good shots from the slot and smart work along the boards. I was most impressed by his hockey sense of where to be on the ice, especially defensively. He may end up as a 3rd or 4th liner but I hope for more based as much as anything on that great hockey sense.

DLR looked to be taller than Collberg by at least 2 inches and the 6' 2" stated seems reasonable to me. He doesn't carry much weight and a year or 2 more will be needed before he plays pro in my opinion. But he is my favorite forward prospect.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad