Confirmed with Link: Berglund signs 5 year $19.25M extension

Alklha

Sep 7, 2011
I really love this signing. Berglund essentially signed for what we were already paying him. It takes him to age 33. He has repeatedly stepped it up in big games and playoff games despite working through on ongoing injury that looks to be history now.
Berglund is a player whose point totals don't justify his true value. He finishes his hits, and looks to be better at using his size for puck possession and much more confident lately. Also, I love having my favorite player on the team. I truly believe he is an ingredient in the recipe for the cup.

How I feel about this signing is going to complete rest on the vision of the team going forward. If Armstrong is viewing Stastny and Berglund as our #2C & #3C for the next 5 seasons, we should all be very seriously concerned.

As for Berglund in the playoffs, I've had this argument before. He was poor at centre in 2013 & 2014. In 2015 he was a full time LW, and last season he was splitting time at LW & C. When we are talking about Berglund in the playoffs, his usage and linemates are an important factor.

If we've signed Berglund as a LW, I am completely fine with this deal. It means that Fabbri either transitions to centre or we should be looking to move Schwartz to address our need at centre. Berglund is more effective on LW, can be a second line option in that role, offers centre depth and can help Barbashev with his development in the centre role.

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
I would be 'okey' with Sobotka 1-year and then Barbashev full time job in 3rd c. Ofc next year Barby in NHL lineup bottom 6 winger/center. Lehterä's contract is the problem.

Are we in trouble give Parayko bridge deal? If LV does't take expansion draft nobody + Lehterä can't get traded + Sobotka returns?

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
I'm a little late to the party on this one, but I made my thoughts fairly well known in the Berglund thread that was up prior to the signing. By and large, I completely agree with Easton. In terms of market value, I think this is a very fair contract. He very likely would have done better on the UFA market, so it is hard to say that the terms are bad.

However, I completely agree with Easton that it is idiotic to allocate fair market value to Berglund gven the financial reality of this roster as constructed. This contract doesn't address any of the 2-3 glaring needs on this roster and instead ties up term and money in one of the few redundancies we have: bottom 6 centers.

If we can't get rid of Lehtera, this contract is a complete disaster. It prevents us from any hope of getting a top 6 center and might even make it difficult to just give Parayko the long term deal we should be giving him. This contract makes it absolutely mandatory to move Lehtera to have any hope whatsoever of addressing the top 6 center spot. If we can't find a taker for that contract, then we are looking at the exact same center group as this year. Even if we clear 100% of Lehtera's salary, we still don't have a ton of flexibility to get that top 6 center. Assume Parayko at $6 mil per and a total of $2.5 mil to fill 2 D spots and a forward spot (which is the rough cap hit of Barby and 2 in system D-men). That leaves less than $5 mil in space to find this elusive top 6 center. As Easton pointed out, most good players become available when teams can no longer afford them. Teams in cap crunches likely will want to move their overpaid center, not the one coming in under $5 mil.

Absolute best case scenario, this signing means we can only address 1 of 2-3 actual needs on the roster (and it limits our ability to do this). If everything goes perfectly, we will be able to lock up Parayko and get a top 6 center. We will still be weak at LD and we won't be able to upgrade RW at all. Barring movement of another top 6 forward, we enter next season with largely the same roster (addition of a top 6 center and subtraction of Lehtera/Shatty). I don't see how this is a great vision, considering the top 6 center will almost certainly be a 2C since our best-case-scenario budget is now under $5 mil.

Worst case scenario, we can't move Lehtera without holding on to tangible salary, so we enter next year with Stastny-Lehtera-Berglund down the middle again. And basically no cap space.

I just don't get this contract. Barring 3-4 fantastic moves by Army in the coming months, this contract essentially means that we are counting on Berglund to be our 2nd line center next year. In order to get a top 6 center for next season, we are going to have to spend significant assets because we just removed any and all cap flexibility we had. We just made ourselves even more desperate to move Lehtera's awful contract and we still don't have much cap space if/when we accomplish that. How many assets will it cost to shed Lehtera's salary and acquire a top 6 center that a team doesn't need to move based on cap constraints? Unless we are comfortable gutting the prospect/pick pool completely, we probably need to send Schwartz or Steen the other way. So now we are in a situation where we sacrifice Schwartz or Steen in order to keep Berglund, which is just baffling when we could have replaced Berglund with Sobotka or Barbashev for much less money.

In my opinion, I only see 2 possible realities based on this contract. Either Army doesn't have a vision for the roster moving forward or his vision is that the top 6 center issue will be solved from within by some combination of Barbashev, Thompson, or Kyrou. I'm not sure which is more concerning, because either that seems like a colossal waste of 1-2 more years of Petro, Fabbri, Tarasenko and Parayko.

I love Berglund as a fan. I'll still root for him, I'm excited that he may wind up as the longest tenured Blue, and I think he has been underrated a lot of his time here. If there was no salary cap I would love this move. But as a fan of the business side of sports, I despise this contract. It goes against every bit of intelligent cap management and severely limits the team's ability to address very real needs. For the first time in a long time, I don't think the Blues have a Cup window in the next 5 years. I just don't see how we are going to address our very real needs with the salaries we currently have on the books. It isn't just this contract, but this is the final nail IMO.

Last edited:

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
How many assets will it cost to shed Lehtera's salary and acquire a top 6 center that a team doesn't need to move based on cap constraints? Unless we are comfortable gutting the prospect/pick pool completely, we probably need to send Schwartz or Steen the other way. So now we are in a situation where we sacrifice Schwartz or Steen in order to keep Berglund, which is just baffling when we could have replaced Berglund with Sobotka or Barbashev for much less money.

This will sum up my thought as well how I see this hole situation.

I would have be just fine with lines:

Code:
Fabbri - Tkachyov - Tarasenko
Steen - Stastny - Perron
Schwartz - Sobotka - Barbashev 
Upshall - Brodziak - Reaves

or flip Stastny <-> Tkachyov. I'm just throwing Tkachyov in there, 'cus we don't have anymore assets to acquire top 6 center then go for UFA market. Idk, is he better fit then Lehterä? Tho he would be cheaper at least one year.

BleedBlue14

UrGeNcY
Feb 9, 2017
St. Louis
This will sum up my thought as well how I see this hole situation.

I would have be just fine with lines:

Code:
Fabbri - Tkachyov - Tarasenko
Steen - Stastny - Perron
Schwartz - Sobotka - Barbashev 
Upshall - Brodziak - Reaves

or flip Stastny <-> Tkachyov. I'm just throwing Tkachyov in there, 'cus we don't have anymore assets to acquire top 6 center then go for UFA market. Idk, is he better fit then Lehterä? Tho he would be cheaper at least one year.

So pretty much what i'm seeing here is you want to not use the guy at all that we just signed for 3.8m/year?? I don't see how this makes much sense whatsoever. and how is it logical to put a guy who you aren't sure if he's better than Lehtera on the top line that drastically needs a playmaker?

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
So pretty much what i'm seeing here is you want to not use the guy at all that we just signed for 3.8m/year?? I don't see how this makes much sense whatsoever. and how is it logical to put a guy who you aren't sure if he's better than Lehtera on the top line that drastically needs a playmaker?

I'm about 95% sure he meant that he would have ben fine with that instead of extending Bergie. Not that he thinks we should do that and scratch Bergie. I don't want to put words in his mouth, but that is what I took from it.

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
I'm about 95% sure he meant that he would have ben fine with that instead of extending Bergie. Not that he thinks we should do that and scratch Bergie. I don't want to put words in his mouth, but that is what I took from it.

You are right.

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
Patrick Berglund is last 18GP 2+5=7, Looks like Berglund isn't any near finding his some what kind of performe level. Damn he sucks. Fluky player who is most inconstintent player ever.

This contract is going to look terrible.

What it takes to get rid off Berglund's contract at off-season?

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
It wouldn’t surprise me at all to see him or Sobotka finish the year in Pittsburgh. I can’t see Berglund not waiving to go there, especially with his good friend Reaves on the team. Also helps that we’ve done a few deals with them in recent years.

I would love to dump that swerige pojkarna på Pens. Dream come true.

Vincenzo Arelliti

He Can't Play Center
Oct 13, 2014
Lisle, IL
I don't think Berglund will want to go to PIT. Despite the lack of praise on here, he is well liked by the team, as can be seen when they did a bunch of behind the scenes videos a few years ago. He and JBo are both well liked, actually. I don't think Berglund waives from the only team he has known to go to Pittsburgh. He's got a home here, and I don't think he would have the desire to change all of that. The Blues are good enough, and need him enough, where I don't think either team makes that move. With Stastny being un-signed, I think Armstrong wouldn't do that deal until he knows his top-9 centers for next season, and I don't think they view Sobotka as that guy.

simon IC

Sponsor
Sep 8, 2007
Canada
What would St Louis be expecting for either Berglund or Sobotka from the Pens? Picks? Prospects? Roster players?
Personally, I would like to get back in to the 2018 1st round, but I doubt the Blues do this, as it would be sending a bad message to the League, the team and the fans. I don't really see a deal happening, as I think the Blues 1st priority now is making the playoffs, at all and any costs. Hornqvist and Rust are players I covet, but I don't imagine Pittsburgh would want to part with either of them.

Reactions: Alklha

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad