Rumor: Berggren recently rejected Red Wings offer, Calgary and Montreal expressing interest - David Pagnotta

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
1A -4 in 2 games

At this rate, teams are gonna lose interest. Maybe Stevie's plan was to keep him in GR so he maintains trade value.

He looked squishy in the game tonight, hard to believe he's listed at 197 lbs.

Reactions: wings95 and 13to40

GordieHowYaDoin

Nov 9, 2022
Detroit/Nash
1A -4 in 2 games

At this rate, teams are gonna lose interest. Maybe Stevie's plan was to keep him in GR so he maintains trade value.

NHL GMs arent going to kneejerk over 2 games and suddenly lose interest in his potential like HFBoards users do.

Holden Caufield

Oct 9, 2020
Ontario
1A -4 in 2 games

He has played 3 games since being called up.
I correct you because the number of games played is extremely important.

If he plays one more NHL game he loses his waiver exemption forever.

Interesting decision ahead of next game. Yzerman seems to love burying Berggren in the AHL. Can he pass up his one last opportunity to do that again?

https://x.com/hockeytownwpod/status/1766215516459241847?s=46&t=EORasAr0xPy-g_5RTAlc0w

PajamaBoy

Sponsor
Sep 16, 2020
1A -4 in 2 games

Nah nah. Fans know more than the dude who has a track record of developing players. Berg and Ed should be here! I am a fan and it's my birth right to squeeze into playoffs.

Murmansk16A

Apr 29, 2022
Quite sure he goes down. That's why Czarnik was called up, to install him in and then switch Berggren to Sprong again.
I thought Yzerman said in his press conference after the trade deadline that if they brought Berggren back up he would be up to stay. That's how I understood it, anyway.

izlez

We need more toe-drags/60
Feb 28, 2012
I thought Yzerman said in his press conference after the trade deadline that if they brought Berggren back up he would be up to stay. That's how I understood it, anyway.
From what I remember, he acknowledged that a decision would need to be made at this point, and that yes if he reached the point where he needed to pass through waivers then he wouldn't be sent down any more

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
He has played 3 games since being called up.
I correct you because the number of games played is extremely important.

If he plays one more NHL game he loses his waiver exemption forever.

Interesting decision ahead of next game. Yzerman seems to love burying Berggren in the AHL. Can he pass up his one last opportunity to do that again?

https://x.com/hockeytownwpod/status/1766215516459241847?s=46&t=EORasAr0xPy-g_5RTAlc0w

Yeah, I posted that and realized the website I used hadn't updated stats with yesterday's game. He's -5 in 3 games, 1 assist.

NHL GMs arent going to kneejerk over 2 games and suddenly lose interest in his potential like HFBoards users do.

Kneejerk? No, but it's really obvious that he's still a work in progress and not ready to take on a starting role with a contender. The only teams that will want him are rebuilding teams.

I thought he played much better in his previous call up. Some of that is on his teammates, obviously.

Axel Sandy Pelikan

Jonatan Berggren is our Lord and Savior,
May 11, 2023
Anyone that wanted to actually trade him for real help just looks at this situation and throws up their hands... What the hell is even going on anymore with prospects.

Berggren has never been worth a ransom. You weren't trading him, outside of a much larger package, for anything that would be considered real help.

What's going on is that Berggren was one who has been trumpeted up as being good because he's a skill player without much snarl that scores points in lower leagues but doesn't play much of an NHL caliber game in his time in the show.

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
Berggren has never been worth a ransom. You weren't trading him, outside of a much larger package, for anything that would be considered real help.

What's going on is that Berggren was one who has been trumpeted up as being good because he's a skill player without much snarl that scores points in lower leagues but doesn't play much of an NHL caliber game in his time in the show.
Or maybe it's because for some reason many NHL coaches are stupid and don't utilize their young players appropriately.

You don't see too many NBA coaches bringing up young point guards to play center.
Or NFL coaches having wide receiver rookies play guard.

WTF does it make sense to bring up scoring forwards to stick on a line of crash n bang jobbers? And then evaluate said rookies on their ability to be a crash n bang jobber?

letsgowings9999

May 13, 2023
He isn't nearly as good as people try to make him out to be.

Send him back and try Mazur
Hes playing with a bunch of scraps on the bottom line , even with that he got 15 goals as a rookie on a bad roster

Problem with this team is they have too many small soft players. time will tell but i dont I yzerman resigns debrincat when the time comes. Hope soderblom makes the team soon and is an impactful player cause we need him to be

Reactions: wings95

13to40

Feb 29, 2016
Montreal
Or maybe it's because for some reason many NHL coaches are stupid and don't utilize their young players appropriately.

You don't see too many NBA coaches bringing up young point guards to play center.
Or NFL coaches having wide receiver rookies play guard.

WTF does it make sense to bring up scoring forwards to stick on a line of crash n bang jobbers? And then evaluate said rookies on their ability to be a crash n bang jobber?
Because he isn’t good enough to play in a scoring role in the big league.

If Berg is in your top 6, your NHL team isn’t winning more than 15 games all year. That means your team is pretty much competitive only in a wheel chair league.

Be realistic.

I wish the kid develops into more than he’s shown to date, but this is not a year for trial and error in hoping the player fights way above his weight class.

If things were different and we didn’t sign Kane and were in for another wasted year where our objective was a good draft position, then you would have seen a lot more of Berg.

This is a team fighting for a playoff spot with the objective to win.

I don’t like or watch the NBA, but I’m pretty sure a NBA team doesn’t call up a player to play unless they are ready to make an impact just like it is for every other professional league in the world.

theYman

Feb 28, 2008
Is Yzerman trying to shop him around by bringing him up because why would you bring up someone who obviously doesn't want to be here.

Reactions: wings95

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
Because he isn’t good enough to play in a scoring role in the big league.

If Berg is in your top 6, your NHL team isn’t winning more than 15 games all year. That means your team is pretty much competitive only in a wheel chair league.

Be realistic.

I wish the kid develops into more than he’s shown to date, but this is not a year for trial and error in hoping the player fights way above his weight class.

If things were different and we didn’t sign Kane and were in for another wasted year where our objective was a good draft position, then you would have seen a lot more of Berg.

This is a team fighting for a playoff spot with the objective to win.

I don’t like or watch the NBA, but I’m pretty sure a NBA team doesn’t call up a player to play unless they are ready to make an impact just like it is for every other professional league in the world.
This team has had Perron in a top 6 role most of the year. We'd survive the horrors of Burgers in the top 6.

13to40

Feb 29, 2016
Montreal
This team has had Perron in a top 6 role most of the year. We'd survive the horrors of Burgers in the top 6.

He isn’t better than Perron. Thats the argument. He can’t beat out anyone in the top 6 let alone the top 9. If he was better, then he would be in the current line up in the position you’re hoping for him to play in.

I’m not an NHL level scout, but the I’ve taken the time to analyse this player every shift he’s on the ice. He’s more of a liability than anything. I don’t disagree that higher up in the line up he would have a better chance to succeed, but this team doesn’t revolve around finding the best position for only this player to succeed. It’s about icing the best line up to win games.

Developing a player is what the lower tiered leagues are for.

Look at all the smaller (successful) players in the league. They all have a big weapon. Either a rocket of a shot, or incredible stick handing ability and a lot of agility. Being an above average (soft) playmaker isn’t enough unfortunately. Hopefully a maybe more time in the gym can help him out this offseason, but I’m pretty sure he already had bulked up a few off seasons ago from what I can remember.

letsgowings9999

May 13, 2023
He isn’t better than Perron. Thats the argument. He can’t beat out anyone in the top 6 let alone the top 9. If he was better, then he would be in the current line up in the position you’re hoping for him to play in.

I’m not an NHL level scout, but the I’ve taken the time to analyse this player every shift he’s on the ice. He’s more of a liability than anything. I don’t disagree that higher up in the line up he would have a better chance to succeed, but this team doesn’t revolve around finding the best position for only this player to succeed. It’s about icing the best line up to win games.

Look at all the smaller (successful) players in the league. They all have a big weapon. Either a rocket of a shot, or incredible stick handing ability and a lot of agility. Being an above average (soft) playmaker isn’t enough unfortunately. Hopefully a maybe more time in the gym can help him out this offseason, but I’m pretty sure he already had bulked up a few off seasons ago from what I can remember.

Perron is gonna be 36 ... has like 30 pts and 3 goals in his last 20 games . his best days are behind him and if hes even considered to be brought back it would have to be on the 4th line.

I'd much rather have berggren in the top 9 hes got more talent than some of the guys on this team but we play him with garbage players or insert him as the extra forward .it's ridiculous

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005

Right, because that's how it works.

Reactions: Filppula

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad