Rumor: Berggren recently rejected Red Wings offer, Calgary and Montreal expressing interest - David Pagnotta

GarlicbreadTB

Apr 16, 2015
As the Detroit Red Wings explore the market and look to add non-rental pieces to their roster, young forward Jonatan Berggren remains an asset they are dangling as bait. The 23-year-old is having an outstanding year in the AHL, with 38 points in 37 games to date, and performed well in a brief sting with the big club. But word is he recently rejected a contract extension pitched by the Red Wings and wants a shot at a full-time NHL gig, something he clearly isn’t getting right now in Detroit. Around five teams, including Calgary and Montreal, have expressed interest.

Reactions: Roomba With a Bauer

Detroit Knights

Feb 29, 2012
it says calgary was interested.....................................................................................................................................

i mean come on, writing is on the wall just give us hanifin and markstrom already and take reimer/husso/berggren/and a 1st and call it a damn day dammit. Don't twist my arm, I'll throw in wallinder and maybe even maatta but come on already.

Go Wings

Sep 26, 2009
Chatham, ON
it says calgary was interested.....................................................................................................................................

i mean come on, writing is on the wall just give us hanifin and markstrom already and take reimer/husso/berggren/and a 1st and call it a damn day dammit. Don't twist my arm, I'll throw in wallinder and maybe even maatta but come on already.
Why would we want Markstrom? Pass

Leibinger6

Jul 26, 2018
Yeah I don’t think this automatically means he’s getting dealt. If I’m JB’s agent I’m probably telling him to do the same. Keep him in the A all year, then try to secure an extension on the low. While it seems like a financially smart tactic by SY, it’s also glaringly obvious what he’s doing. Undoubtedly Bergie in the NHL would produce at a rate similar or greater than a Ras, while I’m sure SY is trying to pay him much less than what Ras just inked.

• Haha
Reactions: Steve Yzerlland

Leibinger6

Jul 26, 2018
Yeah I think he’s an add on (at best) to a bigger deal, but I could be wrong. Lot of uncertainty with a guy who had a fairly productive rookie season, then puts up a PPG on a lower scoring AHL team. If a rebuilding team projects him to continue development and become a regular, productive NHLer, I could see them valuing him as a mid-late 1st round pick. IF Steve can sell him just not squeezing into a top 6 role, that will help boost his perceived value.

13to40

Feb 29, 2016
Montreal
Edvinsson will likely do the same eventually the way things are going
Difference is Edvinsson can be up as soon as next year.

Edvinsson is a big boy and not small and fragile like Bergy is.

Bergy is a top 6 or bust player. Offensively talented, no doubt in his offensive capabilities… but not defensively sound at all. Can’t be deployed in a checking role either.

Had the team not acquired the likes of Kane this year, maybe we would be seeing more of Bergy with the wings.

Do I blame him for wanting out? No not at all. Do I think if he’s moved he will take the world by the horns and be a star, no not at all. He will have an average NHL career.

Would love to be proved wrong, but I think as a fan base, we hyped up this kid way too much and now reality is finally setting in.

GarlicbreadTB

Apr 16, 2015
I think Edvinsson is fine. Lidstrom explained it in a swedish interview during the games in Stockholm that the Wings wanted Edvinsson to learn PK and play big minutes in Grand Rapids over a minimal role up with the Wings. He also expected him to be in Detroit full time next season.

Plus the fact Edvinsson is Yzerman's own pick compared to Berggren probably plays into it too.

Last edited:

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Sprong 2.0, lol. Hopefully he brings back something better than Djoos. (Yes, they were traded for each other.)

Yeah I don’t think this automatically means he’s getting dealt. If I’m JB’s agent I’m probably telling him to do the same. Keep him in the A all year, then try to secure an extension on the low. While it seems like a financially smart tactic by SY, it’s also glaringly obvious what he’s doing. Undoubtedly Bergie in the NHL would produce at a rate similar or greater than a Ras, while I’m sure SY is trying to pay him much less than what Ras just inked.
I don't think his production was ever an issue, it's his defense. I thought he looked a lot better in his last call up, and that's why he's bitter. I don't blame him.

I find it funny that Stevie treated Zadina better than Burger. I bet Burger would sign that same contract.

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
Difference is Edvinsson can be up as soon as next year.

Edvinsson is a big boy and not small and fragile like Bergy is.

Bergy is a top 6 or bust player. Offensively talented, no doubt in his offensive capabilities… but not defensively sound at all. Can’t be deployed in a checking role either.

Had the team not acquired the likes of Kane this year, maybe we would be seeing more of Bergy with the wings.

Do I blame him for wanting out? No not at all. Do I think if he’s moved he will take the world by the horns and be a star, no not at all. He will have an average NHL career.

Would love to be proved wrong, but I think as a fan base, we hyped up this kid way too much and now reality is finally setting in.
You mean like Fabs and Sprong who [checks notes] aren't top 6 players?

Reactions: Cake Eater

SantosHalper

Get off my lawn
Mar 21, 2012
somewhere around nothing
I think Edvinsson is fine. Lidstrom explained it in a swedish interview during the games in Stockholm that the Wings wanted to Edvinsson to learn PK and play big minutes in Grand Rapids over a minimal role up with the Wings. He also expected him to be in Detroit full time next season.
The meaningful minutes speach again. Kasper, Danielson and Mazur gets the same after the next camp. "They were realgud but there wasn't enough center spots for Kasper and Danielson, we want them to play in every situation, not just play."

GarlicbreadTB

Apr 16, 2015
The meaningful minutes speach again. Kasper, Danielson and Mazur gets the same after the next camp. "They were realgud but there wasn't enough center spots for Kasper and Danielson, we want them to play in every situation, not just play."

Well maybe cope but for some time I've been predicting that both Kasper and Danielson will make the team next camp 😎

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
I think Edvinsson is fine. Lidstrom explained it in a swedish interview during the games in Stockholm that the Wings wanted Edvinsson to learn PK and play big minutes in Grand Rapids over a minimal role up with the Wings. He also expected him to be in Detroit full time next season.

Plus the fact Edvinsson is Yzerman's own pick compared to Berggren probably plays into it too.
There are big and meaningful minutes being played by mediocre at best defensemen in the NHL right now. The whole "the playoff run by GR will be a great learning experience for ED" narrative is just as applicable with the run the Wings are making. We should be wanting him to learn how to be an NHL defenseman and not an AHL defenseman.

Reactions: Unfriendly Ghost

ColdToiletSeats

Jul 10, 2006
Detroit

I went to the wings flames game last year and Markstrom shut us out 3-0... that mofo takes up the whole net we would def be a better team with him in net.

Reactions: Detroit Knights

GarlicbreadTB

Apr 16, 2015
There are big and meaningful minutes being played by mediocre at best defensemen in the NHL right now. The whole "the playoff run by GR will be a great learning experience for ED" narrative is just as applicable with the run the Wings are making. We should be wanting him to learn how to be an NHL defenseman and not an AHL defenseman.

I don't disagree with you in that sense. But I think whilst Edvinsson is learning the ropes down in the Grand Rapids I think Yzerman and co signed some of these older D-men to learn some of the current young players the ways of being a pro so they can do the same when Edvinsson and others are up. I know us internet people roll our eyes at veteran presence and passing it on the to young players, but its very much a thing.

Reactions: Henkka

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3