Confirmed with Link: Bergevin signs extension

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
I don't think I've ever read a thread as unanimous as this one for a coach/GM that's been around for over 3 years. I seem to remember the reviews being fairly mixed as recent as the last summer.

There's a first for everything, I suppose.

Hard to dismiss a GM that got us within spitting distance of the Cup for the first time since Patrick Roy wore the CH. Here we are, ready to contend. Despite our differences, every Habs fan has to enjoy breathing the air from the top of the mountain. I figure Marc has about two years to crash through the playoff ceiling and get the team to the SCF. If that doesn't happen the counter-arguments start gathering weight.

CHarlie

They feed me CHicken
Feb 3, 2012
Ontario
McyAdV.gif

Is that Chris Higgins in the background.....head bopping........:D

Stjonnypopo

Rgesitreed Uesr
Jan 26, 2009
Mount Doom
No brainer I think.

He's changed the whole Canadiens culture since he came here.

The habs have a long history of being a classy team and before Bergy came its reputation was dwindling a bit with PG who was very much unclassy, and Gainey who I think wasn't a bad GM but wasn't the right fit for this team. Bergy has brought up back to the top of the league in reputation, and in skill.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Hard to dismiss a GM that got us within spitting distance of the Cup for the first time since Patrick Roy wore the CH. Here we are, ready to contend. Despite our differences, every Habs fan has to enjoy breathing the air from the top of the mountain. I figure Marc has about two years to crash through the playoff ceiling and get the team to the SCF. If that doesn't happen the counter-arguments start gathering weight.

Definitely feels good to be a Habs fan right now. Things are looking promising. That said, it's not all said and done, we need to get that top 6 guy.

Habsawce

Nov 16, 2010
Canada
If we're going to get our noses out joint for spell check, ESL homonyms, let's just all jump on a live grenade right now. Hehe

Yeah, I hear you. It's just that he gets paid actual dollars to write so if he needs someone to spell check his English tweets then get it done.

At the end of the day, it doesn't matter one iota. Just something that bothers me personally!

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec
Yeah, I hear you. It's just that he gets paid actual dollars to write so if he needs someone to spell check his English tweets then get it done.

At the end of the day, it doesn't matter one iota. Just something that bothers me personally!

Far as I'm concerned, if you are getting paid to write and still making the there/their/they're mistake. You deserve that criticism.

V13

Fire Sell Tank
Sep 21, 2005
M1 Habsram
He's liked by almost the whole fan base. That's pretty rare for a GM. He's both professionnal, always seems to have a plan, and actually seems like a good guy.

Gainey was seen the same way before his daughter died tho, then he (understandably) went downhill.

Apprently he's also well liked by other GMs and players as well which probably help him land all those cheap deals and signings he's made in the last couple of years.

Hackett

BAKAMAN
Mar 4, 2002
Visit site
Definitely feels good to be a Habs fan right now. Things are looking promising. That said, it's not all said and done, we need to get that top 6 guy.

The hardest part would be finding an insurance policy for Markov. Maybe MB is okay with the risk of Markov slowing down or getting hurt with no great internal solution available, but MB seems to love the idea of having a boatload of D.

GoodKiwi

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2006
So is this a six year extension? Asking because I'm not sure when his current deal expires. Not that it matters much, I'm just curious.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
So is this a six year extension? Asking because I'm not sure when his current deal expires. Not that it matters much, I'm just curious.

Looks that way, since 2016 is the last of his current deal.

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
People have been bringing this Timmins might leave idea for years. It's getting redundant. He might leave one year, sure, but it won't be because he's got some bad relationship with management. The guys has been here for 14 years, four of which has been under Bergevin regime, it's pretty clear he's happy.
If he moves on it'll be because he wants a new start, challenge, somewhere else. Nothing we can do about it.

As for Bergevin, this better not be an excuse to be even more patient. Go for that big winger.

Well true....but that's a new development. Was there before....was probably no openings, Bergevin keeps him. But now....here's a freakin long term commitment for Bergevin. We will now see where he stands with that. In all honesty.....I wouldn't panic over it anymore. Maybe a change of orientation of a pair of new eyes could be good. Though, my problem is that if it's not Timmins....it's probably Churla.....and I'm not sure that it will be better....

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal

He still isn't ready to come out and say SC or bust.
He likes to temper our expectations with his 16 teams have a chance mantra.
Maybe I'm just old school but I want my teams going in with that all or nothing approach.
Can you imagine the press if Team Canada took that stance before a major event?
"Yeah we are looking to get to the knockout stage" ;)
No way man we are going for nothing but GOLD. :D

Aside from that he has put us back on the map in the eyes of the league.
The value of this has impacted our Franchise as per Forbes.
More importantly we are slowly becoming a destination for "cup mongers"

GHG

Bob Cole

Tom ******* Brady
Oct 30, 2009
very well deserved

thank ****ing god that Molson didnt hire McGuire instead :laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad